5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pros and Cons of e-tourque?

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^ very much so. Really forget brakes part. Sure it’s still money and time to change and don’t want to spend. At same nothing to level price or time of transmission/transfer case or diffs. Reduce/remove shock loads they can endure.

As I do pump this up as a pro to have. I do keep thinking time will tell. How much abuse The system can withstand before component failures.
I’ve personally seen other like systems out there that have great results with years and mileage on them. Though those systems were different platform & not meant to do what the engineers on e torq hemis has lined up.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
I'm still shopping around, but I did get to test drive a v6 and I could barely notice the eTorque system. My concern is the longevity of the system. I like how they made the system 'smart'

My boss has a 2018 F-150 and regardless of the time or day, regardless about any of the vehicle settings, that puppy shuts off at a light and takes a push on the gas pedal to get it to turn on.

When I drove the v6 - The dealer and I both came to the conclusion that the eTorque has to meet certain criteria. Eg. The cabin has to be cool enough when it detects that it's too hot and is still cooling down. It detected that the hood was not properly shut and would not shut down.

Little things like that impress me, but they're untested durability wise. Will it really make a huge impact on the system if it dies? Maybe not, maybe if it dies, it's treated like a normal v8/v6? Who knows.

But I'm impressed with it and makes me more comfortable getting a V6 over a V8 as I don't want to spend the extra $1000+ currently. However, I heard that newer builds are making the eTorque standard and not an upgrade. You have to ask for the regular V8, that's what I heard from my sales rep and he seemed pretty knowledgeable when I talked to him about it.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Deriggs007 , understand your concern, with thoughts of that myself. With a decent amount of confidence as automotive recent history has shown. I don’t see any issues about battery pack issue nor the electronics controlling the system in short future to come. The starter/generator well idk it’s engineered to be a hard worker on our trucks. With higher climate temps regions as myself and most regions with decent temp lvl summers I’m little worried. To a point, I would say that’s the weak point.
The system does have a 8yr/80k warranty on it, depending on state live in it maybe way more.

wizdum0926

Reaction score
I have it. Total waste. I see absolutely no benefit whatsoever. If anything it's a liability since it's just another thing to break. Fortunately, I've had zero issues but I'd still skip it if in a position to do over again. Seems pointless now that I've been living with it.

Pro: I can virtue signal
Con: I wasted money on something that doesn't do anything significant.
mine broke and right at 41k miles, dealership tried to tell me it wasn't under warranty because they told me electrical would be covered under bumper to bumper warranty and not the power train.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
mine broke and right at 41k miles, dealership tried to tell me it wasn't under warranty because they told me electrical would be covered under bumper to bumper warranty and not the power train.
The system is covered under the 8/80 emissions warranty, as @Nails wrote. Welcome to the forum.

Sensei

Reaction score
I bought a used 2019 limited a few days ago. Didn't even realize it had etorque for a couple days. I just came from a Volvo S90 with start/stop (no hybrid). Why this matters is I can tell a big difference in the start/stop tech between the luxury import and the Ram. The good news is, the etorque on the Ram completely eliminates the negative driver aspect of the start/stop as there is absolutely zero delay from the time you remove the brake until you are moving. The Volvo had one of the better start/stop systems, but still had a minor 1/2 second delay, then another 1-2 seconds of reduced power. The Ram simply did start/stop right. By the way, I am not an advocate for start/stop, but if you're going to have it, do it like Ram. I've been averaging 18-19 MPG mixed over the last 400 miles. 3.21 on 4x4.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did the dealer end up covering the cost to fix/replace? Haven't had any issues with mine but I'm still a little worried about the whole eTorque thing...

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have etorque and have had no issues nor any regrets. I'm also understanding what performance gains I should expect and fuel mileage. My expectations are improved fuel mileage predominately in town which I see. I regularly see 17-18 mpg in the city however I can also feel etorque in standing start acceleration and in braking under 25 mph. I'm happy with my decision with etorque and more happy with the mileage.

IMG2010726478711434457.jpg
This is 80-85% city driving

PaulieWalnutz

Reaction score
Just read this thread.. wondering if any of you guys with etorque have had any issues or are still happy with them. (I’m waiting on my build with 5.7 etorque, )

Users who are viewing this thread