5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Programming keys

Dannyd715

Reaction score
I just replaced the wireless control module on my 2019 ram 1500 Lonestar how do I go about programming my keys to the truck again ???

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks i thought there would be a way to do it…calling locksmiths now dealer expecting me to tow it there and pay programming fee
You CAN do it, but you need to pay for the tool, and also either a subscription or fee for the rolling code.
For a single set of keys it's not worth it imo. I think it's around $450 for the set to start.

Dannyd715

Reaction score
You CAN do it, but you need to pay for the tool, and also either a subscription or fee for the rolling code.
For a single set of keys it's not worth it imo. I think it's around $450 for the set to start

i am here with the locksmith and when I tell you he has been here for about an hour and 35 minutes that’s me being nice he is talking about having to get codes from the manufacturer … in the beginning he was asking 400 and change to programs the keys so I told him just do one for 195 and I paid and I’ll take the truck to the dealer to get the second one done… he is having a hard *** time that he said he will have to get a second code from the manufacturer and it’ll cost and extra 50$ but that would include the second key as well so for 245 both keys I basically said take my money and hurry up my boy

Last edited by a moderator:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
He's never done programming on a Ram then.

Should be about $85 s key on normal.

He was prov asking for $400 so he would still make money after buying the correct tool and subscription to make keys.

Rough lol.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
How much was the programming fee?
He misquoted my post and put his text inside of the quote

i am here with the locksmith and when I tell you he has been here for about an hour and 35 minutes that’s me being nice he is talking about having to get codes from the manufacturer … in the beginning he was asking 400 and change to programs the keys so I told him just do one for 195 and I paid and I’ll take the truck to the dealer to get the second one done… he is having a hard *** time that he said he will have to get a second code from the manufacturer and it’ll cost and extra 50$ but that would include the second key as well so for 245 both keys I basically said take my money and hurry up my boy

Dannyd715

Reaction score
How much was the programming fee?
He charged me 195$ for 1key and guess what after all the bs he still couldn’t program it he said it was a mechanical issue boy am I stuck I have no clue where to start maybe a sensor ?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
He charged me 195$ for 1key and guess what after all the bs he still couldn’t program it he said it was a mechanical issue boy am I stuck I have no clue where to start maybe a sensor ?
Send it to the dealer.

Reaction score
i don't have a issue but i would rather have a traditional key and a fob. maybe it's just me but i loose my key sometimes in the dam truck and if it was stuck in a lock cylinder it would never be hard to find....

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
i don't have a issue but i would rather have a traditional key and a fob. maybe it's just me but i loose my key sometimes in the dam truck and if it was stuck in a lock cylinder it would never be hard to find....
It's hard for me to lose it unless it was to fall out of my pocket. Never had that issue. I don't even need to remove it from my pocket ever except to hang on the hook at home. Hope to never have a key for vehicle ever again.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If the keys have already been programmed once for a different box, rumor is they cannot be programmed again (reprogrammed). You'd need a brand new fob, or so I read.

Soon, there won't be fobs anymore. Just apps on our smartphones (that don't work 10% of the time :ROFLMAO: ).

Dannyd715

Reaction score
If the keys have already been programmed once for a different box, rumor is they cannot be programmed again (reprogrammed). You'd need a brand new fob, or so I read.

Soon, there won't be fobs anymore. Just apps on our smartphones (that don't work 10% of the time :ROFLMAO: ).
They are sending another tech tomorrow and I was actually told this by another locksmith but these guys swore they could do it I’ll update tomorrow

Dannyd715

Reaction score
they charge how much for this???
😭this some bullllll see im not sure if what he is doing is programming a new key fob mine are the original fobs that came with the truck … i assumed after replacing the wireless control module that they could be re programmed

Dannyd715

Reaction score
all right guys this is where I’m at they came they left and I’m still without a truck … they said it’s the wireless control module that is basically not programmed to the truck what’s that about ? They left me some codes I’m about to take a loss and get it towed to the dealer ship I’m over it

Attachments

• IMG_2724.jpeg
    IMG_2724.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 15

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/