5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Programming keys

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What part did you actually replace? Sometimes we call a part something it's not, I'm not sure a WCM is used on the DT ram...

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
all right guys this is where I’m at they came they left and I’m still without a truck … they said it’s the wireless control module that is basically not programmed to the truck what’s that about ? They left me some codes I’m about to take a loss and get it towed to the dealer ship I’m over it
Isn't that the whole thing? You said originally you replaced the module, so why are you surprised? The module is a security feature which is what the FOB communicates with. So, yes, it needs to be programmed to the truck.

Reaction score
just like you can access the truck with a key if the door is locked with a dead battery IMO there should be a way to start it with a key, but apparently RAM didn't see it that way. i'm beating a dead horse.....

vincentw56

Reaction score
just like you can access the truck with a key if the door is locked with a dead battery IMO there should be a way to start it with a key, but apparently RAM didn't see it that way. i'm beating a dead horse.....
Welcome to the future.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wouldn't make a difference if what needs to read the key to start isn't programmed or working. Vehicles have had security keys for well over 20 years.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Wouldn't make a difference if what needs to read the key to start isn't programmed or working. Vehicles have had security keys for well over 20 years.
I'm old enough to remember the first keys with those little chips embedded in the metal and exposed in the keys. GM I think.

skyhawk42

Reaction score
The rf hub does need to be programmed to the truck from what I’m told, you can’t just swap it out. After that you program the fobs. If we could just swap them out it would make it much simpler for those with the water intrusion issues.

Reaction score
I'm old enough to remember the first keys with those little chips embedded in the metal and exposed in the keys. GM I think.
in a former life i was a Cadillac tech. vats = vehicle anti theft system. they used 20 deferent resistors actually good for the era. gm still used that till the 2000's and had the chip built inside the key more like a transponder. when you do a LS swap ya program that feature out. ahh the good old days. with the price of trucks as high as they are i get why we are at this point. a thief will always find a way but making it as hard for them a possible is a thing.

Users who are viewing this thread