5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problems filling gas tank

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a crazy occurrence the other day while filling up. It never stopped!! All of a sudden I saw gas splashing out while I was holding the handle. Not sure what caused that, but man I hope it doesn't happen again.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had a crazy occurrence the other day while filling up. It never stopped!! All of a sudden I saw gas splashing out while I was holding the handle. Not sure what caused that, but man I hope it doesn't happen again.
Bad pump handle. Should have reported it to attendants inside

TopD

Reaction score
I was having an issue while filling my tank, the nozzle would continue to click off. Took it back to my dealer, they replaced my 33-gallon tank under warranty. All the service tech would tell me was that there is a sensor that is in the tank that cannot be fixed. If you're having this issue, I suggest you check with your dealer.

Sparcky

Reaction score
I was told by my dealer that it was a flap inside the filler tank pipe that was not working. I have the no gas cap tank. It has one flap at the top, and I was told a lower flap. Seem something to do with the lower flap can wear out and cause an issue. Dealer told me in some models there was a problem with the tank, in my 2019, I have the new tank, so it's the filler neck that needs replacing. Not covered by warranty as its over my 60K. I have never held the nozzle upside down, but I hold it more at 9 or 3 o'clock and it fills without shutting off. When the handle is vertical it will shut off occasionally.

Scorch95

Reaction score
The dealer said my tank has to be replaced but still waiting for a tank to arrive. Last time I checked I still had 6 others in front of me waiting for replacements as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
happened to me for the first time last week. luckily it was just below zero here in Illinois, so i was able to stand outside the entire time holding/jiggling/and resetting the pump. lucky me! :)

66Fuelie

Reaction score
Just happened to me today, I finally left without a full tank....
Tom

Klicht87

Reaction score
I just had the filler neck replaced by the dealer because the pumps keep shutting off. I've filled it once since and it worked fine. They did mention before I left the dealer that there is something else they can do if it comes to that. I should have asked what it was but from what others are saying, if the filler neck doesn't fix the issue, the tank or something on top of the tank is the next thing.

RedWhite&PatriotBlue

Reaction score
Damn this issue is so annoying...just stood in the blowing snow trying to fill my 33-gal tank with 28-gal of gas. Clicked off the pump at least 20+ times. I could only fill maybe 1 to 1.5 gal at a time. Does anyone know the TSB for this issue?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Damn this issue is so annoying...just stood in the blowing snow trying to fill my 33-gal tank with 28-gal of gas. Clicked off the pump at least 20+ times. I could only fill maybe 1 to 1.5 gal at a time. Does anyone know the TSB for this issue?
I bet your dealer has that information. You can't walk into a delayer with a TSB number and tell them to perform the work. That's just not how it works. You take it in with a specific complaint, and they will be able to find any applicable TSB.

Klicht87

Reaction score
I had the filler neck replaced on my recently but I'm still having the same issue. I need to make another appointment. As someone else suggested, pull the nozzle out a little bit and it works. Stupid capless gas tanks

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I find this to be slightly annoying as well, especially with a 33 gallon tank. I’ve noticed that, when the pump is on the driver side, I have less of an issue with this, maybe 5 or so less click offs. When I am stretching the hose across the bed, it is more consistent. I pull the nozzle completely out, re-insert, and 50/50 it will continue with no click offs.

But, I have also had instances where it didn’t click at all until full, and I am done in under 3 minutes. It’s annoying, but don’t think there is anything wrong with mines, just normal, everyday gremlins that show up once and a while, I guess. Every time I pull into the station, the thought of “how long will it take today” always pops into my head. I regularly fill at Sam’s Club, and they have passing lanes on both sides of the aisle, so being “that guy” holding up the line is a non factor, but I still get the looks from other drivers. When they see the 100+ dollars on the screen, they shut up fast. I mean, cmon…33 gallons don’t just fill up like that. It’s gonna be a bit.

And yes, if it doesn’t stop, it is a faulty handle. Ran the Marine Corps gas stations on island before my current stint as the Bowling Center/Theater manager, and we would be inspecting/changing handles every six months. This is also why the locks are removed, too. If that handle went bad, and they locked it, or put their gas cap in the handle then walked away from their car…well, do the math. 🤦🏻‍♂️
Leaving you vehicle unattended while filling gas is a no no on base, and if you are caught with an object in the handle, the rest of your day is gonna suck.

Excuse my rambling…carry on😁

Redtrucks

Reaction score
After having my fuel tank replaced the tanked filled fine for about 2 months and now it’s acting up again. Pretty frustrating trying to fill up when it’s -20 out and the wind is blowing. Tried 3 different gas stations and nozzle placement but nothing helped. Waiting to hear from the dealer on what they will try next.

RedWhite&PatriotBlue

Reaction score
I bet your dealer has that information. You can't walk into a delayer with a TSB number and tell them to perform the work. That's just not how it works. You take it in with a specific complaint, and they will be able to find any applicable TSB.
The dealer is familiar with the issue after talking with them. Luckily, I have a good contact in the Service department, and I talked through it with him. This issue is air cannot be expelled quickly enough, causing pressure to build up that pushed gas back up the filler neck. Something with the cold magnifies the issue. I filled up with 27 gal in 60 degF weather and had no issue, at the same pump.

Boston

Reaction score
Have them do a smoke test of the Evap purge valve. If that's stuck closed, fumes generated when filling the tank increase the pressure in the tank, and shut the filler off

Users who are viewing this thread