5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Rancidlunchmeat

Reaction score
Alright,

Finally was able to negotiate something and should hopefully sign tomorrow. Will get to drive away with something nice until my vehicle gets delivered to me.

Anyways:
MSRP $58,960
Dealer discount: $8,434(had to negotiate for more)
Aftermarket (this is negative equity):$2,164
Fee's: $193
Taxes: $3,027.63
Price: $55,434.63
Rebates: $5,000
Total: $49,934.63 OTD

That's 18% off MSRP with dealer discounts or 23% after rebates including the negative equity. 25% if didn't have any.

I can't follow your math, I also don't understand why people include taxes and fees in their prices. In Cali, my taxes, title, fee's, etc.. are going to make any deal I would get look way worse than say TX or FL (especially because trade ins don't reduce tax liability here because Cali sucks).

You also didn't include the trim? 59k seems like a medium optioned Limited or Longhorn or an Up-optioned Laramie?

Rancidlunchmeat

Reaction score
This makes no sense to me. I mean I understood what you wrote, but it’s all part of the total rebate, or incentive, on each model.

It’s what I was trying to say, you always have more dealer supplied rebates on the lower trims. At least until the end of the year or some kind of special deal. But typically yor big horn and Laramie will have way more factory rebates than longhorn/rebel/limited. It’s also geographical, business areas often get 500+ more on the same models depending on zip code.

Eh, I was reticent to get into this because I didn't like the tone of the discussion, but I think there's some good points here and things we should try to properly define, so I'm going to jump in anyway.

The way I see it, Incentives are offered by the manufacturer by trim level. For example, there's $4.2k incentive on Bighorn $3.7k on Laramie, and only $1.2 on Rebel and up. That's cash back off MSRP. Rebates also come from the manufacturer and apply across all trim levels, for example Military, USAA, Conquest, etc.. Dealer discounts is a different beast entirely, and they vary based upon the specific VIN and individual vehicle. For example, I've seen dealers (legit) that advertise different dealer discounts for the identical truck: one will have a dealer discount of $6000, another will be $5000. Both same options, same color, same MSRP. Why is the discount different on one? That's something only the dealer knows. I imagine its because the one with the higher discount has been sitting on the lot longer and they are more motivated to sell it.

Either way, the point is that not everybody will qualify for the rebates: they are specific to the individual buyer. Everybody will qualify for incentives, but those are specific to the trim they are purchasing. The dealer discount is what we should all be focused on. That's how we really know we're getting a good deal or not. Also, dealer discounts are the opposite of incentives. RAM offers larger incentives on their lower trim models. Dealers will offer lower discounts on those lower trims. The higher trims have the most profit built into them, the lowest RAM incentives, but the biggest opportunity for dealer discounts.

I just want to make it clear when we're talking about "% off MSRP", it absolutely matters which trim you are discussing and whether or not you are including rebates that you got that other's might not qualify for (although, the rebates usually don't stack and aren't all that significant in the big picture).

Deriggs007

Reaction score
I can't follow your math, I also don't understand why people include taxes and fees in their prices. In Cali, my taxes, title, fee's, etc.. are going to make any deal I would get look way worse than say TX or FL (especially because trade ins don't reduce tax liability here because Cali sucks).

You also didn't include the trim? 59k seems like a medium optioned Limited or Longhorn or an Up-optioned Laramie?

Sorry, I went to edit my post initially, but I guess I didn't click save. I'll do that tomorrow.
The reason people provide taxes/fees in their prices is to help those gauge what others are paying from relative dealerships. Simply, the more people who offer more details in a purchase, the more data there will be available to do figure out what is/isn't good.

You may find a better deal in discounts in California, but then eat more in taxes and other fees for example. It's more or less to help benefit those that are shopping around the same areas as another person. Some states are only a couple hours away from other dealers in separate states. So if they do enough research, they may find some useful information here.

For example, I found one dealer in my region had like $750+ in document fees. Whereas 4-6 others had only $150. It's just extra things to look out for.

feaguy

Reaction score
I would recommend that dealer to everyone I know if they are throwing those kind of deals. Almost 30% off the sticker, I can endure a a little pain

Baxter in Lincoln,
Eh, I was reticent to get into this because I didn't like the tone of the discussion, but I think there's some good points here and things we should try to properly define, so I'm going to jump in anyway.

The way I see it, Incentives are offered by the manufacturer by trim level. For example, there's $4.2k incentive on Bighorn $3.7k on Laramie, and only $1.2 on Rebel and up. That's cash back off MSRP. Rebates also come from the manufacturer and apply across all trim levels, for example Military, USAA, Conquest, etc.. Dealer discounts is a different beast entirely, and they vary based upon the specific VIN and individual vehicle. For example, I've seen dealers (legit) that advertise different dealer discounts for the identical truck: one will have a dealer discount of $6000, another will be $5000. Both same options, same color, same MSRP. Why is the discount different on one? That's something only the dealer knows. I imagine its because the one with the higher discount has been sitting on the lot longer and they are more motivated to sell it.

Either way, the point is that not everybody will qualify for the rebates: they are specific to the individual buyer. Everybody will qualify for incentives, but those are specific to the trim they are purchasing. The dealer discount is what we should all be focused on. That's how we really know we're getting a good deal or not. Also, dealer discounts are the opposite of incentives. RAM offers larger incentives on their lower trim models. Dealers will offer lower discounts on those lower trims. The higher trims have the most profit built into them, the lowest RAM incentives, but the biggest opportunity for dealer discounts.

I just want to make it clear when we're talking about "% off MSRP", it absolutely matters which trim you are discussing and whether or not you are including rebates that you got that other's might not qualify for (although, the rebates usually don't stack and aren't all that significant in the big picture).

It doesn't matter if you qualify for all the rebates or don't have the best regional offers in the area.

Because the guy that does qualify for those rebates and who does live in the area will get a better deal. It's important to know that. I bought my truck out of state for that reason.

I don't get why it's so hard to understand unless you don't like the information on this board and how it relates to what kind of a deal you think you got.

Your points are moot because most people are listing the rebates and discounts along with MSRP and sale price, so you can gleen the info for your own "personalized metric" if you are mainly concerned with dealer discount by trim.

Jhas

Reaction score
Yes. I got a Laramie 4x2 with v8
Black apperance package. Advanced safety group. 12” uconnect. 33gal tank and couple other things.

I’m getting it at covert in austin.

I’m in Austin looking to buy a Longhorn....Covert shoot you a good deal? Who did you use as a salesperson?

Thanks
Jhas

Stasek

Reaction score
And.... the powers that be decided to screw up the "search" function on the mothership website.... Really? It was working (mostly) fine. SMH....

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m in Austin looking to buy a Longhorn....Covert shoot you a good deal? Who did you use as a salesperson?

Thanks
Jhas

You might check out Nyle Maxwell too. Just bought a Longhorn from them with an 18.3% discount off of MSRP. That’s before tax, etc.

I bought my 2015 Mustang GT from Covert and had a pretty good experience with them too. The Mustang is about to be up for sale.

Happy hunting/shopping!

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i thought rebates were based on where you will register it? When I asked out of state dealers they always ask for my zip code and give me the rebates that apply to my area, not where I am picking up the truck.

Yes. They are. Same with taxes. You can’t save any money by buying out of state other than the dealer discount itself. And maybe the dealer fees too if you have an expensive state mandated one like some places do.

feaguy

Reaction score
Yes. They are. Same with taxes. You can’t save any money by buying out of state other than the dealer discount itself. And maybe the dealer fees too if you have an expensive state mandated one like some places do.

Wrong.

i thought rebates were based on where you will register it? When I asked out of state dealers they always ask for my zip code and give me the rebates that apply to my area, not where I am picking up the truck.

I have property there, but registered it elsewhere. All you really need is a mailing address. In the case of the title, I had it mailed to my local DMV after the sale.

feaguy

Reaction score
Yes, it’s still clear.

You’re assuming every buyer has the same budget.

Quite a few people don’t want leather and would never look at the Laramie. Others hate the grill or lights on the longhorn and limited, while some really want the black appearance package.

So if you are shopping for a specific trim it’s important to know when you’re getting a decent deal or not.

My example was literally comparing like for like as far as MSRP is concerned, which is my point. If you didn't know how heavily discounted Big Horns can be, some would think a 55K MSRP truck would be out of their budget of $40k. In my case, it came out well below that. You are locking yourself into a trim level before you look at pricing across the whole range. Knowing what the trucks actually sell for can definitely change minds on what you think you want as price is king.

They don't really list the incentives. You have to kind of pick out the vehicle and go from there. I looked on my local dealer's site and it looks like most of the Bighorns have about $6-7k incentives.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/lineup.incentives.html?app=incentives

You can browse incentives by area through the zip code. They seem to be region based (Southwest, etc.).

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wrong.

I have property there, but registered it elsewhere. All you really need is a mailing address. In the case of the title, I had it mailed to my local DMV after the sale.

So let’s break this down so a dumbass simpleton like myself can understand it.

So you live in one state, but didn’t buy there because of higher prices. You then went to a different state, where you own property that’s not your primary living address, and bought a truck.

And although rebates aren’t based on your location, and you could have used your primary address, you didn’t. You used the alternate address in the state/area which you were buying?

And even though you used this alternate address as where you were going to register/own this vehicle, you are actually registering it back in your primary address state because that is in fact where you live and will be using this truck?

professorwest

Reaction score
I saw my truck today (Feb 03) at the dealer, they have to put on a few accessories for me, as it is still in "shipping state", but again, Ordered on Dec 15 was delivered Feb 01 - that was 7 weeks :) - FYI

professorwest

Reaction score
And by the way, my long journey is over , and if you wanted to know the deal I got back in Nov .. that concluded today - with them keep upping my trade in (so incentives aren't a totally clean formula) ; and this is with EP pricing - I was 22.5% off MSRP all said and done with my order. Let me stress this isn't normal. They messed up a couple of my deals back in the day, and they made up for it. So if you love the negotiation dance and process - high volume dealers is the way to go :) . Was it worth it? Meh, I don't know, I wasn't in a rush, but I held out for exactly what I wanted and I got it. I would say, don't short yourself - get what you want and hold out for it.

feaguy

Reaction score
So let’s break this down so a dumbass simpleton like myself can understand it.

So you live in one state, but didn’t buy there because of higher prices. You then went to a different state, where you own property that’s not your primary living address, and bought a truck.

And although rebates aren’t based on your location, and you could have used your primary address, you didn’t. You used the alternate address in the state/area which you were buying?

And even though you used this alternate address as where you were going to register/own this vehicle, you are actually registering it back in your primary address state because that is in fact where you live and will be using this truck?

(y)

Rancidlunchmeat

Reaction score
Constructive disagreements are allowed, however rude or disparaging comments or names violate the code of conduct for this site. Please refrain from this.
Nothing you are saying makes the slightest bit of sense.

It doesn't matter if you qualify for all the rebates or don't have the best regional offers in the area. Because the guy that does qualify for those rebates and who does live in the area will get a better deal. It's important to know that. I bought my truck out of state for that reason.

Rebates and regional offers are two separate things. If you have multiple addresses and can pick and choose which one to use as your registration location to get better regional offers that is still no help to anybody else.

I don't get why it's so hard to understand unless you don't like the information on this board and how it relates to what kind of a deal you think you got. Your points are moot because most people are listing the rebates and discounts along with MSRP and sale price, so you can gleen the info for your own "personalized metric" if you are mainly concerned with dealer discount by trim.

Are you retarded? I was trying to make the point that INCENTIVES, DISCOUNTS and REBATES are different things and that they are determined by the DEALER, the BUYER and the TRIM level and if you don't understand the differences between those things, you can't compare apples to apples. Yes, you can get bigger incentives on lower trims and it might actually be worth it to up-option a lower level trim than to buy a higher level trim. On the other hand, the higher level trims have more dealer profit built into them and as a result, you can get larger dealer discounts..

You're talking about owning multiple pieces of property in multiple states so you can get a different regional rebate. How is that helpful to 95% of the people here trying to decide what is or isn't a good price for their new 1500? And even then, what is the regional rebate going to be? $500? and again, back to my original point - REBATES are specific to the BUYER. You might think you're fancy because you registered your truck in OK instead of TX and got an extra $500 rebate, but I'm a USAA member so I get an extra $1000 rebate and I don't have to play those games.

So, go stuff it. You really seem like a prick. Some of us are just here to try and help.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lmao ^^^

I’m not convinced that isn’t a form of tax evasion and illegal. Since your intent was to basically avoid paying the correct sales tax via this little game you did. But I’m also just a moron, or yahoo I believe it was, who doesn’t really know anything.

feaguy

Reaction score
Foaming at the mouth nonsense

It makes perfect sense and I'm sure many will find it useful. Anyone in that region could have gotten that deal; it didn't require owning land elsewhere. But that is an option you can leverage if you are able and choose to do so. Sour grapes.

Lmao ^^^

I’m not convinced that isn’t a form of tax evasion and illegal. Since your intent was to basically avoid paying the correct sales tax via this little game you did. But I’m also just a moron, or yahoo I believe it was, who doesn’t really know anything.

RAM regional incentives have nothing to do with the government. They are tailoring their prices to the local market and nothing more.

You got played by dealers and you don't know what the hell you are doing. I am posting this information with no personal gain to myself other than that it may help those that haven't bought yet.

I am not here to make you feel like you got a good deal, though eventually I'm sure you'll end up convincing yourself of that regardless. To you two I say enjoy your payments - and to everyone else, good luck.

Last edited:

jonesy

Reaction score
at the end of the day a good deal is all in the eye of the beholder

one buyer may shave a few more nickles off their deal then another but with all the variables involved that certainly doesn't mean they got any "better" of a deal

tgtt

Reaction score
MSRP: $57,700
Final: $45,928

Ordered on 12/17 with $1000 down and marked as sold to lock the price. Dealer says if rebates are better when it arrives they will honor new numbers. I'm hoping it arrives last day of Feb. If rebates aren't better I'll let it sit and see if March can save me more money.

Sent from my BLA-A09 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread