5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Redfour5

Reaction score
This is my dealer in Helena MT. https://www.lithiachryslerhelena.com/new-inventory/ram-1500-for-sale-in-helena-mt-ladrr.htm

You can see the "mark ups." They are basically putting the price of the Stellantis incentive on top of MSRP. So, you pay MSRP. On a few it is a few thousand more. I may have been the first they did this to, but I got a special edition that was hot property. Today, about three weeks later, I bet they would have put 4K on top of the MSRP.

They got me on mine for the 1250 Stellantis incentive...but the amount they paid me for my 2015 Outdoorsman more than made up for it. I basically got a new 1500 (Built to serve) for less than the amount I had set as a goal just before Covid. I couldn't do it then, but came close now on a much more loaded truck. So, IF you have the right mix of used, you can actually do better than when there were big incentives. I did get free oil changes for life of vehicle. They got me on interest rate, but my credit union will refinance as soon as the registration paperwork hits the mailbox at 1.5% less. I'm set to go there.

Strange world.

RockJock

Reaction score
I ordered a 2022 1500 Limited tonight.

MSRP $71,400
Invoice $65,515
Dealer price $64,750
No incentives available right now.

I didn't negotiate. With dealers asking MSRP or above, I'm happy with $765 under invoice these days. It may not be a great time to buy, but it's a great time to trade. Between buying under invoice and doing very well on my trade I can't complain. It might not be the best deal but I'm happy with it and it works for me.

Redfour5

Reaction score
I ordered a 2022 1500 Limited tonight.

MSRP $71,400
Invoice $65,515
Dealer price $64,750
No incentives available right now.

I didn't negotiate. With dealers asking MSRP or above, I'm happy with $765 under invoice these days. It may not be a great time to buy, but it's a great time to trade. Between buying under invoice and doing very well on my trade I can't complain. It might not be the best deal but I'm happy with it and it works for me.
That was my reasoning. The value increase on my 2015 Outdoorsman trade in offset the MSRP price at the equivalent of decent incentives during "regular" non Covid times. It was interesting to see them tack the 1250 Stellantis incentive ON TOP of my MSRP. But I got lifetime oil changes and live close to my dealer. In looking around, I could have done better but would have had to drive a few hundred miles to do so and this one checks almost all my boxes and a few more... I sure hope the 3.21 tows well, a 6500 lb travel trailer. The 3.21 was my only "important" box NOT checked off. I still don't understand why they would order one with the towing package AND the tow mirrors and bigger gas tank and NOT spend the extra 95 bucks for the 3.92. It was a deal breaker until I saw the TFL truck video where they took a maxed out 3.21 up the "Ike Gauntlet" and it did very well. That put me over...

Eldodroptop

Reaction score
I completely understand that people are going to buy in this insane market. I get that life goes on and buying a new Truck is often something that cannot wait, or the new truck fever grabs ahold of you and needs to be satisfied. Been there!

But please recognize that you are putting yourself at financial risk. A very large down payment is absolutely essential now. This market bubble will burst, and when it does, the amount of negative equity that many hard working honest folks are going to be saddled with is going to destroy folks. It’s not hyperbole. It’s going to be bad.

If you have bought in this market, new or used, push hard to retire as much principal on your vehicle as quickly as possible. If it causes short term budget pain so be it.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I completely understand that people are going to buy in this insane market. I get that life goes on and buying a new Truck is often something that cannot wait, or the new truck fever grabs ahold of you and needs to be satisfied. Been there!

But please recognize that you are putting yourself at financial risk. A very large down payment is absolutely essential now. This market bubble will burst, and when it does, the amount of negative equity that many hard working honest folks are going to be saddled with is going to destroy folks. It’s not hyperbole. It’s going to be bad.

If you have bought in this market, new or used, push hard to retire as much principal on your vehicle as quickly as possible. If it causes short term budget pain so be it.
I’ll counter that a bit. If you have to buy now, either put down a large payment, or keep that money set aside.

I put a whopping $1,000 down on my truck, because I got 0% interest. I was in a position where I could have made a substantial down payment, but with 0% interest, it didn’t make sense to (I also ordered at a time when it was still possible to get $12K off sticker, but this applies even today).

If you put a large down payment down, then lose your job or have your hours cut, then you’re in worse shape than if you had kept more money in the bank, and use that balance to pay your expenses while you look for work.

You make a good overall point, in that now is a risky time to buy because prices are bound to go down at some point (depending on how inflation goes). Don’t buy something you can’t afford is good advice in any situation.

Last edited:

blankcanvas

Reaction score

Given the current demand for used trucks, as long as you can get them down on price, I’d say it’s a great time to be buying… they paid me more for my trade than I paid buying it new in 19’ got the price of the new rig down below invoice and threw in a $1,000 off from ram after the negotiations were done

Deal not including trade in or taxes
Msrp 69,000
I paid 62,000 (with the ‘coupon’)

Plus freaking 2k in taxes welcome back to Colorado gah
Minus my trade in and 3k down I left a happy gal

Last edited:

tidefan1967

Reaction score
The only reason I bought new was because of the fantastic trade in. My truck stickered around 53 and some change and I walked out owing 38. Which is almost exactly what I paid for my 17 Laramie four years ago. As a matter of fact when I financed it at the credit union she even said that she wasn’t going to suggest gap insurance Because I was considerably below the actual value of the truck.

Redfour5

Reaction score
The only reason I bought new was because of the fantastic trade in. My truck stickered around 53 and some change and I walked out owing 38. Which is almost exactly what I paid for my 17 Laramie four years ago. As a matter of fact when I financed it at the credit union she even said that she wasn’t going to suggest gap insurance Because I was considerably below the actual value of the truck.
That pretty much sums up my experience Paying only 1600 over what I paid for my 15 Outdoorsman with a lot more stuff.

alpha_brit

Reaction score

Either that or buy GAP insurance and keep the vehicle for the term of the loan, one or the other.

I am buying two vehicles in the next week and neither deal is anywhere near MSRP. The non-Ram one is at invoice which is about 4.5% off MSRP and while typical historical discounts for that manufacturer run 5-7%, everything now suggests MSRP or slightly above. I probably could have done a bit better but one dealer had an in-transit vehicle that was exactly what I wanted. I'd rather do that than wait and see what my trade is worth in a couple months if I ordered.

For what it's worth, my 7 year old Ram 1500 Express (with CEL on for fuel sensor fail lol) is bringing $21k as a trade toward that vehicle, which is far more than I could have gotten a while back. Basically if you shop wisely I feel like you can do alright. You cannot be under pressure to buy now though, or they've got you.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Given the current demand for used trucks, as long as you can get them down on price, I’d say it’s a great time to be buying… they paid me more for my trade than I paid buying it new in 19’ got the price of the new rig down below invoice and threw in a $1,000 off from ram after the negotiations were done

Deal not including trade in or taxes
Msrp 69,000
I paid 62,000 (with the ‘coupon’)

Plus freaking 2k in taxes welcome back to Colorado gah
Minus my trade in and 3k down I left a happy gal
Exactly. I set out this summer to buy a lightly used one to two year old truck. It didn't take me long to realize that buying a used truck in this environment was just plain stupid. The price I paid for my 2021 Laramie was just over 6k below MSRP and I got 20k for my 13 year old Tundra. That's a win/win IMO.

blankcanvas

Reaction score
Exactly. I set out this summer to buy a lightly used one to two year old truck. It didn't take me long to realize that buying a used truck in this environment was just plain stupid. The price I paid for my 2021 Laramie was just over 6k below MSRP and I got 20k for my 13 year old Tundra. That's a win/win IMO.
Dang 20k yeah definitely a win! They were offering more than the original sticker price on mine without a fight but I still wasn’t willing to pay msrp getting that down took a few dealerships and a lot of back n forth between them all

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Dang 20k yeah definitely a win! They were offering more than the original sticker price on mine without a fight but I still wasn’t willing to pay msrp getting that down took a few dealerships and a lot of back n forth between them all
I sold my Tundra to a friend and told him I would sell it for mid-book. KBB shows a value of 19k to 21k. It's in perfect condition with 85,000 miles. I delivered on that promise even though a local dealer offered to give me 23k on a trade-in.

As high as used trucks are selling for, I was pleasantly surprised that most of the local dealerships were willing to sell below MSRP. That was back in April though.

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
I sold my Tundra to a friend and told him I would sell it for mid-book. KBB shows a value of 19k to 21k. It's in perfect condition with 85,000 miles. I delivered on that promise even though a local dealer offered to give me 23k on a trade-in.

As high as used trucks are selling for, I was pleasantly surprised that most of the local dealerships were willing to sell below MSRP. That was back in April though.
Super job on a display of integrity! Many others would not have done the same

blankcanvas

Reaction score

From what I’ve heard most don’t budge off msrp around here… I’ve never had to work so hard for a deal but Colorado in general has gotten ridiculously pricy, I got a little too used to being in the south perhaps

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From what I’ve heard most don’t budge off msrp around here… I’ve never had to work so hard for a deal but Colorado in general has gotten ridiculously pricy, I got a little too used to being in the south perhaps
Here in the south it's not much better. Everything sitting on lots is marked up $2500-$5000 above MRSP and none of the dealers want to budget off of MRSP for custom orders.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Here in the south it's not much better. Everything sitting on lots is marked up $2500-$5000 above MRSP and none of the dealers want to budget off of MRSP for custom orders.
They don't have to come off MSRP and can add a markup because while you are talking to the salesman you can watch the other people lining up looking at YOUR truck... I got mine a month ago and got MSRP after they marked it up the amount of the Stellantis 1250 incentive. NOW, online, they are just putting a markup as high as 4K on some of them. So, I actually feel like I got a good deal... I actually did, but only because my 2015 Outdoorsman was worth so much that it was like gettin about six K in incentives.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Super job on a display of integrity! Many others would not have done the same
I honestly thought it was a ploy by the dealer to get me to buy a new truck. Give me 23k and sell the new truck for 2-3k more. We never got to the price of the new truck, so I guess I'll never know. I was actually shocked to see high KBB at 21k.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They don't have to come off MSRP and can add a markup because while you are talking to the salesman you can watch the other people lining up looking at YOUR truck... I got mine a month ago and got MSRP after they marked it up the amount of the Stellantis 1250 incentive. NOW, online, they are just putting a markup as high as 4K on some of them. So, I actually feel like I got a good deal... I actually did, but only because my 2015 Outdoorsman was worth so much that it was like gettin about six K in incentives.
I'm not too worried about Mark Dodge selling my order out from under me. They're the ones that offered near 5% under invoice from the beginning.

Users who are viewing this thread