5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

LowcountryLdy

Reaction score
Hello All,

This is a friendly reminder to all SC residents that the 6% state sales tax does NOT apply to vehicle purchases. We pay an “Infrastructure Maintenance Fee” (IMF) instead of sales tax. Any purchase of $10,000 or more will have a capped IMF of $500.

I am currently shopping for a 2020-21 Rebel with 5.7L (non e-torque), 4x4, rambox cargo-managment system, with 4-corner air suspension. I presently own a 2019 Rebel Quad 5.7L 4x4, and I love it, but I want the boxes and air suspension (mostly just the boxes).

It’s been about 6 months since I started shopping for another Rebel. I have had quotes ranging from $76,000-$59,860, to include an added $4,500-$7,000 "SC 6% sales tax." I find that it’s better to get the first outrageous quote from the dealer, get them as low as possible, and then politely educate them of SC’s no vehicle tax and see if I get a reply. Koons was the first to apologize and remove the tax.

As a guestimate, I have probably spoken with over thirty dealers across the country, maybe more. My military background (not retired, no discount) and occupation with all males, (I wouldn’t have it any other way) is probably the reason why I tend not to take the bs and shady stuff that a lot of dealers try. I promise I am not a b**ch, but some of their tactics are appalling, and I don’t like snakes.

I am currently on my 3rd build with Koons . I just received confirmation that my $1,500 bonus cash will count if they take delivery by February 1st. I am attaching my paperwork to this post. I do have a couple questions about it if anyone has a second to take a look.

-Is it normal to already have a vin listed on the sheet?
-Would the dealership hold the truck and notify me after February 1st
just to keep from honoring the $1,500?
-Has anyone gotten Koons to remove the second destination charge?
-Is this price crazy?
-Has anyone installed a rambox bed on a quad cab yet? I wish I had the
option, I love my truck.

To everyone who has contributed to this discussion, THANK YOU! Your experiences, negotiation tactics, prices, discount & dealer information, knowledge, and the "clear your browsing history/ turn off your pop-up blocker tip, has been an enormous help in my quest to buy a truck! I am very grateful and I truly appreciate all of your help!

Thank you,
E

Attachments

• Koons Build #3 copy.pdf
    709.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 98940A1B-96D3-448F-99D6-8D80011C6694.jpeg
    98940A1B-96D3-448F-99D6-8D80011C6694.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 46E04D7C-AADA-4A87-A8BE-E78CC7DA409A.jpeg
    46E04D7C-AADA-4A87-A8BE-E78CC7DA409A.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

NJT3

Reaction score
During Employee Pricing Plus anyone can get 5% under factory invoice. If you can get them to 7% to 10% I would think that is a great deal. This is before any other rebates/incentives.

You can find invoice pricing for your model and all factory options at one of these websites.
NADA Guides - LINK
Car Connection - LINK
I just did my order Friday... What's the difference between EPP and the EP on my order sheet? I'm in-between FFP and EP pricing before the rebates ect.... Should I press dealership now for EPP? Technically VON order sheet has a date of 12/1

baccigalup

Reaction score
Are you from NJ?
You shouldn't be paying "extra tax" -
You would pay tax from the state you're registering the vehicle in.
Something about a va car tax..think with with luxury tax added im at 7.25 tax

baccigalup

Reaction score
They're letting you use the $1500 cash bonus and $500 military discount, PLUS 0% for 60 months?
It's generally rebates or 0% not both.
So the zero percent is supposedly not in lui of rebates on employee pricing ..but any special group prices apparently they cant do it...so they say

njt07

Reaction score
Cross posting from a different thread to get some more input.

2021 Limited Hemi Etorque
MSRP: $74,295
INVOICE from NADA: $67,874

Discounts:
Employee Pricing Plus: $9,330
Retail Cash: $1000 <—-Should this be $2,500?
Military: $500
PCO: $1500
Dealer Discount: $0 <—- Can this realistically be negotiated?
TOTAL: $12,330

Discounted Price: $61,965

Percentage off MSRP: 16.59%
Percentage off NADA Invoice: 9.5%

this is a pretty good deal right?

its only missing the trailor tow package. It has the pano that really dont want but, eh, not a deal breaker.

NJT3

Reaction score

Discounts:

its only missing the trailor tow package. It has the pano that really dont want but, eh, not a deal breaker.
Your at 4.2% below nada invoice before other invectives... Not bad start... Don't forget there is currently 1500 bonus cash coupon on Ram website bottom of page

NJT3

Reaction score
Something about a va car tax..think with with luxury tax added im at 7.25 tax
You should not pay any VA tax as they should only charge NJ tax to you which is 6.625%.

You are not a VA resident so thier silly lux tax does not apply.

Updated...
Even if you were a VA resident.."DMV has announced that the federal luxury tax should not be included in sales price for purposes of computing the motor vehicle sales tax."

Last edited:

vancep

Reaction score
Now that were in December how much of a discount would warrant buying a 2020 limited over a 2021 identically equipped? I've found a 2020 for $55k and a 2021 for $58k. Curious if anyone has insight into if it's a model year older should it justify more than 3k discount when I consider the added depreciation hit I take when I look to sell or trade it down the road in 2-3 years and it's "a year older"?

I'm thinking maybe 5-6k savings is where it's worth it for the 2020, essentially a 10% discount over the '21 otherwise I should stick with a 2021...

jsteinm1

Reaction score
Now that were in December how much of a discount would warrant buying a 2020 limited over a 2021 identically equipped? I've found a 2020 for $55k and a 2021 for $58k. Curious if anyone has insight into if it's a model year older should it justify more than 3k discount when I consider the added depreciation hit I take when I look to sell or trade it down the road in 2-3 years and it's "a year older"?

I'm thinking maybe 5-6k savings is where it's worth it for the 2020, essentially a 10% discount over the '21 otherwise I should stick with a 2021...
I just went through this exercise for a ram and not long ago an Accord for my wife. Both I estimated around a grand, ram a little more than the accord. Best way I could think to estimate this was compare two identical trucks one model year a part from how ever many years old you think the truck will be when you sell it (obviously don't compare years where there was a big difference between them).

Silent Bob

Reaction score
I just did my order Friday... What's the difference between EPP and the EP on my order sheet? I'm in-between FFP and EP pricing before the rebates ect.... Should I press dealership now for EPP? Technically VON order sheet has a date of 12/1
FWP is Invoice Price
FFP is 1% below Invoice
EP is 5% below Invoice
Anyone can easily get 5% right now, before rebates and incentives.

Last edited:

Silent Bob

Reaction score
Hello All,

This is a friendly reminder to all SC residents that the 6% state sales tax does NOT apply to vehicle purchases. We pay an “Infrastructure Maintenance Fee” (IMF) instead of sales tax. Any purchase of $10,000 or more will have a capped IMF of $500.

I am currently shopping for a 2020-21 Rebel with 5.7L (non e-torque), 4x4, rambox cargo-managment system, with 4-corner air suspension. I presently own a 2019 Rebel Quad 5.7L 4x4, and I love it, but I want the boxes and air suspension (mostly just the boxes).

It’s been about 6 months since I started shopping for another Rebel. I have had quotes ranging from $76,000-$59,860, to include an added $4,500-$7,000 "SC 6% sales tax." I find that it’s better to get the first outrageous quote from the dealer, get them as low as possible, and then politely educate them of SC’s no vehicle tax and see if I get a reply. Koons was the first to apologize and remove the tax.

As a guestimate, I have probably spoken with over thirty dealers across the country, maybe more. My military background (not retired, no discount) and occupation with all males, (I wouldn’t have it any other way) is probably the reason why I tend not to take the bs and shady stuff that a lot of dealers try. I promise I am not a b**ch, but some of their tactics are appalling, and I don’t like snakes.

I am currently on my 3rd build with Koons . I just received confirmation that my $1,500 bonus cash will count if they take delivery by February 1st. I am attaching my paperwork to this post. I do have a couple questions about it if anyone has a second to take a look.

-Is it normal to already have a vin listed on the sheet?
-Would the dealership hold the truck and notify me after February 1st
just to keep from honoring the $1,500?
-Has anyone gotten Koons to remove the second destination charge?
-Is this price crazy?
-Has anyone installed a rambox bed on a quad cab yet? I wish I had the
option, I love my truck.

To everyone who has contributed to this discussion, THANK YOU! Your experiences, negotiation tactics, prices, discount & dealer information, knowledge, and the "clear your browsing history/ turn off your pop-up blocker tip, has been an enormous help in my quest to buy a truck! I am very grateful and I truly appreciate all of your help!

Thank you,
E
The maximum you should be paying is $56,725 before any available rebates and incentives.

Market Value/Vehicle Price is a number the dealer has made up. It has nothing to do with MSRP. Therefore they are not adding the Destination Charge twice. The processing fee is also a made up charge.

The Destination Charge is included in the MSRP, FWP, FFP, and EP price.

They will probably be very reluctant to remove their fake processing fee so deduct it from the EP and make that your maximum price before rebates and incentives.

Last edited:

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score

I would have paid an extra 3k for a year newer as my work requires a certain age vehicle so I could keep it up to a year longer. If not a concern for you then get the older model so it has one less years worth of milesge on it when youre done and it will be a trade off of 12k+more miles or a year older.

Silent Bob

Reaction score

Kelly Blue Book Example

2018 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited Pickup 4D 6 1/3 ft
40,000 miles
$33,532

2017 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited Pickup 4D 6 1/3 ft
40,000 miles
$32,126

LowcountryLdy

Reaction score
The maximum you should be paying is $56,725 before any available rebates and incentives.

Market Value/Vehicle Price is a number the dealer has made up. It has nothing to do with MSRP. Therefore they are not adding the Destination Charge twice. The processing fee is also a made up charge.

The Destination Charge is included in the MSRP, FWP, FFP, and EP price.

They will probably be very reluctant to remove their fake processing fee so deduct it from the EP and make that your maximum price before rebates and incentives.
Thank you Silent Bob!

AxileAspen

Reaction score

Discounts:

Where are you getting this "retail cash" discount? RAM website offers $1,000 conquest bonus cash but I'm not sure what you're referring to.

NJT3

Reaction score
I'm not seeing this, is it removed now?
It's still there I like others had an issue to... Think it's a timed page load thing but this is what I did..
Go-to Ram.com
Let the page load where you think it's loaded.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page...
A red button link should appear at the bottom center of your phone... "Bonus Cash Offer"
If not at bottom of the page is the search link start typing something to search in the field (but don't actually hit search)
It should popup at the bottom center of your phone by then. Good for 60 days.

Again I think it's just that the is a lot of stuff loading on the page and doing the search just is giving the page time to fully loaded. . Everyone is so used to instant page loads lol... Or clicking on the search field cuts all the other bs loading and gives the end state of the page... Been awhile since I've done any web stuff.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have the exact same question. I also have a deal where the only applied discount is the Employee Pricing Plus. If this is a rebate, I should have another $4-5k in dealer discount to work with, correct?

2020 Longhorn
MSRP: $67,700
Sale Price: $59,000
Dealer Fees: $580.50
Total: $59580.50

% off MSRP including all fees: 11.0%
% off MSRP with rebates: 15.0%
I have $2000 in rebates ($1500 Private offer and $500 military) and a trade...but I’m not counting those to keep the comparison fair. Same with Taxes

So, is this a terrible deal? 11% isn’t anything to write home about and obviously the dealer doesn’t eat my $2,000 in rebates. Could I really get another $4-$5k off in dealer discount?
I just looked at the dealer website (Kernersville) and see a 21’ Longhorn 3.0 diesel 4x for $59.5K. The ad link is here: https://www.kernersvillechryslerdodge.net/new/Ram/2021-Ram-1500-98e1d11d0a0e0ae75d533b1e990d2a17.htm

And theres also a 21’ Ltd 4x 3.0 diesel for $53,675: https://www.kernersvillechryslerdodge.net/new/Ram/2021-Ram-1500-088af67f0a0e0adf17d4b557f918526c.htm

There’s also several Longhorns with hemi ET engines, same 2021 4x for $56.5K: https://www.kernersvillechryslerdodge.net/new/Ram/2021-Ram-1500-b7c6eec00a0e0a6b4404c0e7f360eccd.htm

I hope this helps you with price comparisons. I have no idea what they are using to get to those advertised prices. Some dealers stack incentives/discounts and such which nobody on earth qualifies for.
I didn’t have that experience 1.5 years ago at this dealership but who knows whats going on now. Do your due diligence!

Last edited by a moderator:

slatersan

Reaction score
I just looked at the dealer website (Kernersville) and see a 21’ Longhorn 3.0 diesel 4x for $59.5K. The ad link is here: https://www.kernersvillechryslerdodge.net/new/Ram/2021-Ram-1500-98e1d11d0a0e0ae75d533b1e990d2a17.htm

And theres also a 21’ Ltd 4x 3.0 diesel for $53,675: https://www.kernersvillechryslerdodge.net/new/Ram/2021-Ram-1500-088af67f0a0e0adf17d4b557f918526c.htm

There’s also several Longhorns with hemi ET engines, same 2021 4x for $56.5K: https://www.kernersvillechryslerdodge.net/new/Ram/2021-Ram-1500-b7c6eec00a0e0a6b4404c0e7f360eccd.htm

I hope this helps you with price comparisons. I have no idea what they are using to get to those advertised prices. Some dealers stack incentives/discounts and such which nobody on earth qualifies for.
I didn’t have that experience 1.5 years ago at this dealership but who knows whats going on now. Do your due diligence!
My recent experience(August) in dealing with them is that they include some available specials in their internet price, including things that one might not qualify for, prior to confirming that a specific buyer actually qualifies. When I got a price sheet worked up, the price moved up because i didn't own a truck and the truck conquest incentive had conveniently been tucked into the advertised price. Not saying they are here, but it's possible. Not knocking the limited they have for 53,6, but pointing out that it is a 'base' limited plus diesel. SOme people are looking for that, but it doesn't have any options added besides the diesel engine.

Users who are viewing this thread