5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

jm192

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a 2020 Big Horn Crewcab 5.7L V8 4WD with the level 2 equipment group and bedliner.

MSRP 53,300$.
Rebates: 7,000
Dealer Discount 4807 (just doing the math, I realize it's an odd number).

My price: 41,493
OTD ~46,850

Good deal? Hold out for more?

I've been looking for a big horn in the Patriot blue, and found this one 2 hours away. Trying to lock something in before traveling.

peeceejay

Reaction score
I bought my first truck last Friday - figured I'd share my experience in case it's useful. This is shopping within Massachusetts.

Firstly, I wanted a very specific spec, which limited my options - night edition (for looks), with 360 camera (for the wife to park) and trailer brake controller (not the trailer package, which deletes the 360 camera). This turned out to be a unicorn and there was only one available in the 150 mile radius the website let me search. It was 70ish miles from home. I could have ordered one, but my prior vehicle is a lease that needs returning, and I didn't want to be without.

MSRP was $66k. Dealer price was $60k and "conditional price" on the website was $55k. We drove down to look at it, test drive it and talk to the sales guy. He claimed he didn't want to move from the dealer price. We claimed we wanted to walk out with the conditional price, despite not meeting the conditions. After a couple of back and forths with his manager, some random, arbitrary discounting based on my job, we met near the middle and we agreed on $57k

Off to finance. This guy was a straight shooter. We were putting $20k down, no trade in. We knew our credit was good and our credit union pre-approved us for 2.49% - he ran us through a couple of banks and came back with Chase at 2.44% - we already have a vehicle loan with Chase, so we went with them. He didn't give me hassle for turning down any of the additional packages, but I did ask him to show me the flat price for the 8y/125k extended warranty instead of the new monthly price - $3500 for that, which I took.

Walked out happy enough with the experience. Other than dealing with the initial sales guy, it was painless. I'm happy with the price paid.

Hope thats useful to someone!

117585361_10159085979373338_1464819753667224939_n.jpg

midwestram

Reaction score
Don’t let the Chrysler rate concern you. They’ll offer you some ridiculously high interest rate, but it really doesn’t matter as long as you have good enough credit to qualify elsewhere. They will always approve you and probably for far more than you should realistically be spending... but that’s on you. I got approved for 5.9%/72 mo with $500 rebate, or 0%/36 with no associated rebate. I took the $500 and 5.9%, bought the truck, then refinanced at 2.29%/72 with Navy Federal the next week, and they kicked me $200 for taking the loan with them.

You are absolutely not locked into the Chrysler loan. Don’t feel obligated to tell the finance guy your plan, just like they won’t feel obligated to tell you whether you’re at their best price, or not. The rates are absolutely inflated to get them kickbacks after the purchase. I’d be hard pressed to find any other bank who would offer a rate that high.

I had a salesman tell me I could refinance 3 months after the purchase. Was there no penalty for doing it the next week?

NJC1684

Reaction score
I bought my first truck last Friday - figured I'd share my experience in case it's useful. This is shopping within Massachusetts.

Firstly, I wanted a very specific spec, which limited my options - night edition (for looks), with 360 camera (for the wife to park) and trailer brake controller (not the trailer package, which deletes the 360 camera). This turned out to be a unicorn and there was only one available in the 150 mile radius the website let me search. It was 70ish miles from home. I could have ordered one, but my prior vehicle is a lease that needs returning, and I didn't want to be without.

MSRP was $66k. Dealer price was $60k and "conditional price" on the website was $55k. We drove down to look at it, test drive it and talk to the sales guy. He claimed he didn't want to move from the dealer price. We claimed we wanted to walk out with the conditional price, despite not meeting the conditions. After a couple of back and forths with his manager, some random, arbitrary discounting based on my job, we met near the middle and we agreed on $57k

Off to finance. This guy was a straight shooter. We were putting $20k down, no trade in. We knew our credit was good and our credit union pre-approved us for 2.49% - he ran us through a couple of banks and came back with Chase at 2.44% - we already have a vehicle loan with Chase, so we went with them. He didn't give me hassle for turning down any of the additional packages, but I did ask him to show me the flat price for the 8y/125k extended warranty instead of the new monthly price - $3500 for that, which I took.

Walked out happy enough with the experience. Other than dealing with the initial sales guy, it was painless. I'm happy with the price paid.

Hope thats useful to someone!

View attachment 65945
Get a refund on the extended warranty & purchase at chryslerfactoryplans.com

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a salesman tell me I could refinance 3 months after the purchase. Was there no penalty for doing it the next week?

Already answered below but I’ll 2nd that. There is absolutely no penalty, the dealership just receives a kickback on the Chrysler financing once you’ve held the loan for 3mo.

Again, I wouldn’t walk in proclaiming you’re looking to refi next week as it could impact your deal, but there’s no harm to you if you choose to find a better rate (and you should, IMO) immediately after your purchase.

BigAdge

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a 2020 Big Horn Crewcab 5.7L V8 4WD with the level 2 equipment group and bedliner.

MSRP 53,300$.
Rebates: 7,000
Dealer Discount 4807 (just doing the math, I realize it's an odd number).

My price: 41,493
OTD ~46,850

Good deal? Hold out for more?

I've been looking for a big horn in the Patriot blue, and found this one 2 hours away. Trying to lock something in before traveling.
Honestly this looks like a good deal, might be able to squeeze a bit more on dealer rebate if it's not a BTS, the BTS seem to cap around there on wherr dealers are willing to move, but the other big horns seem to be able to drop a little bit more. Maybe tell them you'll drive down for 40k and it's 2 hours away they might meet in the middle at 40.5-41.

You just never know and if it's a truck you love how much is 500-1500 going to matter over a few years compared to settling on a different truck that your not as excited about.

vegaskeith

Reaction score
One month ago, 2020 RAM 1500 3.0 Limited, most options aside from the roof,;
Window $66,466
Discount $8,400
Rebate, $6,500

Ninjabros

Reaction score
Just got this text from a dealer in the Kansas City area. I gambled on Rhona dropping prices and busted so what else do I have to lose gambling on this? May have to wait till early next year or see what ram does to try and disrupt the 2021 f150.

"Unfortunately what is currently out there and in transit will be the last of the 20's. So unless you want to get a 2021 which will have alot less rebates or spend closer to the $42,000 range then there won't be a whole lot more inventory."

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

midwestram

Reaction score
There is no penalty, the dealer gets their kickback after 3 months.
Already answered below but I’ll 2nd that. There is absolutely no penalty, the dealership just receives a kickback on the Chrysler financing once you’ve held the loan for 3mo.

Again, I wouldn’t walk in proclaiming you’re looking to refi next week as it could impact your deal, but there’s no harm to you if you choose to find a better rate (and you should, IMO) immediately after your purchase.

Awesome! This is good to know. Thanks for clearing that up! Definitely won't be mentioning it, but glad to know it's possible.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
One month ago, 2020 RAM 1500 3.0 Limited, most options aside from the roof,;
Window $66,466
Discount $8,400
Rebate, $6,500
Where in the world are you getting $6500 rebate on a limited? Can you share the breakdown?

I bought a Ram Limited a month ago, there wasn't a $6500 rebate., it was $2000-2500 unless a dealer was giving you Ram coupons and calling it a rebate (mine did but only $2000 in coupons). Limiteds have not had a decent rebate since March, then it was $6500

robia06

Reaction score
Re

Recheck Koons. I balked last year at that delivery fee because it wasnt explained and then added onto the very bottom. As long as you know its going to be done then just compare final prices.
Also look at Lara RAM in the St Louis area.
Or Jim Butler in Linn, Mo and Landmark in Independence, Mo

Tonner

Reaction score
I bought a Ram Limited a month ago, there wasn't a $6500 rebate., it was $2000-2500 unless a dealer was giving you Ram coupons and calling it a rebate (mine did but only $2000 in coupons). Limiteds have not had a decent rebate since March, then it was $6500
That’s what i thought. Where do these coupons come from? I ordered a 2021 Laramie but I’m guessing I won’t get much of a rebate. Thoughts on that? I’m half tempted to cancel and get a 2020 with more rebates. What are the chances I could get my deposit back? All of a sudden the Laramie night edition that I want are everywhere and they weren’t when I ordered one. Especially since finding out the 2021s aren’t getting Uconnect 5 I could care less if it’s a 20 vs 21 Especially if I’m saving thousands

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s what i thought. Where do these coupons come from? I ordered a 2021 Laramie but I’m guessing I won’t get much of a rebate. Thoughts on that? I’m half tempted to cancel and get a 2020 with more rebates. What are the chances I could get my deposit back? All of a sudden the Laramie night edition that I want are everywhere and they weren’t when I ordered one. Especially since finding out the 2021s aren’t getting Uconnect 5 I could care less if it’s a 20 vs 21 Especially if I’m saving thousands

For a Laramie, you might be looking at a $1,000-1,500 manufacturer rebate when the 2021’s first start to hit the lots. I wouldn’t expect more than that. Then whatever dealer discount your dealer offers.

EJ84

Reaction score
2019 Laramie crew cab Sticker of $59,040, what would be a good percentage off to shoot for?
Thanks

vegaskeith

Reaction score
It seems rebates are by various zones in the USA, I am in Las Vegas. Some trucks in the west coast had a $5,000 rebate for the diesel engine, making it free. Not many. Most are long sold now.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

The dealer has them and can use for customers as they please. They seem to possibly expire towards the end of the month and the dealers use them to "push" sales for a customer, that's what mine did. I'm guessing they get them every month to use at their discretion, at this point, I'd straight up unashamedly ask them for the coupons after knowing that they exist. As for the 20 vs 21, there weren't any significant changes that made me say get a 21 other than being able to say its a 21 and get a free 6 months of negative depreciation.
I have a HUD in my car and NEVER even look at it, forget its there most of the time

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/