5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
A few members have mentioned the desire to have a price paid thread so I decided to do one and pin it here so it will be easy for everyone to find.

I think the best way to make this thread is as follows:
MSRP of the specific truck
What Rebates and incentives were applied and $ amounts
Any further negotiations
Final price

Please do not include trade in values, taxes, OTD price or anything like that as those are all variable depending on where you live etc. Rebates and incentives are also regional so also please post up where you purchased the truck and when.

Example:

2016 Ram 1500 Sport

MSRP $64,440
-$10,000 rebate from Ram
-$1000 skilled trades rebate
-$3940 additional negotiated at dealer
=$49,500 paid

Vancouver. B.C August 2016

D

Deleted member103

Jared Balfour said:
A few members have mentioned the desire to have a price paid thread so I decided to do one and pin it here so it will be easy for everyone to find.

I think the best way to make this thread is as follows:
MSRP of the specific truck
What Rebates and incentives were applied and $ amounts
Any further negotiations
Final price

Please do not include trade in values, taxes, OTD price or anything like that as those are all variable depending on where you live etc. Rebates and incentives are also regional so also please post up where you purchased the truck and when.

Example:

2016 Ram 1500 Sport

MSRP $64,440
-$10,000 rebate from Ram
-$1000 skilled trades rebate
-$3940 additional negotiated at dealer
=$49,500 paid

Vancouver. B.C August 2016
THANKS . . . WHAT A GREAT IDEA
263a.png
Can we also add some
anonymous Dealer sales-rep / buyer "commentary" on the negotiating process ? This might help some 1st timers as well !?

GM convert

Reaction score
Limited 66,100 Msrp
Dealer took 2k off. On negotiation yet by me. It was a preorder someone backed out on. Not sure what a fair price is? Help.

D

Deleted member103

firecadet613 said:
Invoice is roughly 91.76% off MSRP not including Destination, at least from what I'm seeing. At that, they are still making the 3% holdback.
"Sometimes," just on "some-things," I tend to be, hmmm . . . "thick headed?, Un-smart?, flat-out befuddled?"
1f914.png
. . . Could you please explain the difference between this INVOICE & MSRP thing ? I know what the msrp thing IS and where I can find it in the online build process & on the window sticker etcetera, but WHERE is the invoice to be found and it's relation to the msrp -- Before the Negotiating process and AFTER, when the FINAL Buyers Price is Finalized . . . so sorry for the Possibly "Stupid" question, but like I said . . . I just "don't get it?"
1f914.png
THANKS . . . . . . ps; and to think I got 5 years of college and 2 highly technical Navy Sonar 'C' schools under my belt .

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When you "build" a truck at a dealer, they will have it showing on their screen or give you a printout. A build, if you will. Of all the options you've selected and then MSPR/Invoice for each option. Most of the time they print it out without Holdback, EP, A Plan, Z Plan, etc. pricing on it. If you're good - you can grab it while it's on their screen - but once you have the percentages, pretty easy to figure out.

I ordered my current truck - so I had the printout from when it was ordered showing MSRP/Invoice - as well as a copy of the actual invoice when it came in. My price was XXX under invoice on it.

Here are two examples I found doing a google search - neither are mine. Neither of these are showing the column to the right which has invoice pricing on them.

1sQX7Hg.jpg

CCsj5Ac.png

DSOOBY

Reaction score
2019 Bighorn Sport 4x4, 5.7L
Level 2 package
3.92 gears, alpine stereo, premium lighting

$49,510 MSRP
$46,450 invoice
$46,450 price negotiated

Dealer will install rear wheel house liners per my request for free.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
DSOOBY said:
2019 Bighorn Sport 4x4, 5.7L
Level 2 package
3.92 gears, alpine stereo, premium lighting

$49,510 MSRP
$46,450 invoice
$46,450 price negotiated

Dealer will install rear wheel house liners per my request for free.
Good deal, congrats!

warmachine

Reaction score
My Limited MSRP $85,735 paying $76,992. Dual pane sunroof, Limited Level 1, painted bumpers, 22s, bed utility, 3.92 anti spin, 124 litre tank and trailer tow/hitch

D

Deleted member103

firecadet613 said:
When you "build" a truck at a dealer, they will have it showing on their screen or give you a printout. A build, if you will. Of all the options you've selected and then MSPR/Invoice for each option. Most of the time they print it out without Holdback, EP, A Plan, Z Plan, etc. pricing on it. If you're good - you can grab it while it's on their screen - but once you have the percentages, pretty easy to figure out.

I ordered my current truck - so I had the printout from when it was ordered showing MSRP/Invoice - as well as a copy of the actual invoice when it came in. My price was XXX under invoice on it.

Here are two examples I found doing a google search - neither are mine. Neither of these are showing the column to the right which has invoice pricing on them.

1sQX7Hg.jpg

CCsj5Ac.png
Well, that was "confusing," but I thank you, for you have motivated me to go to my iDictionary and HERE is what I found -- gonna be a bit long, but for the other "uninformed" such as I, this could be VERY Helpful;
INVOICE PRICE -- The actual price paid to the manufacturer or distributor by the end-customer (us) !
However, . . the Invoice Cost of a product is the price that the merchant (dealership) pays for the product BEFORE marking it up to sell ! It is sometimes used to "entice" customers to buy ! (how?)
The Net Purchase-Cost of the product (truck) is the amount of the Invoice + any additional "fees & taxes" (of which we are all too familiar & aggravated by).
If a Dealership has additional "Incentives" available for the purchase, "HE" generally discounts it BELOW the Invoice Price.
This should be seen as a sign for the BUYER, that Additional Room for Negotiation may exist !
*the Retailer/Dealership who purchased the vehicles from the wholesaler/manufacturer WILL increase the Price, AGAIN, when they SELL "the goods" to the Customers in Their stores ! THAT Price is usually called the MSRP/List Price, or RRP (Recommended Retail Price) and is the Manufacturers "recommended" Selling Price for the Retailer ! This Retail Price is "Normally" around 2.5 to 3X the Wholesale Price, depending on the MarkUp -- to cover their own higher overheads; such as shop rent, taxes, business rates . . . which we frankly don't give a hoot about !
It's beginning to make some sense, and I WILL be on the lookout at the Salespersons computer when the deal is being negotiated/tallied !
Well hope that is not too much to read in one evening !
263a.png

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Keep in mind, with FCA/Ford/GM - Dealers get "Holdback" once the vehicle is sold. Also, there are incentives for them to move XXX units per month/quarter which will also help you get part/all of that holdback. If you're buying at the end of the month - you could luck out if they need to sell one more and your that one!

D

Deleted member103

firecadet613 said:
Keep in mind, with FCA/Ford/GM - Dealers get "Holdback" once the vehicle is sold. Also, there are incentives for them to move XXX units per month/quarter which will also help you get part/all of that holdback. If you're buying at the end of the month - you could luck out if they need to sell one more and your that one!
YES, GOOD POINT / REMINDER . . . THAT I KNEW IRONICALLY, thanks believe it or not TO my young understanding Jeep Salesman ! ! !

D

Deleted member103

firecadet613 said:
KBB matches the invoice pricing I have on my POC.
Just did the KBB-thing on My build from the RAM site, then the KBB site -- The RAM build msrp comes to $43,920. As it has the last 10X I've done it
263a.png

Same for the KBB Build and the KBB also indicates that the Invoice is $41,362. A diff. of $2,558.

Estimated tax & license (my zip) -- $3,192. For an "Out-the-Door target price -- @ msrp of $47,112. & @ Invoice of $44,554.

So, with &/or without Incentives you, or anyone, have an "Expectation(s)" of getting Below Invoice + the taxes & fees ?
I was/am hoping to "get out the door" at or below $45,000 -- am I "Dreaming"? (no loan)

This is a Quad Big Horn 4X4 V6 eTorque with Off Road Package & Level 1 + Alpine + Deluxe Cloth Center Console + Rear Wheel Liners . Of course IF they do wind up offering the LED's I'd probably add them !?

D

Deleted member 85

firecadet613 said:
Holdback is connected to days in inventory, not every deal provides hold-back, and said hold-back diminishes the longer it sits. VPA (vehicle performance allowance) is achieved when a dealer hits their FCA dictated target, however, the pay-outs are so small now that it is not a motivator for a loss any longer.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That explains why I've got such an aggressive deal on a truck that just hit the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread