5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Is the 20% off MSRP that everyone mentions as a reference point for a good deal based on the price before TTL, I assume? I just want to make sure I've got a good reference point for prices.
I did see up to 24% off on a black/black cloth BigHorn 2x4 quad cab V6 2020 1500 but that's a less selected truck for most people... More of basic truck transportation, wouldn't be good for towing much of anything. It also had a couple incentives that are doubtful everyone qualified for, sub-prime credit and Conquest cash... That might be 1K or more additional to pay. Then there's the $700 doc fees...

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Short answer is no but the long answer is it depends. The people stating 20% are talking about before TT&L. Depends on the incentives where you live. You're not going to see 20% off a Limited/Longhorn right now but people are seeing 20% off on Bighorn/Lonestar and MAYBE a Laramie. Even Koons works out to about 15.5% off MSRP regardless of trim ordered so with rebates on a Bighorn/Lonestar you could get 20% but the rebates on the other trims are pretty bad (at least here in TX).
The Kville dealer I usually look at (and bought from) averages 14.34% on all their lLmiteds, no matter what engine/options. That's likely not going to be a true price due to incentive qualifications though. They claim 133 new trucks in stock counting both classics and 5th gen, 2019 and 2020.

Dawgsfan11

Reaction score
At least one of the dealers is including a lifetime powertrain warranty along with their offer. Is that typical and/or considered valuable? I assume it's a pretty nice thing to have, but wanted some opinions.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not typical. Lifetime warranties ended about a year ago.

Check the fine print. Is it something that is good at that dealer only or will any RAM dealer honor that?

I know that the dealer near me offers a lifetime loaner at their service department if you buy a new vehicle from them, but that's only good at that specific dealership.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
At least one of the dealers is including a lifetime powertrain warranty along with their offer. Is that typical and/or considered valuable? I assume it's a pretty nice thing to have, but wanted some opinions.
That's often a 3rd party and the restrictions pages are longer than the covered items.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Just to clarify my post above, here's some 2019 info from a Toyota dealer talking about competing dealers who offer these types of "warranties". The part to pay attention to is the service requirements!

Begin quote:
What’s the Problem With These Warranties?
While free lifetime engine and powertrain warranties from a dealership might sound perfect, they come with several problems, such as:

• Inadequate Coverage – If an engine or powertrain fails under normal use, it’s almost certain that the parts that fail are either the seals or gaskets. The Toyota lifetime powertrain warranty and engine warranty from most Lake Park dealers do not cover these important parts, which means the warranty has essentially eliminated the most common reasons people would ever need to repair their engine or powertrain.
  • Unrealistic Maintenance Requirements – Most of these warranties require you to get maintenance on a schedule that goes beyond what the manufacturer recommends and requires you to have your maintenance performed at the dealer that sold you the car.
  • Vehicle Limitations – You won’t be able to use your car for commercial use, trailer towing, and other purposes.
End of quote

Dawgsfan11

Reaction score
Good to know. I will probably go with lowest price and won't let the lifetime warranty sway me one way or another then.

The Critic

Reaction score
First post here.

Looking a Ram 1500 priced around 40K with equipment that is equal or better to the Level 2 Bighorn Pkg, Anti-Slip Rear Diff and Hemi (non-etorque). If I can squeeze in 4wd and leather at this price range, it is a plus. Currently undecided in regards to the 3.21 vs 3.92 gears.

I found this oddball truck at a local dealer:
2020 Laramie
4X4
Trailer Brake Controller
Anti-Slip Rear Diff
Bench seats

Sticker is $50120, the dealer is offering $7200 off plus the current Laramie Rebates ($3K). The truck has been on the lot since September.

My employer qualifies me for affiliate pricing. I was originally considering a special order 2wd Bighorn, but the invoice price on my build is $44,579 (I think affiliate pricing is about 4% under published invoice) so I would technically be getting more truck by opting for the oddball Laramie.

Thoughts?

Jako

Reaction score
First post here.

Looking a Ram 1500 priced around 40K with equipment that is equal or better to the Level 2 Bighorn Pkg, Anti-Slip Rear Diff and Hemi (non-etorque). If I can squeeze in 4wd and leather at this price range, it is a plus. Currently undecided in regards to the 3.21 vs 3.92 gears.

2020 Laramie
4X4
Trailer Brake Controller
Anti-Slip Rear Diff
Bench seats

Sticker is $50120, the dealer is offering $7200 off plus the current Laramie Rebates ($3K). The truck has been on the lot since September.

My employer qualifies me for affiliate pricing. I was originally considering a special order 2wd Bighorn, but the invoice price on my build is $44,579 (I think affiliate pricing is about 4% under published invoice) so I would technically be getting more truck by opting for the oddball Laramie.

Thoughts?
Why do you call it odd ball? Is it the bench seat in a Laramie? Is it the TBC with the 3.21?

Dawgsfan11

Reaction score
If a dealer sent me a build sheet with a price that says "net/net", what the heck does that mean? I haven't gotten clarification from them whether that means TTL is included or not. I'm guessing it doesn't include TTL, because it would be a few thousand lower than any other offer I've gotten. But I wanted to check with everyone here. I can't seem to find an answer on google.

Edit: I got the answer. I guess this is the “invoice” price and it is prior to TTL.

Last edited:

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2020 Laramie
4X4
Trailer Brake Controller
Anti-Slip Rear Diff
Bench seats
Not oddball. Saw many bench seats when I was looking at Big Horns and Laramies.

MSRP for a bare-bones "entry level" 4x4 crew cab Laramie is around $43K.

If it's got what you want then it's not an oddball. 3.21 dumps about 3K of towing but the truck has plenty of go with those (I have them). You basically get one less lower gear and one more higher gear. Good thread on that somewhere.

Once everyone realized that the tow mirrors cost you heat, power fold, and 360 degree camera dealershhips starting just going with the trailer brake controller to keep the smaller mirrors with all the features.

U

User_3336

Don't just assume a dealer is always going to give up his holdback!!! Majority of the people don't even know what that is, and some dealers get on the defensive when you demand that as a part of the deal.

U

User_3336

Just ask that the "OTD" (out the door), or "on the road" price is. That includes all taxes and fees.

If a dealer sent me a build sheet with a price that says "net/net", what the heck does that mean? I haven't gotten clarification from them whether that means TTL is included or not. I'm guessing it doesn't include TTL, because it would be a few thousand lower than any other offer I've gotten. But I wanted to check with everyone here. I can't seem to find an answer on google.

Edit: I got the answer. I guess this is the “invoice” price and it is prior to TTL.

RB1500

Reaction score
Looking to order a 2020 Bighorn . Does anyone know if the RAM dealers
Will lock in the incentives on a truck being delivered in future?

Ramaroo

Reaction score
Looking to order a 2020 Bighorn . Does anyone know if the RAM dealers
Will lock in the incentives on a truck being delivered in future?
Mine said they were unable to lock in any factory based incentive if I decided to order.

Pbuening

Reaction score
I am looking at a Laramie build and the best I have been able to find is a price of $48k before taxes etc. the msrp is just over $57k? Does this seem like a good deal? And they said I could switch to new rebates if better when the truck arrives in July/August - does anyone think they will be better than on a 2020? My thoughts were that they might be since they will be rolling out 2021s soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dawgsfan11

Reaction score
I am looking at a Laramie build and the best I have been able to find is a price of $48k before taxes etc. the msrp is just over $57k? Does this seem like a good deal? And they said I could switch to new rebates if better when the truck arrives in July/August - does anyone think they will be better than on a 2020? My thoughts were that they might be since they will be rolling out 2021s soon.

This is similar to what I’m getting too. I think based on what I’ve read that’s a pretty decent pre-rebate deal, and you will just have to hope that the incentives/rebates for a 2020 should be better in July/August or whenever it arrives.

Pbuening

Reaction score
This is similar to what I’m getting too. I think based on what I’ve read that’s a pretty decent pre-rebate deal, and you will just have to hope that the incentives/rebates for a 2020 should be better in July/August or whenever it arrives.

Actually that was with rebates built
In but you are right hopefully they are better later on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online