5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pretty big paint defect. Pictures attached.

mattz71

Reaction score
Hello everyone, just picked up my 5th gen sport. So far so good. I noticed sitting on my porch admiring my new truck that the paint on the fender was sliced a little thin. Has anyone else noticed anything like this? You can see the primer IMG_20190925_121801.jpg

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hard for me to tell from the pic but some members have had various paint issues. If it is bad and bothers you, I would have the dealer take care of it. Of course then you have the issues of does the paint match exactly or resale value if someone notices, etc. But I don’t see any other options.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Possible that its not a factory defect, and that its a bad repair done by the dealer after delivery or while on the lot.

an indépendant body shop should be able to gauge the paint and color, and see if in fact its even factory paint, or something that was done after.

just saying, dealers try to hide that kind of **** all the time and pass it off like "that's how it came"

airgas1998

Reaction score
are you talking that lighter colored area in the corner region of the fender? if so yeah f that....or is that just a glare...

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The take it back alarm is sounding LOUD!!! Thats a bad excuse for a paint job.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I'm not sure what is the defect or glare. Is it that light area where the fender and bumper meet?

TWRam

Reaction score
Not to sound like an A-hole, but you didn't see it when you took delivery?
Atta boy! Throw salt on that wound! Kick him when he down! Add insult to that injury! Definitely make him explain himself for his oversight! :rolleyes:

an A-hole would say, you didn't see it when you took delivery?
I fixed your post for you

OP, take the truck back, express how you are disheartened by the significant paint defect, and politely request that they replace the panel with a properly painted one. Should be a no brainer for the dealer. I, personally, would not want any type of respray, rather, a new painted panel from the factory.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Atta boy! Throw that salt on that wound! Make him explain himself for his oversight! :rolleyes:

OP, take the truck back, express how you are disheartened by the significant paint defect, and politely request that they replace the panel with a properly painted one. Should be a no brainer for the dealer. I, personally, would not want any type of respray, rather, a new painted panel from the factory.

He won't be able to get a factory painted panel unless they remove a panel from an unsold truck, which is highly unlikely. The dealership will not be able to get a factory painted fender either.

I've worked at dealership delivery, and getting new truck doesn't mean you didn't get one that wasn't repaired while it was there. Vehicles get damaged in transit and at the lot. They get repaired and sold without having to disclose it to the buyer.

GoMango16

Reaction score
Get it fixed and enjoy your truck. Nothing to repair other than a re-paint that is so new it should be an exact match if done by a good body shop.

TWRam

Reaction score
He won't be able to get a factory painted panel unless they remove a panel from an unsold truck, which is highly unlikely. The dealership will not be able to get a factory painted fender either.

I've worked at dealership delivery, and getting new truck doesn't mean you didn't get one that wasn't repaired while it was there. Vehicles get damaged in transit and at the lot. They get repaired and sold without having to disclose it to the buyer.
It is unfortunate that a factory painted replacement does not exist. If this paint issue was not from the factory, but from a repair shop, I certainly hope the truck does not go back to the same shop that felt their repair was in acceptable in any way.

Klute

Reaction score
Atta boy! Throw salt on that wound! Kick him when he down! Add insult to that injury! Definitely make him explain himself for his oversight! :rolleyes:

Well thanks...TWRam. I don't need your help.

Not kicking when he was down....at a minimum the salesman and or detail people should have been able to see that when they washed the truck before delivery. I understand being excited when you get your ride. So many things running through your head, paperwork, fincancing etc that the buyer may miss it. That said the dealership failed on a couple of levels.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
It is unfortunate that a factory painted replacement does not exist. If this paint issue was not from the factory, but from a repair shop, I certainly hope the truck does not go back to the same shop that felt their repair was in acceptable in any way.

Yup, it sucks. It could be a factory defect or also a dealership or delivery one.

I have a defect on the roof of my Rebel, a 4-5" oval that is slightly darker than the rest of the paint. Probably a spot fix at the factory. Luckily for me it's hard to see, so I decided to just let it go. But for the OP, he's got one right where he will see it everyday.

Though a good body shop can easily fix that and match it well. As for breaking the factory paint, it's someone none of us want, but a good shop should make it undetectable.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The same paint the factory uses is available to the dealer and professional paint shops. In addition to that they have paint scanners and other technology that will help get an exact match since its brand new and no fading has occurred.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The same paint the factory uses is available to the dealer and professional paint shops. In addition to that they have paint scanners and other technology that will help get an exact match since its brand new and no fading has occurred.
I agree. A dealership with a good body shop can repaint that panel and make it match the factory job. I had a three year old Chrysler several years ago that was in a minor accident. It was Taupe color; which I was concerned that the body shop couldn't match. I took to a local Chrysler body shop and they matched the paint perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread