5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PPF Question

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've never had PPF on a vehicle, but I have a general question to folks who have PPF installed. After installation, how bad does it get chewed up by rock chips and debris? Or does it? I think of it as a sacrificial layer to protect your paint. I could see that over time it has the potential to start looking ratty and fraying. Does it? Thanks in advance.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Rocks will go right through and leave chips under the paint.
No way to repair the PPF, need to get an entire new piece.
It should fray, can yellow or change color over time but the good ones shouldn't.

It's like a really thick plastic wrap put on with glue to give you an idea of the consistency.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rocks will go right through and leave chips under the paint.
No way to repair the PPF, need to get an entire new piece.
It should fray, can yellow or change color over time but the good ones shouldn't.

It's like a really thick plastic wrap put on with glue to give you an idea of the consistency.
Thanks. That's kind of what I thought. I was thinking about PPF since I'm frequently tooling around on construction sites but I'm unsure how long it would last.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve had mine on for a while now and the entire front end of my truck still looks brand new. My 2020 Ram front bumper looked horrible. It was covered in rock chips which was very noticeable with the Mineral Gray. No issues with my XPEL PPF. Just don’t go cheap.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’ve had mine on for a while now and the entire front end of my truck still looks brand new. My 2020 Ram front bumper looked horrible. It was covered in rock chips which are very noticeable with the Mineral Gray. No issues with my XPEL PPF. Just don’t go cheap.
Same with mine. Even had someone hit the side of the bumper. Tore up the PPF, but paint is still great. No dent either, but that was because they didn't hit just scraped it.

Rocks don't don't go through it.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve had mine on for a while now and the entire front end of my truck still looks brand new. My 2020 Ram front bumper looked horrible. It was covered in rock chips which was very noticeable with the Mineral Gray. No issues with my XPEL PPF. Just don’t go cheap.
Thanks. Good info. The shop I'm looking used to do Xpel but became a Ceramic Pro dealer and switched to Kavaca.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same with mine. Even had someone hit the side of the bumper. Tore up the PPF, but paint is still great. No dent either, but that was because they didn't hit just scraped it.

Were you able to get the PPF replaced by their insurance?

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Cost will vary depending on how much coverage there is and where you get it done. I paid $1750 in the Dallas area for XPEL film for full hood, full front fenders, full front bumper, headlights, grill surround, mirrors and cowl below headlights.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

Rocks and and do go through it.
I have a rock leave a flap in my last truck that had XPEL.
Ripped the xpel up, chipped the paint and went down to bare metal and the xpel flapped right over it leaving it exposed to the elements.
Was going to be $700 to have another piece purchased and applied.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Rocks and and do go through it.
I have a rock leave a flap in my last truck that had XPEL.
Ripped the xpel up, chipped the paint and went down to bare metal and the xpel flapped right over it leaving it exposed to the elements.
Was going to be $700 to have another piece purchased and applied.
Must of been a big rock then.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Cost will vary depending on how much coverage there is and where you get it done. I paid $1750 in the Dallas area for XPEL film for full hood, full front fenders, full front bumper, headlights, grill surround, mirrors and cowl below headlights.
Understood. My bumpers are chrome. Would they put PPF on chrome or does it only apply to painted bumpers?

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have on my 2016 qx80 and it still looks good. No chips, dents etc.
As another member said—- On my 2020 Ram 1500 Limited night edition the rock chips etc were very noticeable after 20000 miles. Had to have bumper front end repainted. Currently getting entire front done in spells to avoid a repeat with my new truck.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have one more question for folks with PPF. PPF installers have recommended not using a pressure washer on vehicles with PPF. What's the real risk of damage to the PPF or of the PPF peeling away after the curing period is over? Are they just covering their asses or is it a real concern?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have one more question for folks with PPF. PPF installers have recommended not using a pressure washer on vehicles with PPF. What's the real risk of damage to the PPF or of the PPF peeling away after the curing period is over? Are they just covering their asses or is it a real concern?
You can 100% use a pressure washer.
Just don't use it on a spray angle\PSI that would destroy your actual paint.

Users who are viewing this thread