5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power Wagon vs. 1500

filup01

Reaction score
I need help understanding the Power Wagon. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a fan of Ram. I have owned several and currently own a new 1500 and an older 2nd gen Cummins. Numbers below are from Rams website.

Ram 1500 4X4 Crew Cab Bighorn 3.21 gears
Curb weight: 5259
Payload: 1840
Tow: 8240
MPG: 18.5 (average in my current new Ram 1500)
HP/Torque: 395/410

Power Wagon
Curb weight: 7055
Payload: 1510
Tow: 10,350
MPG: 14.4 (Fast Lane Truck-YouTube)
HP/Torque: 410/429

Again, I’m not bashing the Power Wagon but apples to apples, the Ram 1500 appears better. With 3.92 gears, it’ll tow as much as the Power Wagon and has a greater payload, MPG, and because of the weight savings, the 1500 has a better power to weight ratio. Then there’s the price. The Power Wagon seldom comes off of sticker and a 1500 can be had for upwards of $15k off. That’s a lot of coin to buy a lift, couple of lockers, a winch, and some Duratec tires. Knowing this, I’m having a hard time understanding why a Power Wagon is better?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Knowing this, I’m having a hard time understanding why a Power Wagon is better?
A Powerwagon starts out as a Heavy Duty truck. The Powerwagon loses payload and towing because of the suspension, to do that amazing articulation.

A Powerwagon has components a 1500 can only dream of.

Tradesman with Powerwagon package brings that price down, and Payload and towing back up.

I think you will find trying to make a 1500 a Powerwagon will cost way more.

And at the end of the day...when you load the 1500 to max and hook a max trailer to it...the Powerwagon will handle its max capacity much easier and safer.

RPeezy

Reaction score
The Power Wagon has two solid axles, locking front and rear diffs, and comes with a winch, disconnecting sway bar, and Bilstein shocks. They are worlds apart.

19Jake

Reaction score
Power Wagon seldom comes off of sticker & a 1500 can be had for upwards of $15k off. I’m having a hard time understanding why a Power Wagon is better?
Got over 25% off sticker on my Rebel 12
I can get $13K off sticker on a PW...unique luxury war wagon (y)
pw.png

Attachments

• pw.png
    pw.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s all depending on what your after. The power wagon is an awesome beast designed for something totally different than a 1/2 ton truck with bigger tires. Read up on it some and you’ll understand. Motor trend did a test and the power wagon bested the Raptor in just about everything. It is the most capable off road truck you can get.

wahudiditagain

Reaction score
The Power Wagon has two solid axles, locking front and rear diffs, and comes with a winch, disconnecting sway bar, and Bilstein shocks. They are worlds apart.

Not to mention the serious transfer case and ability to put 35" tires on it from the factory. The gas milage is terrible (no way it gets the 14.4 mpg TFL Truck says - I have friends who own them and its more like 10 or 11) but it is a beast of a truck.

vulf

Reaction score
I've started looking at Power Wagons because I see that a similarly equipped 1500 has a pretty similar MSRP. I've gotten quotes for over 8k off MSRP on an ordered 2019 PW from the high volume dealers in the northwest. I drive a F150 now and was looking to trade it for another F150 or a Ram 1500 but when I see PWs selling for the same price as a nicely equipped half ton, well, I'm looking hard at the PW. To me, it seems like it's the best value in terms of what you get for your money.

TFL did a highway MPG loop on the 2019 PW and got 16.5 MPG by the way. It's in their newer video talking about the Rebel and PW.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Texagonian

Reaction score
Oregon or Texas depending on weather or mood.
Exactly the same thing I'm seeing Vulf.

A highly speced 1500 Limited is right there MSRP wise on a top spec PW. Longhorn and Limited easily over.

Different trucks for different folks, but for me, I'd rather put that money towards more truck over nicer stitching, wood grains, and air suspensions...

vulf

Reaction score
Start calling around for actual quotes. Like I said, I was quoted $8500 off MSRP before any RAM incentives from one of the volume sellers in the Northwest. It may not be as good as the 1500 but they seem to be pretty aggressive with pricing for the 2500, even on Power Wagons.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Different trucks for different folks, but for me, I'd rather put that money towards more truck over nicer stitching, wood grains, and air suspensions...
I considered that for a minute, but then I thought about how I actually use mine (mostly in the city), and the fact that these new 1500s have much nicer cabins (more rear seat legroom, reclining rear seats, ventilated rear seats, three true rear seats, better center console design, better USB port availability, panoramic sunroof, etc.), and I realized I should be happy with my choice.

But if I actually needed the raw capability, the Power Wagon would be a contender for sure.

Texagonian

Reaction score
Oregon or Texas depending on weather or mood.
Hey Vulf, I'm out in Oregon and I don't mind going for a drive. Would you mind sharing the dealership you got quotes from?

Speedy, that's kind of the internal debate in having with myself. Yes, a Laramie Longhorn is also tempting... Very. I love that black/saddle color interior.

Being this will be my daily for min the next 8 years, that makes sense to be in comfort with every feature.

But it's not like the PW is far behind in that aspect. You lose a few things, the reclining rear seats, panoramic sunroof, some ports and wireless and no 60/40 split tailgate. But I'm pretty sure the PW being an HD will hold it's value much better.

30's me would take PW and never look back and have a blast with it. 40 year old me however is preferring room service to camping here lately. Lol

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Vulf, I'm out in Oregon and I don't mind going for a drive. Would you mind sharing the dealership you got quotes from?

Speedy, that's kind of the internal debate in having with myself. Yes, a Laramie Longhorn is also tempting... Very. I love that black/saddle color interior.

Being this will be my daily for min the next 8 years, that makes sense to be in comfort with every feature.

But it's not like the PW is far behind in that aspect. You lose a few things, the reclining rear seats, panoramic sunroof, some ports and wireless and no 60/40 split tailgate. But I'm pretty sure the PW being an HD will hold it's value much better.

30's me would take PW and never look back and have a blast with it. 40 year old me however is preferring room service to camping here lately. Lol
Trust me, if I had an extra garage bay, it would have something like the Power Wagon for playing. It might be a ‘50s Power Wagon, though...or vintage Land Cruiser, or Range Rover...you get the idea.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

60’s me with 60’s wife who got tired of roughing it in a 1977 GMC 1 Ton CC 4x4 and a 1972 21’ travel trailer got the limited and go to hotels now. I still like to camp but she prefers hot water showers and air con, not to mention room service. I won’t take anything away from youngun’s who want a capable off-road truck. I had my fun in an M151a1 in the army back 40 years ago.
23517 Not me but its an M151A1...

Users who are viewing this thread