5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power tilt mirror erratic in cold temps

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the tow mirrors and I like the power tilt option on the passenger side upon shifting to reverse because I back in to my tight space garage tight and it helps with providing a line of sight with my visual ground markers on that side of the vehicle. During the warm months I never have an issue with them operating (tilting down and returning to settings upon taking it out of reverse). It usually gets stuck in the "down position" upon shifting to drive. I plan to bring this up with the dealer on a warranty issue soon but I was curious if others have this problem just during cold weather (usually < 40 degrees) and what the shop has done to correct. Do they just replace out the whole mirror assembly?

Pop's Ram

Reaction score
Not sure about the cold, but mine are intermittently finicky. They ALWAYS tilt down upon going into reverse, but not always return to normal. I try to remember to wait after I'm done backing up and switch to Park before shutting off the engine. That seems to help, but with me stuck at home (damn COVID), I don't drive it as much as I normally would so I haven't nailed it down to a specific reason. Waiting to shut down does seem to help, WHEN I remember to wait.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure about the cold, but mine are intermittently finicky. They ALWAYS tilt down upon going into reverse, but not always return to normal. I try to remember to wait after I'm done backing up and switch to Park before shutting off the engine. That seems to help, but with me stuck at home (damn COVID), I don't drive it as much as I normally would so I haven't nailed it down to a specific reason. Waiting to shut down does seem to help, WHEN I remember to wait.
Thanks, I'll try to wait longer to shift but I suspect my speed in shifting is the same in all weather so something still seems awry. I hope you get more time in your truck once this COVID lifts!

Pop's Ram

Reaction score
Thanks. By the way, its not the speed in shifting for me - its how quick I shut down AFTER backing up and putting it in park. The last few times I got home, I waited until the mirrors returned before I shut down. It worked as advertisied.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have the tow mirrors and I like the power tilt option on the passenger side upon shifting to reverse because I back in to my tight space garage tight and it helps with providing a line of sight with my visual ground markers on that side of the vehicle. During the warm months I never have an issue with them operating (tilting down and returning to settings upon taking it out of reverse). It usually gets stuck in the "down position" upon shifting to drive. I plan to bring this up with the dealer on a warranty issue soon but I was curious if others have this problem just during cold weather (usually < 40 degrees) and what the shop has done to correct. Do they just replace out the whole mirror assembly?
Hi @Jtr, feel free to send us a private message if you have any additional questions to address with your dealer. We would be happy to offer additional support if needed!

Kathryn
Ram Cares

whitetales

Reaction score
My 2019 RAM's driver's side mirror makes a grinding sound when I run them in and out and then it appears to be floppy in the wind. Acts like a gear is stripped out. I'll be taking it to the dealership soon to have it looked at.

minmar10

Reaction score
I have noticed my passenger mirror does the same also. It has done it when it is warm and cold. When I go in for my first oil change I’m going to bring it up. I am also having some issues with moisture getting into my head lights.

Users who are viewing this thread