5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power Steering warning light/ failure

Florida Truck

Reaction score
Question, I was practicing with my new camper trailer ( 14’ ) backing into parking spaces. After two runs and while backing up my power Steering warning light came on and I lost power steering for a couple of minutes. The light reset and was fine until I backed into my residence with the trailer and again it came on and I lost power steering. I disconnected the camper and drove around and the light isn’t coming on and the power steering seems fine.
What do you think is the problem? Does the system shut down if you use the steering to much and then reset ?

Any advice would be appreciated

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is a recall for cleaning of a ground wire that supposedly causes temporary loss of power steering when the ground is bad. Have you had that recall done?

Florida Truck

Reaction score
Not sure , I go in to have it checked Tuesday, I make sure they check it

Florida Truck

Reaction score
Mr. James, Just check my VIN and it appears the ground recall was completed

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not sure , I go in to have it checked Tuesday, I make sure they check it

Hi Florida Truck,
Please keep us updated with your dealer visit, if you need any additional layer of assistance you can reach us through private message!
Laura
Ram Cares

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mr. James, Just check my VIN and it appears the ground recall was completed
They (or you) might want to check it again. Maybe they didn't clean off all the paint or didn't tighten the ground enough. Your symptoms just seem like a temporary loss of ground rather than an actual power steering failure.

Florida Truck

Reaction score
They (or you) might want to check it again. Maybe they didn't clean off all the paint or didn't tighten the ground enough. Your symptoms just seem like a temporary loss of ground rather than an actual power steering failure.
[/QUO

Florida Truck

Reaction score
Update, Dealer found that the ECU overheated and shut down per error code shown on diagnostics.. Typically response: we can’t duplicate the problem, vehicle is running as like vehicles, if the problem happens again we might have to look at replacing the ECU

TheMightyWyatt

Reaction score
Question, I was practicing with my new camper trailer ( 14’ ) backing into parking spaces. After two runs and while backing up my power Steering warning light came on and I lost power steering for a couple of minutes. The light reset and was fine until I backed into my residence with the trailer and again it came on and I lost power steering. I disconnected the camper and drove around and the light isn’t coming on and the power steering seems fine.
What do you think is the problem? Does the system shut down if you use the steering to much and then reset ?

Any advice would be appreciated
This exact same thing happened to me last night. I was also practicing with my camper, and started to smell burning, and then the power steering temperature light camp on. I parked and let it cool off. Today when I started it up, I got warnings about Stop/Start being disabled along with traction control. My check engine light is on, as well. I have an appointment with the dealership tomorrow morning to see what's up.

TheMightyWyatt

Reaction score
Update: Went to the dealership, and they said that my vacuum pump melted. There was a software update that came out last month that would have prevented it from overheating.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Update: Went to the dealership, and they said that my vacuum pump melted. There was a software update that came out last month that would have prevented it from overheating.

Hello TheMightyWyatt,
We are certainly sorry to hear about your recent experiences, however, we are happy to hear you are working with your dealer towards a resolution. If you need any additional assistance throughout this process, please reach out to us privately. We'd be happy to help.
Laura
RamCares

mazyon

Reaction score
i was backing up with a trailer and this appeared as i was rotating the tires. what have been your experiences with it? restarting the car, the light is gone.

RAM_Davis

Reaction score
Hi Since someone already resurrected this from the dead, can I ask if anyone has found cause of this? I too just got a pop up camper and when backing it into my driveway (multiple adjustments, I'm new to trailers) the power steering overheating light came on and i lost power steering. I wrestled it and got it parked and it is fine now, but is there a cause/fix to this? I fear this will happen again at the worst time. It's not an easy vehicle to control without power steering. Truck is a 2020 Longhorn.

Users who are viewing this thread