5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power Running Board Help

RichM1983

Reaction score
Hey all. I need some help from someone smarter than me. Reading around on the site I saw you could add the factory power running boards to your truck and it was simple plug and play. Some have said it required a dealer visit. Others conflict with that.

Anyway so when everyone said plug and play my dumb self didn’t realize the $1500 kit from Mopar came with wiring and a control module. So I scoured eBay and found a set of takeoff from a 19 Longhorn. No harness or anything included.

So they arrive and bolt right up. BUT I need help figuring out how to wire these up or part numbers for the harnesses and control module.

And I’d like a final answer on whether or not a dealer has to program the truck to make them work or if they will work without a dealer visit? I know to get the option on the Uconnect screen a dealer visit is required but I’m not overly concerned with that feature.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks all!

RichM1983

Reaction score
Well I called the local dealer and they couldn't help. MOPAR doesn't even have a number. I had to email them. Nothing back yet. I tired AMP research thinking they could sell me a control module for their stuff that would power mine. The guy acted like I was insane and said mine would never work.

Can anyone help? There are two harnesses and two separate control modules. I know MOPAR has to have a part number for them separate. Would anyone be willing to crawl around their truck and find the numbers for me? I'm desperate at this point.

Thanks again!

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd have to dig into it myself to see .. I am still trying to get a set of schematics for my own mods but have not yet been able to find a set.

RichM1983

Reaction score
I found the controller. I called my local dealer. Luckily my wife's dad used to work at a Dodge dealer. The guy couldn't find anything but called MOPAR and was able to get a part number that they say should work for the wiring harness. We'll see. I ordered it today.

RichM1983

Reaction score
Most welcome ..

Since you have a Laramie with the power steps could you do me a favor and look up under the driver side dash and find the box that controls the power running boards? There should be two connectors plugged into it. Its right beside where the steering shaft passes through the firewall. Look to see if you see any part numbers or wire tags on the two harnesses that plug into the control unit.

That would be a huge help.

Thanks

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry, Mine is just now in phase "D" at the birthing plant :(
I was looking under a dealership one. I can stop up there if I am out today and snap a few photos - no promises, though as the storms are coming back around again.

Anyone else able to help out RichM1983?

TheFluke88

Reaction score
Here is a picture from my limited. No visible labels or part numbers on the wire connectors/harness

Attachments

• Power step controller 1.jpg
    Power step controller 1.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 202
  • Power step controller 2.jpg
    Power step controller 2.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 192

RichM1983

Reaction score
Here is a picture from my limited. No visible labels or part numbers on the wire connectors/harness

Thats awesome I appreciate the help. It sucks theres no label or part number for the wires. The pic still helps a lot though.

RichM1983

Reaction score
I have success! The guy at the dealer was able to call MOPAR and they came up with the right part for all the wiring. It’s only missing the grey connector from the running board kit. No big deal. Part number 68422689AB. I can’t find it online but Dutch Miller in Charleston WV ordered it and got it.

Attachments

• 842927A3-8AB0-462E-A0F2-E56996EE0ABE.jpeg
    842927A3-8AB0-462E-A0F2-E56996EE0ABE.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 81

der9765

Reaction score
I have success! The guy at the dealer was able to call MOPAR and they came up with the right part for all the wiring. It’s only missing the grey connector from the running board kit. No big deal. Part number 68422689AB. I can’t find it online but Dutch Miller in Charleston WV ordered it and got it.
Were you able to find the grey connector that is needed for the install?

RichM1983

Reaction score
Were you able to find the grey connector that is needed for the install?

No I called the service guy back that helped me so much. He was able to find it on the parts system but it wouldn't just let him order that connector. I tried an aftermarket company and they couldn't find anything either. I think my next choice is going to be to find one in a junk yard.

Does anyone know of any in a junk yard?

DYLANHUNT2

Reaction score
No I called the service guy back that helped me so much. He was able to find it on the parts system but it wouldn't just let him order that connector. I tried an aftermarket company and they couldn't find anything either. I think my next choice is going to be to find one in a junk yard.

Does anyone know of any in a junk yard?
Did you ever find out if the dealer needed to program the truck in order for the steps to work?

RichM1983

Reaction score
Did you ever find out if the dealer needed to program the truck in order for the steps to work?

Well I got mine rigged up temporarily since I can’t find that one connector and it wouldn’t work. So I’m assuming anyone who says they work is either telling a lie or something is different about their truck.

Users who are viewing this thread