5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power folding mirror gear replacement available

Ontopofit

Reaction score
I noticed this replacement is finally available, https://www.gruvenparts.com/2019-ram-metal-power-folding-mirror-gears/
Has anyone attempted to do this install yet? They don’t really have any instructions

I keep attempting to make a service appointment at the dealer to have them replace my passenger mirror, but every time I call they say they next available appt is 3-4 weeks out...such a waste of time for them to tell me “yeah it’s stripped, we’ll have to order a new mirror”

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I feel as if these need to be purchased as a preemptive measure for the day when the plastic gear will eventually break, thanks for the link (y)

2019REBEL

Reaction score
I am getting both mine replaced. They ordered the parts, took about a week to get the parts then they gave me a call to bring it in. Told them I have to work this week so Monday was earliest I can bring it in.

Ontopofit

Reaction score
I am getting both mine replaced. They ordered the parts, took about a week to get the parts then they gave me a call to bring it in. Told them I have to work this week so Monday was earliest I can bring it in.
I’d love to make it one trip, I actually drove by the service shop earlier this year to see if they could just hurry up and verify it was stripped and order the part and call me when it comes in to fix it...The tech even said I was most probably right and they understood what I was trying to accomplish, but they still needed me to go home, call and make an appointment, come back, have them verify it was stripped so they could order a new mirror and make another appointment to have them replace it. Foolish if you ask me, especially since like i said, they keep telling me they next available appointment is a month out

2019REBEL

Reaction score
I’d love to make it one trip, I actually drove by the service shop earlier this year to see if they could just hurry up and verify it was stripped and order the part and call me when it comes in to fix it...The tech even said I was most probably right and they understood what I was trying to accomplish, but they still needed me to go home, call and make an appointment, come back, have them verify it was stripped so they could order a new mirror and make another appointment to have them replace it. Foolish if you ask me, especially since like i said, they keep telling me they next available appointment is a month out

Wow the shop I go to the mechanics are sittin around waiting for a job.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I feel as if these need to be purchased as a preemptive measure for the day when the plastic gear will eventually break, thanks for the link (y)
Had my 2019 for 2 years and NEVER had an issue with the folding mirrors. Had a Tazer in that truck set to auto fold every time the truck was turned off and then turned back on so they got a ton of use. I'd wait for them to break before spending money to fix something that aint broken!

Greg10yes

Reaction score
I noticed this replacement is finally available, https://www.gruvenparts.com/2019-ram-metal-power-folding-mirror-gears/
Has anyone attempted to do this install yet? They don’t really have any instructions

I keep attempting to make a service appointment at the dealer to have them replace my passenger mirror, but every time I call they say they next available appt is 3-4 weeks out...such a waste of time for them to tell me “yeah it’s stripped, we’ll have to order a new mirror”
I just ordered Gruvenparts replacements since I am out of warranty, I should have them in a few days, hoping the install isn’t a train wreck.

Ontopofit

Reaction score
I just ordered Gruvenparts replacements since I am out of warranty, I should have them in a few days, hoping the install isn’t a train wreck.
Keep us posted, I’m interested on how it goes

50Front

Reaction score
Parts are in, getting both replaced Tuesday. Left one keeps trying to open after its already open and the right is just dead...

Greg10yes

Reaction score
Will be a slight delay in installing the parts from Gruven, had a small issue with one of the parts but so far they have been really responsive. I am working on instructions and work flow to take the mirrors apart, not too bad once you figure out where those little devils put all the tabs.

Greg10yes

Reaction score
Just wanted to follow up on my experience with the replacement gears/motors from Gruven. I would stay away from them. I bought 2 sets to do both mirrors. There are 2 potential failure modes in the ram mirrors, if the motor fails, Gruven might work for you. In my case and in what I have read on the forum, the mirror bounces back and forth like it can’t find the detent to stop it. There is a plastic clutch in the gear assembly that stops the movement and also enables you to manually move the mirrors. For this failure, Gruven does’t have a solution. I created a long procedure for disassembling the mirror assemblies and paid for 2 mirror kits and after going back and forth with Gruven on a solution, I quit hearing from them and am out the money.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just wanted to follow up on my experience with the replacement gears/motors from Gruven. I would stay away from them. I bought 2 sets to do both mirrors. There are 2 potential failure modes in the ram mirrors, if the motor fails, Gruven might work for you. In my case and in what I have read on the forum, the mirror bounces back and forth like it can’t find the detent to stop it. There is a plastic clutch in the gear assembly that stops the movement and also enables you to manually move the mirrors. For this failure, Gruven does’t have a solution. I created a long procedure for disassembling the mirror assemblies and paid for 2 mirror kits and after going back and forth with Gruven on a solution, I quit hearing from them and am out the money.
Time to dispute your charge with your credit card company ;)

Mr4x403

Reaction score
Parts are in, getting both replaced Tuesday. Left one keeps trying to open after its already open and the right is just dead...
I am having the same issue with my drivers mirror. It folds out and keeps wanting to go more, over and over until it finally stops. Very annoying and even turned off the Tazor auto fold because of it. Does anyone know what options there is to fix it? I also am out of warranty and would like to dig into it to fix it.

Thanks

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I am having the same issue with my drivers mirror. It folds out and keeps wanting to go more, over and over until it finally stops. Very annoying and even turned off the Tazor auto fold because of it. Does anyone know what options there is to fix it? I also am out of warranty and would like to dig into it to fix it.

Thanks
Have the dealer fix it (if you’re still under warranty).

NewRam92

Reaction score
Bought my 2019 Limited in December used with 21k miles on it. I baby this truck, I wash it every week and I'm super careful around the mirrors. 1 time I did mistakenly bump the mirror when it was sticking out and shortly thereafter it started acting up. First it would close with a delay, then came the grinding noise, then the popping noise, then it stopped working all together. This was on the passenger side. Luckily I'm still under warranty and the dealer replaced it no questions asked. That was 2 months ago.

Fast forward to now, my driver's side mirror is doing the same. I'm positive I've never bumped the driver side mirror, and I have no clue what caused it. It's almost like it slipped out of alignment and was never able to recover. Once it started, I tried to fix it by holding it in place until the gear could "re-catch", it seemed to work for about a week and then acted up again. Now it's popping and appears to be hanging on by a thread - dealership said 2 weeks for the part, so in the meantime I'm too afraid to fold my mirrors in.

I'm really hoping I just had 2 duds and now with both mirrors replaced I'll be fine. But it's definitely a cause for concern for me - 2 mirrors in 2 months on a $50k ($66k new) truck?

Anyone know if Ram has upgraded the internals? These mirrors seem so temperamental for such a "rugged" vehicle.

Bugsy

Reaction score
Does anyone have any updates to this thread? Experience with Gruven, the product or installation?

I had my passenger side mirror replaced under warranty a year or so ago. Now the driver side mirror is starting to act up and it's no longer under warranty. Like the above poster, I've never smacked them into anything or even manually folded them. In fact, I hardly use the power fold feature. Truck has under 16K miles and is hardly driven. Very poor quality from the Mopar people...

Users who are viewing this thread