5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Potential new Owner; I have some configuration questions

5thgenram1989

Reaction score
Evening gentleman,

I'm looking at a rebel as my next car. Just wondering if I can get a v8 with air suspension and the top tech package (the one that comes with that massive screen). I notice I can't configure that speck out online without removing the big V8.

Which leads me to my next few questions:

Air suspension, worth the 2k?

Sunroof? I have never had one, and I truly do desire one. But, I read that they are nothing but headaches. Thoughts?

What mapping software does RAM use? How accurate is it?

One last, can I get an input, question. Is it better in my favor if I trade in my car (2016 2ss Camaro), or if I try and sell it privately, then negotiate a lease deal. I keep hearing that it's better that I trade up for the car I want.

Thanks everyone.

EDIT:
I just started looking at the other models offered, and I noticed that Rebels do not qualify for "advance safety" features, such as adaptive cruise control, heated/ventilated seats, etc.. Can someone tell me why?

Last edited:

Webbd30

Reaction score
Evening gentleman,

I'm looking at a rebel as my next car. Just wondering if I can get a v8 with air suspension and the top tech package (the one that comes with that massive screen). I notice I can't configure that speck out online without removing the big V8.

Which leads me to my next few questions:

Sunroof? I have never had one, and I truly do desire one. But, I read that they are nothing but headaches. Thoughts?

One last, can I get an input, question. Is it better in my favor if I trade in my car (2016 2ss Camaro), or if I try and sell it privately, then negotiate a lease deal. I keep hearing that it's better that I trade up for the car I want.

Thanks everyone.

EDIT:
I just started looking at the other models offered, and I noticed that Rebels do not qualify for "advance safety" features, such as adaptive cruise control, heated/ventilated seats, etc.. Can someone tell me why?

Hey so I went through this entire battle about the rebel and overall creature comforts. you are not going to get much of what use to be offered back in late 2018 like leather seats.

Suggest you check out the "Laramie Sport" this will get you close to the rebel PLUS hook you up with awesome features like 360 cameras, air cooled seats, and a ton more!

check out my post here: https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...ld-love-some-advice-and-info.8157/post-119878

I can try and post more if you'd like. these models also have the rebel hood installed on them for looks.

5thgenram1989

Reaction score
Hey so I went through this entire battle about the rebel and overall creature comforts. you are not going to get much of what use to be offered back in late 2018 like leather seats.

Suggest you check out the "Laramie Sport" this will get you close to the rebel PLUS hook you up with awesome features like 360 cameras, air cooled seats, and a ton more!

check out my post here: https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...ld-love-some-advice-and-info.8157/post-119878

I can try and post more if you'd like. these models also have the rebel hood installed on them for looks.
Well, if its possible, we can maybe take this offline and connect via a phone call..I'm a but upset because I fell for the rebel, but those creature comforts really do make a world of difference. Especially in Miami.

I'll read your post. Ideally, I want the closest look to a rebel!

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There’s a lot of good threads here that discuss the various packages. You should read up on them and figure out which ones are a must. One option I think is so worth it is the pano roof. Ive had them on other vehicles and could take it or leave it but on this truck it really opens it up. Makes a huge difference IMO. All the advanced safety stuff I could personally care less about. I don’t use cruise control, so I don’t care about adaptive cruise control. I don’t like brake assist. I like the rear camera and I like blind spot monitoring, don’t need 360 cameras. Plus I like the look and off road features of the Rebel. So the Rebel with the level 2 group, plus pano, spray in liner was perfect for me. It had the things I wanted without paying thousands extra for stuff I didn’t want or need. Two things I def did not want were etorque and air suspension, that’s just me. Some people swear by them. That’s why you need to do lots of reading up. Ask questions. Test drive.

So that said, think about what you really want and find a truck with it or custom order it with all the goodies you want. Then you know you will be happy. You can also add aftermarket touches by coloring badges, grills, wheels, etc. Good luck! Let us know what you decide and if we can help.

5thgenram1989

Reaction score
There’s a lot of good threads here that discuss the various packages. You should read up on them and figure out which ones are a must. One option I think is so worth it is the pano roof. Ive had them on other vehicles and could take it or leave it but on this truck it really opens it up. Makes a huge difference IMO. All the advanced safety stuff I could personally care less about. I don’t use cruise control, so I don’t care about adaptive cruise control. I don’t like brake assist. I like the rear camera and I like blind spot monitoring, don’t need 360 cameras. Plus I like the look and off road features of the Rebel. So the Rebel with the level 2 group, plus pano, spray in liner was perfect for me. It had the things I wanted without paying thousands extra for stuff I didn’t want or need. Two things I def did not want were etorque and air suspension, that’s just me. Some people swear by them. That’s why you need to do lots of reading up. Ask questions. Test drive.

So that said, think about what you really want and find a truck with it or custom order it with all the goodies you want. Then you know you will be happy. You can also add aftermarket touches by coloring badges, grills, wheels, etc. Good luck! Let us know what you decide and if we can help.
Any thoughts on the air suspension? Why did you opt out? I want the look of the rebel, but with the tech of the others. Is it possible to do a grill transplant and also tire swap. those are the 2 things I really want from the rebel.

Thank You!

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You’re going to get frustrated shopping online via the configurator. I’d recommend getting familiar with the different trim levels and then visit some dealer lots, kick some tires, take some test rides. You’re going to learn certain things are not available on certain trims. Bullet point your needs / wants and then see what they offer in person.

You don’t want to be that guy posting a message that you’re angry that “X” option wasn’t included because you “thought” it would have naturally come with that option since you were buying a zillion dollar truck.

5thgenram1989

Reaction score
You’re going to get frustrated shopping online via the configurator. I’d recommend getting familiar with the different trim levels and then visit some dealer lots, kick some tires, take some test rides. You’re going to learn certain things are not available on certain trims. Bullet point your needs / wants and then see what they offer in person.

You don’t want to be that guy posting a message that you’re angry that “X” option wasn’t included because you “thought” it would have naturally come with that option since you were buying a zillion dollar truck.
I agree with you, but I have yet to find a dealer, of any brand I ever bought, that knew a car better than me when I showed up. It's always a "oh yea it does this... no wait it doesn't"..Unless someone has a dealer in south florida that has a top of the line rep who can tell all teh differences apart.

Thanks

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree with you, but I have yet to find a dealer, of any brand I ever bought, that knew a car better than me when I showed up. It's always a "oh yea it does this... no wait it doesn't"..Unless someone has a dealer in south florida that has a top of the line rep who can tell all teh differences apart.

Thanks

Ditto, it's best to be an educated consumer walking in and then you can quickly get an idea of the character of the sales associate you work with and see where their BS meters. Being educated thought, you can quickly look at the trucks on the lot and know which ones you want to inspect further / test drive.

mongol_riding

Reaction score
Hey Bud,

I put my perspective on each of your questions below.

Not for me personally and for what i planned to do with the truck. For me having done a lot of overlanding overseas and choosing this rig as my next overlander back here in NA i wanted the option of having the suspension as open to customization as possible and probably would not have chosen the Rebel if it was air ride only. That being said, if i was more keen on staying on pavement with light duty off-road with some towing that air suspension may be right for you. i enjoyed the ride of it and the aesthetics as it levels itself out when towing etc. Your personal preference may dictate whether or not its worth the money.

I've had sunroofs on my previous truck (Sierra All-Terrain and F-150 XLT) and really did enjoy them and those 2 trucks i bought 2nd hand. But when it came time to dish out the money for a pano roof i opted to not take that option mainly for price and removing potential issues when i head off on overlanding trips. i'm sure i will miss the impression of openness a sunroof gives with added clarity in the summer but so far in the winter i haven't noticed a difference. it may get real hot for you in Miami as you'd get a greenhouse type effect. But what do i know?

It's ok, nothing to write home about, but with google and apple driving apps and the Waze maps. i practically never use the built in NAV app. Waze is far superior at finding the best routes.

I found you could get more money privately selling but its a greater hassle.

Thanks everyone.

EDIT:
I'm unsure of the States as i live in Canada but we can still option a Rebel 12 with heated and Vented front leather seats in either the HK or Alpine sound system which would also give you a 12 inch screen. But the advanced safety group is also not available.
If that's not enough i second what others have said, maybe a Laramie trim is right for you and it also offers tons more options and cutomizability which also includes the off-road package, black out packages etc etc. At the end of the day its all about what your plan is for having a truck and building towards that rather than to fit yourself to a truck.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the air suspension? Why did you opt out? I want the look of the rebel, but with the tech of the others. Is it possible to do a grill transplant and also tire swap. those are the 2 things I really want from the rebel.

Thank You!

I opted out of air suspension for a few reasons. I drove a few Rams with and without and didn’t think the air suspension was better, if anything I thought it was worse but that could have been varying conditions. I thought ride of Rebel was perfect. So why spend the extra $$? Plus I don’t really tow which is where I think you’d see additional benefit from the air. Last but not least, many in cold weather have had issues (many have not) so I wasn’t interested in adding that to the mix.

Wheels. I think the Rebel wheels are nice but I wouldn’t allow that guide your choice. You can find tons of aftermarket combos that look great.

Same thing with grill. Grill is fine but so are the other grills. You can also customize grills, change lettering colors or grill color etc. Minor issue IMO.

Bigger issues are the options not easily added and that cost big money. Make sure you get the things you really want and don’t waste money on things you don’t.

For example. I love heated seats and wheel (but I’m in a cold environment) but I think ventilated seats are unimpressive and I’ve had them in a few vehicles. That’s just me. Cruise control, adaptive cruise control, air suspension, not interested. Others love them. This is also the first non leather vehicle I have had in decades and I was worried about it and couldn’t love it more. Fabric looks and feels great and is much more temperature neutral. Others would never give up their leather.

So really think carefully about what you want and don’t really want/need. Go check out vehicles with and without those options.

Webbd30

Reaction score
Hey Bud,

I put my perspective on each of your questions below.

Not for me personally and for what i planned to do with the truck. For me having done a lot of overlanding overseas and choosing this rig as my next overlander back here in NA i wanted the option of having the suspension as open to customization as possible and probably would not have chosen the Rebel if it was air ride only. That being said, if i was more keen on staying on pavement with light duty off-road with some towing that air suspension may be right for you. i enjoyed the ride of it and the aesthetics as it levels itself out when towing etc. Your personal preference may dictate whether or not its worth the money.

I've had sunroofs on my previous truck (Sierra All-Terrain and F-150 XLT) and really did enjoy them and those 2 trucks i bought 2nd hand. But when it came time to dish out the money for a pano roof i opted to not take that option mainly for price and removing potential issues when i head off on overlanding trips. i'm sure i will miss the impression of openness a sunroof gives with added clarity in the summer but so far in the winter i haven't noticed a difference. it may get real hot for you in Miami as you'd get a greenhouse type effect. But what do i know?

It's ok, nothing to write home about, but with google and apple driving apps and the Waze maps. i practically never use the built in NAV app. Waze is far superior at finding the best routes.

I found you could get more money privately selling but its a greater hassle.

Thanks everyone.

EDIT:
I'm unsure of the States as i live in Canada but we can still option a Rebel 12 with heated and Vented front leather seats in either the HK or Alpine sound system which would also give you a 12 inch screen. But the advanced safety group is also not available.
If that's not enough i second what others have said, maybe a Laramie trim is right for you and it also offers tons more options and cutomizability which also includes the off-road package, black out packages etc etc. At the end of the day its all about what your plan is for having a truck and building towards that rather than to fit yourself to a truck.

I think at the end of the day we all desire different things.

To follow up on your great thoughts here's what I think.

Air suspension: I absolutely love my air ride. I do not like the way lifted trucks drive or look nor do I like how 35in tires feel on the road. In that aspect, air ride was a go-to for me. I also love the functionality of it. I have not had any issues with it nor am I afraid of having issues with it for insurance is paid for a reason.

sunroof: Absolute must have for me. I have had it in every car and truck I have owned and can't live without it.

mapping system: Not sure. I am a big fan of apple car play and use google as my go to with waze as my backup. The only time I use the trucks GPS is when I am offroading or looking for a remote place to shoot. when I have used it is has been great especially when I have no cell service.

NEVER trade in! they will take thousands off the top! Always private party and use the additional money for accessories for the truck. a few grand will not impact the overall payment of the truck by much.

as for the rebel with Advance safety and vented seats be sure to check the build sheet before your purchase. I tried to load up a rebel 12, and they DO NOT have vented seats just heated. keep that in mind.

I went with the Laramie due to the build options offered, and LOVE all the options over the rebel I was able to get. Trust me I was SOLD on the rebel. but when I saw what I was missing out on for dam near the same price I had to stop, do my research and rethink my purchase ultimately changing my mind on the rebel. Unfortunately the rebel is a few years behind its counterparts "Limited and Laramie" so it was a no go for me.

5thgenram1989

Reaction score
REBEL 12 > vented seats/advanced safety unavailable

Man, do I wish I can say that!! LOVE the Rebel, but I think my decision is going to be the other trims. Those comfort creatures win me over! I'm a sucker for tech! Also, with Mopar parts, I can make my car look like the rebel for 3-4k or so. I think it's the rims/tires and grill I'm after.

I appreciate everyone on the advice. As far as air suspension goes, I'll have to try one with and without. I do love the look this gives me, but maybe not worth the cash. I do know my truck would never really get off road, but we will see.

Since I'm not going hard core off roading, would 2 VS 2 wheel drive be a big factor? I think the most I would off road is a bit in the everglades but nothing like 8 inches of snow, etc.

Thanks again everyone!

19Jake

Reaction score
I'll make my Laramie look like a REBEL > with a grill swap
Requires Rebel specific bumper assembly + fender extension$/flare$ > then factor in matching the rear bumper/flare$ :rolleyes:
Ultimately, if ya want Rebels distinctive look...buy a chrome-free Rebel!
IMG_2606.JPG IMG_2731.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread