5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Potential Buyer Questions

highgear2005

Reaction score
Your only 20? My advice to you is simple! Save your money. Do you need a 40 k plus truck at this point in your life. Just save, buy something used and affordable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbjonesjr

Reaction score
I thought so lol.
It's a Bighorn Quad Cab, 4wd. Hemi Etorque with level 2 equipment group...8.4 inch unconnect, heated seats and steering wheel, etc. Cloth seats, power sliding rear window, power folding (heated) mirrors. Now the irony is....all these heated accessories and I'll never use them since I live in Las Vegas :ROFLMAO:
Nice! Sounds like you did get a great deal.
I'd say that's a pretty good deal too!
Yup - but unfortunately not the one I want :(

dbjonesjr

Reaction score
Your only 20? My advice to you is simple! Save your money. Do you need a 40 k plus truck at this point in your life. Just save, buy something used and affordable.

I don’t disagree - and I’ve looked at going that route. I just know I won’t be happy with whatever I get, and the prices on used trucks with not all that high miles really isn’t good at all right now.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Highgear 2005 has a good point. I don't know your financial status and don't want to.
I do recommend that you check out the above website for compound interest. It will show what a huge difference one year makes at your age down the road. A Roth IRA or some other investing format is a good start.
Plug in your payments into the calculator.
If your financial situation is capable of handling both at your age, congratulations and God bless you.

Crew vs quad from my personal experience:
I have a 2001 Dodge Ram SLT Quad Cab - back seat is limited and a lot of "stuff" HAS to go in the bed.

2019 Crew Cab - pretty much everything I do can go in the back seat with tools and 500-700 hundred dollar Costco food runs. I also have limited need for rear seat passenger use but on the few occasions I do use it the passengers are extremely happy (90 year old in laws love it) it is better than a limo back there. If you really need the extra length pick up a bed extender. I passed on the ram boxes as I would probably "fill" them up, back under seat storage works well for my "truck items" and you lose the diagonal length for some longer items.
It all comes down to your likes and needs vs wants, delayed gratification has it's benefits, particularly in a financially secure retirement.

Another factor to consider is insurance costs. Living in NYC is a killer for car insurance and deterred me from owning new vehicles with collision and fire/theft coverage in my earlier years (pre 30). My 22 year old son checked insurance rates via the internet last year for a 1985 Toyota Corolla and was $6,000 for his own liability insurance (new driver rates). The rate is cheaper off my policy but I accept liability also.

Last edited:

dbjonesjr

Reaction score
Highgear 2005 has a good point. I don't know your financial status and don't want to.
I do recommend that you check out the above website for compound interest. It will show what a huge difference one year makes at your age down the road. A Roth IRA or some other investing format is a good start.
Plug in your payments into the calculator.
If your financial situation is capable of handling both at your age, congratulations and God bless you.

Crew vs quad from my personal experience:
I have a 2001 Dodge Ram SLT Quad Cab - back seat is limited and a lot of "stuff" HAS to go in the bed.

2019 Crew Cab - pretty much everything I do can go in the back seat with tools and 500-700 hundred dollar Costco food runs. I also have limited need for rear seat passenger use but on the few occasions I do use it the passengers are extremely happy (90 year old in laws love it) it is better than a limo back there. If you really need the extra length pick up a bed extender. I passed on the ram boxes as I would probably "fill" them up, back under seat storage works well for my "truck items" and you lose the diagonal length for some longer items.
It all comes down to your likes and needs vs wants, delayed gratification has it's benefits, particularly in a financially secure retirement.

Another factor to consider is insurance costs. Living in NYC is a killer for car insurance and deterred me from owning new vehicles with collision and fire/theft coverage in my earlier years (pre 30). My 22 year old son checked insurance rates via the internet last year for a 1985 Toyota Corolla and was $6,000 for his own liability insurance (new driver rates). The rate is cheaper off my policy but I accept liability also.
Thank you! I agree - I actually do have a Roth IRA. Just in a very fortunate financial situation for someone my age. Guess that’s the doing co-ops while in school/living with parents. Great point on the ram boxes. It’s something I hadn’t considered and I think I won’t be getting those based on that alone. Insurance rates are okay. The last quote I got was an increase of -$70/6months over what I currently pay now.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thank you! I agree - I actually do have a Roth IRA. Just in a very fortunate financial situation for someone my age. Guess that’s the doing co-ops while in school/living with parents. Great point on the ram boxes. It’s something I hadn’t considered and I think I won’t be getting those based on that alone. Insurance rates are okay. The last quote I got was an increase of -$70/6months over what I currently pay now.
You are a smart man. I left out the part of living at home - it will never be better, nobody loves you like your mom, LOL. Did you start looking for housing?
I encouraged my sons to stay home and save, but at 29, 27 and 22 I am encouraging them to buy houses. Things have gone crazy in Staten Island with house prices and covid has caused people to leave multiple dwellings to individual housing units.

Anchor Down

Reaction score
If you want proximity entry you have to go Laramie and make sure you pay attention to the size of the gas tank.
No doubt, I was quite surprised where all my gas was going until I looked at the sticker. Get a bigger gas tank more than 26 gallons.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought so lol.
It's a Bighorn Quad Cab, 4wd. Hemi Etorque with level 2 equipment group...8.4 inch unconnect, heated seats and steering wheel, etc. Cloth seats, power sliding rear window, power folding (heated) mirrors. Now the irony is....all these heated accessories and I'll never use them since I live in Las Vegas :ROFLMAO:
You’ll rarely use them, but I’ve been in Vegas where I thought I was going to freeze.

Wsmith

Reaction score
If you go the bighorn route make sure to get the LED lighting package. 33 gallon tank is a must for me. If you use your bed a lot the MFT is a nice option.

Wch_chip

Reaction score
I didn't mention before but I think Ramboxes are a must, but you can get those on either a BigHorn or Laramie. I think the only options that aren't available on a BigHorn that are on a Laramie are: Proximity Entry, Ventilated Seats, Rear Heated and Reclining Seats, the 19 Speaker HK, Surround View Camera, Power Running Boards, and the "upgraded" center console in the rear.

EDIT: And leather....obvious but it wouldn't be a comprehensive list without mentioning.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice! Sounds like you did get a great deal.

Yup - but unfortunately not the one I want :(
That's a shame lol. I would've preferred a Rebel myself but I still definitely don't regret my purchase. Might end up adding the off road group package to my Bighorn.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You’ll rarely use them, but I’ve been in Vegas where I thought I was going to freeze.
Haha it can get cold here for sure...if anything...I'll be using them when we go to Mt. Charleston or Prescott mountains this winter.

dbjonesjr

Reaction score
Found what seems to be a good deal on a Big Horn demo with under 4000 miles. They're looking for 28% off MSRP and can still do 0% through FCA. Anyone have any thoughts? Doesn't have everything I want - but it's at a price I feel much more comfortable with.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Found what seems to be a good deal on a Big Horn demo with under 4000 miles. They're looking for 28% off MSRP and can still do 0% through FCA. Anyone have any thoughts? Doesn't have everything I want - but it's at a price I feel much more comfortable with.
Guess it depends on what features you're really wanting that it didn't have...

dbjonesjr

Reaction score
Guess it depends on what features you're really wanting that it didn't have...
Has my must haves. Level 2 package (only really wanted 1, but 2 sure is preferable), HEMI, wheel well liners, anti-spin dif. I prefer to have my bed lining done after purchase so that works out. Only real thing other I wanted was a brake controller.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has my must haves. Level 2 package (only really wanted 1, but 2 sure is preferable), HEMI, wheel well liners, anti-spin dif. I prefer to have my bed lining done after purchase so that works out. Only real thing other I wanted was a brake controller.
I was reading my manual earlier today..(trying to find out how to disable ESC for 4wd reasons) and it mentioned something about an electronic/auto assist in braking/trailer sway control feature that's standard on all of the RAM 1500s. Obviously not the same as an actual brake controller but it sounded interesting. I'd say this really depends on what you're going to be pulling though...

dbjonesjr

Reaction score
I was reading my manual earlier today..(trying to find out how to disable ESC for 4wd reasons) and it mentioned something about an electronic/auto assist in braking/trailer sway control feature that's standard on all of the RAM 1500s. Obviously not the same as an actual brake controller but it sounded interesting. I'd say this really depends on what you're going to be pulling though...
Interesting... Then it shouldn’t be an issue. It’s not all that difficult to add one anyways if I need. As of right now the only thing I plan on towing regularly is a bass boat. It has surge breaks though, so doesn’t really matter.

Rexx

Reaction score

I’d jump all over that deal if you can live without what the truck doesn’t have.

If the truck doesn’t have something you really want I’d pass because within a year or 2 you’ll just be looking to upgrade to a truck that has what you want. (Speaking from personal experience).

dbjonesjr

Reaction score
I’d jump all over that deal if you can live without what the truck doesn’t have.

If the truck doesn’t have something you really want I’d pass because within a year or 2 you’ll just be looking to upgrade to a truck that has what you want. (Speaking from personal experience).
All stuff I can live without. But unfortunately they can’t do the Chrysler offer since it was used as a loaner vehicle while cars were in the shop and not a demo? Not sure how all that works. Little confused because of what couple of people told me last night. Just gonna keep looking for now.

Users who are viewing this thread