5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Potential Buyer Questions

dbjonesjr

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm in the market for my first pickup. Based off of everything I've read I think I'll be going with a Ram if I can find the right deal. My father has had an '06 Cummins and a '16 Rebel Crew. He's now in a '20 Gladiator Rubicon. In general, I'm curious as to what all of you wished you had known prior to making your purchase decision. I'm looking at getting either a Big Horn or a Laramie in either quad or crew cab format. I'm currently in the Virginia Beach area but work out towards Franklin so please let me know if you are familiar with any dealers in the area. If you have any experience or advice to share, that would also be great as I'm only 20 and this is my first big vehicle purchase! :)

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm in the market for my first pickup. Based off of everything I've read I think I'll be going with a Ram if I can find the right deal. My father has had an '06 Cummins and a '16 Rebel Crew. He's now in a '20 Gladiator Rubicon. In general, I'm curious as to what all of you wished you had known prior to making your purchase decision. I'm looking at getting either a Big Horn or a Laramie in either quad or crew cab format. I'm currently in the Virginia Beach area but work out towards Franklin so please let me know if you are familiar with any dealers in the area. If you have any experience or advice to share, that would also be great as I'm only 20 and this is my first big vehicle purchase! :)
You could do worse. This is my first Ram and it's been a very good experience. The only thing I can complain about is the location of the oil filter and what a hassle it is to change out. Otherwise...no solid complaints.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum . Everything you mention is personal preference to what you want . The quad cabs are nice if you want the extra bed length without adding to the whole truck length . The crew cab is nice if you want the extra room for friends or family .

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I recommend the Laramie over the Big Horn. With the Laramie you'll get proximity entry, heated/cooled seats, LED lights, reclining back seat, Alpine stereo, and a couple other little things that you either can't get in a Big Horn or will pay a high price to get them. I see a lot of Big Horns that cost more than Laramie's without some of the package features that you get in a Laramie....that is why I bought a Laramie.
  1. The bigger 33 gallon gas tank would be nice; it wasn't on my list of "must haves" but it would be great for when I'm towing long distance.
  2. Axle ratio is a personal preference thing really; but go 3.92 if you intend to get big tires in the future.
  3. Anti-slip (or limited slip) is a must in my opinion; it will keep you from spinning tires on those wet Virginia Beach roads when you are accelerating from a stop or accelerating around a corner.
  4. Don't get the tow package unless you like those HUGE mirrors that you see on RAMS. You can get the brake controller separately (if you even need it). It can be added later at a relatively low cost.
  5. Rear Wheelhouse liners are worth the little bit of extra money they cost.
  6. The MOPAR slush (all weather) mats are built really well and have a nice fit.
  7. I have the 8.4 Radio no-nav and I like it. However, with the no-nav 8.4 you do not get HD radio and you cannot change the color/pattern of your displays. Plus you won't have Nav.
  8. The Bed Utility Group with the Spray In Liner and Pick-up Box lighting is a nice thing to have. You can add this stuff later as well; but its nice to get your truck with it already.
  9. When I bought my truck, the 20 x 9 premium wheels were $1295. They were already on the truck I wanted; but not worth it in my opinion. You can buy a set of those on here for $500 to $600 if you really like them. I would have preferred standard wheels personally. If I didn't pay $1295 for those premium wheels I would have already bought the aftermarket Fuel wheels that I really want.
  10. E-torque doesn't save that much in fuel. Some people love it; others hate it. I'm not a big fan of the start/stop or the regenerative braking; so it was a no for me. Others here will tell you how great theirs is.
  11. I have the leather trimmed bucket seats with the console. They are nice, but I would have preferred the bench seat. Nothing wrong with the buckets really; I just like the old school look and feel of the bench style.
Its a big price to pay for a 20 year old. But a few thousand dollars to get a few more useful options will pay off in the long run. I bought a new truck when I was 20 and opted for a V6 to save a few dollars; a year later I was kicking myself for not buying the V8.

dbjonesjr

Reaction score
You could do worse. This is my first Ram and it's been a very good experience. The only thing I can complain about is the location of the oil filter and what a hassle it is to change out. Otherwise...no solid complaints.
Thanks. I wanna say it was like that with the ‘16. Tried to change the oil once and decided that wasn’t happening again.
If you want proximity entry you have to go Laramie and make sure you pay attention to the size of the gas tank.
Thanks. Both things I want. I thought the Big Horn had it but in the Level 1 or 2 package?
Welcome to the forum . Everything you mention is personal preference to what you want . The quad cabs are nice if you want the extra bed length without adding to the whole truck length . The crew cab is nice if you want the extra room for friends or family .
Thanks. Good point. I’d probably get more use out of the longer bed than a crew right now. Family is nowhere in the near future and I don’t care about giving my friends X” more room for $XXXX more.
I recommend the Laramie over the Big Horn. With the Laramie you'll get proximity entry, heated/cooled seats, LED lights, reclining back seat, Alpine stereo, and a couple other little things that you either can't get in a Big Horn or will pay a high price to get them. I see a lot of Big Horns that cost more than Laramie's without some of the package features that you get in a Laramie....that is why I bought a Laramie.
  1. The bigger 33 gallon gas tank would be nice; it wasn't on my list of "must haves" but it would be great for when I'm towing long distance.
  2. Axle ratio is a personal preference thing really; but go 3.92 if you intend to get big tires in the future.
  3. Anti-slip (or limited slip) is a must in my opinion; it will keep you from spinning tires on those wet Virginia Beach roads when you are accelerating from a stop or accelerating around a corner.
  4. Don't get the tow package unless you like those HUGE mirrors that you see on RAMS. You can get the brake controller separately (if you even need it). It can be added later at a relatively low cost.
  5. Rear Wheelhouse liners are worth the little bit of extra money they cost.
  6. The MOPAR slush (all weather) mats are built really well and have a nice fit.
  7. I have the 8.4 Radio no-nav and I like it. However, with the no-nav 8.4 you do not get HD radio and you cannot change the color/pattern of your displays. Plus you won't have Nav.
  8. The Bed Utility Group with the Spray In Liner and Pick-up Box lighting is a nice thing to have. You can add this stuff later as well; but its nice to get your truck with it already.
  9. When I bought my truck, the 20 x 9 premium wheels were $1295. They were already on the truck I wanted; but not worth it in my opinion. You can buy a set of those on here for $500 to $600 if you really like them. I would have preferred standard wheels personally. If I didn't pay $1295 for those premium wheels I would have already bought the aftermarket Fuel wheels that I really want.
  10. E-torque doesn't save that much in fuel. Some people love it; others hate it. I'm not a big fan of the start/stop or the regenerative braking; so it was a no for me. Others here will tell you how great theirs is.
  11. I have the leather trimmed bucket seats with the console. They are nice, but I would have preferred the bench seat. Nothing wrong with the buckets really; I just like the old school look and feel of the bench style.
Its a big price to pay for a 20 year old. But a few thousand dollars to get a few more useful options will pay off in the long run. I bought a new truck when I was 20 and opted for a V6 to save a few dollars; a year later I was kicking myself for not buying the V8.
Thank you! This answers a lot of the questions I had in regards to my purchase. I found a ‘20 with 12K miles I like. Only issue with it is it has 3.21 gears. I’m not sure for what I’ll use it for that it matters all that much if I get this instead of the 3.92 gears. It’ll see a lot more highway than towing - and likely never big tires (lord I hope I don’t go down that path like I did with my Jeep). Would also prefer the bench and I’m sure my dog would too...

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
If you do plan to tow note that a optioned out Laramie doesn't have much payload left over. I ended up going with a low optioned quad cab Big Horn, and it is plenty of payload for Towing, given that it is a half ton. It's all in what you're looking for.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks. I wanna say it was like that with the ‘16. Tried to change the oil once and decided that wasn’t happening again.

Thanks. Both things I want. I thought the Big Horn had it but in the Level 1 or 2 package?

Thanks. Good point. I’d probably get more use out of the longer bed than a crew right now. Family is nowhere in the near future and I don’t care about giving my friends X” more room for $XXXX more.

Thank you! This answers a lot of the questions I had in regards to my purchase. I found a ‘20 with 12K miles I like. Only issue with it is it has 3.21 gears. I’m not sure for what I’ll use it for that it matters all that much if I get this instead of the 3.92 gears. It’ll see a lot more highway than towing - and likely never big tires (lord I hope I don’t go down that path like I did with my Jeep). Would also prefer the bench and I’m sure my dog would too...
I don't know if 3.21 is really an issue...you can still tow and do other things a 3.92 will. The towing capacity will be slight lower; but MPG will be a little better. If you are looking at used, you should download the original window sticker here: https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin= . Just add the VIN after the =. You can figure that the first owner probably got at least 15% to 20% off the MSRP when they bought it. I don't buy used often, so I'm not completely in touch with used pricing; but I would probably try to target a minimum of 28% off the original MSRP. Maybe someone who has more used experience can chime in.

dbjonesjr

Reaction score
I don't know if 3.21 is really an issue...you can still tow and do other things a 3.92 will. The towing capacity will be slight lower; but MPG will be a little better. If you are looking at used, you should download the original window sticker here: https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin= . Just add the VIN after the =. You can figure that the first owner probably got at least 15% to 20% off the MSRP when they bought it. I don't buy used often, so I'm not completely in touch with used pricing; but I would probably try to target a minimum of 28% off the original MSRP. Maybe someone who has more used experience can chime in.
Do you have any idea what I should expect OTD on a Laramie spec’d like yours? The quad cab I was speaking is listed at $39,600, and I figure a fair price is closer to $36,500. We’ll see if they’re willing to deal. If I can get near that list price on a new crew it obviously doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to get the used quad can in my opinion. From reading sounds like there’s a couple dealers around that can do 12-14% off MSRP. I assume this doesn’t include rebates.

Wch_chip

Reaction score

Nah, it's standard on Laramie, Longhorn, Limited and an option on Rebel (level 2).

dbjonesjr

Reaction score
If you do plan to tow note that a optioned out Laramie doesn't have much payload left over. I ended up going with a low optioned quad cab Big Horn, and it is plenty of payload for Towing, given that it is a half ton. It's all in what you're looking for.
I doubt I’ll tow much more than 4,500 lbs with it. I really like the Big Horn with Built to Serve package. Add the Level 2 and tow packs and it would have everything I want. But like others said, the Laramie MSRP ends up only being about $2,000 more.

dbjonesjr

Reaction score
Nah, it's standard on Laramie, Longhorn, Limited and an option on Rebel (level 2).
Ah okay! Glad I found that out now. Looking like I’m figuring out how to get the deal I need on a Laramie now... lol!

CJR28

Reaction score
I have a 20’ BTS with the bighorn level 2 package 8.4” Nav and Ramboxes. This is my second Ram, the first being a 17’ Express black package which was my first truck and a “test” truck(to see what i wanted in a future pickup). After my first truck I realized what i wanted in a pickup and when I saw my BTS I decided it had most of what i needed. The only thing I wish my BTS had was ventilated seats, proximity entry, 33 gallon tank, and lane assist but none of those things were total must have items. As nice as ventilated seats are, I dont see myself using them as much as the heated seats. The fuel tank would be nice but the 26 gallon does just fine. Lane assist, I just turn my head lol. Huge suggestion and recommendation, Ramboxes. I hesitated on getting a truck with them but i LOVE them, very useful.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have any idea what I should expect OTD on a Laramie spec’d like yours? The quad cab I was speaking is listed at $39,600, and I figure a fair price is closer to $36,500. We’ll see if they’re willing to deal. If I can get near that list price on a new crew it obviously doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to get the used quad can in my opinion. From reading sounds like there’s a couple dealers around that can do 12-14% off MSRP. I assume this doesn’t include rebates.
The used market is actually pretty hot right now due to lower production and less new purchases with COVID. There are guys getting as much or more for their used RAMS than what they paid for them a year or two ago. I just punched my VIN in CarFax and it is showing the retail value of $43,050; which is only $450 less than I paid for it two years ago. I got mine at 22% off MSRP; but that was a different time. I'd say if you can get 15% to 20% off new; then that may be worth considering. Shop around a little; unless you happen to see one that you MUST have. I'm not seeing a lot of great deals out there right now. There is so much price variation in these trucks because options really drive the price up; so just make sure that you get that window sticker so you have the original MSRP as a base to start with. $39,600 for a Laramie Quad 4x4 with 12k miles might not be bad in this market. For a reference point, I would not let go of my truck (private sale or trade) for less than $38,500 based upon the numbers I have seen on new and used trucks lately.

dbjonesjr

Reaction score
The used market is actually pretty hot right now due to lower production and less new purchases with COVID. There are guys getting as much or more for their used RAMS than what they paid for them a year or two ago. I just punched my VIN in CarFax and it is showing the retail value of $43,050; which is only $450 less than I paid for it two years ago. I got mine at 22% off MSRP; but that was a different time. I'd say if you can get 15% to 20% off new; then that may be worth considering. Shop around a little; unless you happen to see one that you MUST have. I'm not seeing a lot of great deals out there right now. There is so much price variation in these trucks because options really drive the price up; so just make sure that you get that window sticker so you have the original MSRP as a base to start with. $39,600 for a Laramie Quad 4x4 with 12k miles might not be bad in this market. For a reference point, I would not let go of my truck (private sale or trade) for less than $38,500 based upon the numbers I have seen on new and used trucks lately.
Would be sprinting to the dealer at 22% off! Thanks for the advice. Have a better idea what I should be looking for now.

dbjonesjr

Reaction score
Just for example...I got a CPO 2019 Ram Bighorn 4wd with 16k miles on it for $28k...just in reference to the used market comment lol.
Above question! The dealer in Franklin is willing to do $30K on a new ‘20 Big Horn 4x4 w/ 5.7. Obviously it doesn’t come with all the goodies though. Everything is base but the 5.7.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What options did you get? Sounds like a heck of a deal!(y)(y)
I thought so lol.
It's a Bighorn Quad Cab, 4wd. Hemi Etorque with level 2 equipment group...8.4 inch unconnect, heated seats and steering wheel, etc. Cloth seats, power sliding rear window, power folding (heated) mirrors. Now the irony is....all these heated accessories and I'll never use them since I live in Las Vegas :ROFLMAO:

Users who are viewing this thread