5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Post your Rebel pics!

CaliRebel

Reaction score
Did some more hauling last night. We think someone vandalized my brothers '79 Caprice. The brake line looked pinched like someone tried to cut it with dull wire cutters:mad:
My Rebel had no issues pulling this old gal back home though. :cool:
It looked like it was staring into my soul with the rear view mirror cam LOL
Screen Shot 2023-07-19 at 12.21.22 PM.png Screen Shot 2023-07-19 at 12.22.08 PM.png

Vulpes

Reaction score
Hey. My stomping grounds. Sweet ride my friend.
It was our first time out to Alabama Hills and Eastern Sierras. Really gorgeous and interesting areas. When do the Hills cool down typically? It was hot enough last week, that I ended up carrying one of our dogs on the quick arch hike...

Vulpes

Reaction score
Did some more hauling last night. We think someone vandalized my brothers '79 Caprice. The brake line looked pinched like someone tried to cut it with dull wire cutters:mad:
View attachment 163297 View attachment 163298
That pic in the rearview, is like an 80's horror movie. Ahhhh run, it's getting closer!

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It was our first time out to Alabama Hills and Eastern Sierras. Really gorgeous and interesting areas. When do the Hills cool down typically? It was hot enough last week, that I ended up carrying one of our dogs on the quick arch hike...
Not til late September. Continue up 395 up Sherwin Summit around Tom's place. 20 degrees cooler. Owens Valley is hot. But like Palm Springs in winter.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Man I have to say the whole black and white combo is killer. And white letters on the tires set it off! Good looking rig brotha

mynameisante

Reaction score
I love Caprices. My old man had a 1982 Caprice Classic. Thing caught on fire on the freeway in 2001 lol

Vulpes

Reaction score
Not til late September. Continue up 395 up Sherwin Summit around Tom's place. 20 degrees cooler. Owens Valley is hot. But like Palm Springs in winter.
We spent a part of the day in the Hills, and then headed up to Deadman's Creek (Named for an actual grim event) for camping, it was much cooler, 45 deg F at night. Looking forward to heading back to the Hills though, once it cools off. Will definitely try it again in September.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We spent a part of the day in the Hills, and then headed up to Deadman's Creek (Named for an actual grim event) for camping, it was much cooler, 45 deg F at night. Looking forward to heading back to the Hills though, once it cools off. Will definitely try it again in September.
Yep. Mammoth is my playground. I fly fish so Hot Creek is my favorite.
HC.jpg

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's really beautiful out there. Looking forward to cooler weather though. Recommend any areas/trails?
like H2OMAN said, hot creek. Also Benton Crossing area near the hot creek and all the natural hot springs have some great camping spots. Just need to pay attention to private property boundary because there is a private grazing land real close.
I'm also interested in White Mountain/ Ancient Bristlecone Forest area too but this year is just too snowed in/ damaged for visiting.
Coyote Flat/ Funnel Lake was beautiful and quite technical by my standard (I'm not a big fan of off camber and steep hills). Steep shelf roads with a lot of off camber turns are primary concerns. That puts you near 10k elevation but it's really nice. If you can get there early and secure a spot next to Funnel Lake then that'd be awesome.

Cerro Gordo area is good too and there are some trails after the ghost town that takes you down to one of those old tram stations. BUT to get there you have to go through some really narrow shelf road that's too narrow for us. When I went in my 4Runner my outside tires were just an in or two away from the edge and my friend who took his GX460 with 35s was basically riding the edge.

To the south there's Indian Wells (we drove on top of Los Angeles Aqueduct) and plenty of OHV trails with campgrounds. There's also desert playgrounds like Jawbone, Red Rock, and Dove Spring. There's also trails that take you from Jawbone and drop you right by Lake Isabella too. There's also Monache Meadows and Kennedy Meadows. You take the Pearsonville exit off and head into the Sierras, and you literally go from desert landscape to pine trees in just one corner. Monache was not difficult aside from the "gatekeeper," a rocky short hill that can get technical when wet, and features a few river crossings. I will be there this weekend, but I've seen videos of the trail after they opened it 2 weeks ago and the trail got rougher and river got deeper due to wet winter. Guess we'll see how that goes.

Overall that entire region is awesome.

TSL

Reaction score
Headed to South East Oregon ( Steens Mountain area ) on a camping trip with my daughter who's 14 and very much into horses < sigh ! >
We went looking for the wild horses that roam that area and found plenty of them, including the Kiger Mustangs which are not always so easy to track down.
I built a slide out kitchen unit for the truck this spring and it's been great. Along with the RTT we can do dispersed camping with ease.
The kitchen unit is heavy for sure, but it's functional. It got a good "shake-out" on this trip, we spent a good many hours on bumpy side trails looking for horses.
I'm glad to report we did _not_ come home with one :) , although we did stop in at the BLM Wild Horse Corrals in Burns where there's a self guided auto tour you can do around the corrals and view the horses. They have a LOT of horses there ! They do have an adoption program, but gentling and breaking a wild horse is not a job for amateurs !

Attachments

• KigerMustang1.jpg
    KigerMustang1.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 55
  • SouthSteens1.jpg
    SouthSteens1.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 55
  • SouthSteens2.jpg
    SouthSteens2.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 54

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Headed to South East Oregon ( Steens Mountain area ) on a camping trip with my daughter who's 14 and very much into horses < sigh ! >
We went looking for the wild horses that roam that area and found plenty of them, including the Kiger Mustangs which are not always so easy to track down.
I built a slide out kitchen unit for the truck this spring and it's been great. Along with the RTT we can do dispersed camping with ease.
The kitchen unit is heavy for sure, but it's functional. It got a good "shake-out" on this trip, we spent a good many hours on bumpy side trails looking for horses.
I'm glad to report we did _not_ come home with one :) , although we did stop in at the BLM Wild Horse Corrals in Burns where there's a self guided auto tour you can do around the corrals and view the horses. They have a LOT of horses there ! They do have an adoption program, but gentling and breaking a wild horse is not a job for amateurs !
if you're up for it i heard there are lots of horses on Pony Express too.

TSL

Reaction score
if you're up for it i heard there are lots of horses on Pony Express too.
Well, there ought to be horses on a Pony Express I think :) ( sorry, couldn't resist ! ) I assumed you were talking about an overland route so I had to look it up - that looks a fantastic drive, but I don't think I'm up for it yet, still a novice off road driver. In fact, at Overland Expo PNW this year I signed up for an offroad driving course, which was eye-opening, sphincter-clenching, and amazing :) I had a professional driving instructor sitting next to me and they took me up and down inclines, around off-camber turns, over log obstacles, through deep ruts and pits and over rocks and bumps that I would have never dared to try ! On one of the turns with a noticeable off-camber element to it, I was gravitating towards the "safer" side of the turn and the instructor said "keep over this way", and I was like "noooooo!" At another point he had me stop on top of a steep incline and asked me which way did I think my steering wheel was pointed - so I clicked on the off road pages on the truck and said "eh,looks like 8 degrees". And he goes " turn that thing off ! What are you going to do when that breaks?"
Anyways, it was a great course, and I already put what I learned into practice on the recent trip in SE Oregon. I drove over some stuff that I would probably have balked at previously.
But I think I need more experience and a buddy in another vehicle before tackling something like Pony Express.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you take the PE do it early in the season. It goes through an ancient sea bed. The dust is a very fine choking powder that fouls everything. The later you go the more vehicle have gone through it and churned it up. It gets into everything.

Users who are viewing this thread