5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Post your Rebel pics!

nainey_09

Reaction score
Shes slowly coming together!
ed329096054a1d57c53ca57b2a18c824.jpg

5b8b5682ea88615598bcb51301dc6c65.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TSL

Reaction score
Shes slowly coming together!
ed329096054a1d57c53ca57b2a18c824.jpg

SmartCap topper looks good on the Rebel. Some toppers tend to make the truck look more like a van or big SUV but Smartcap's one lets the truck still look like a truck I think !
Been reading reviews on them and some folks say they can leak. Have you had it long enough to have an opinion on that yet ? I'm in the Pacific NW so rain is a thing I need to consider :)

nainey_09

Reaction score
SmartCap topper looks good on the Rebel. Some toppers tend to make the truck look more like a van or big SUV but Smartcap's one lets the truck still look like a truck I think !
Been reading reviews on them and some folks say they can leak. Have you had it long enough to have an opinion on that yet ? I'm in the Pacific NW so rain is a thing I need to consider :)

I agree, i was debating either getting a rack or a truck cap but im glad i went with the smartcap. It looks way better in person too.

I literally just got the cap put on today but theres a thread on here about the rsi smart caps. I havent seen anything on there about them leaking unless they have been installed wrong. Try asking the guys on that thread tho.

TSL

Reaction score
I agree, i was debating either getting a rack or a truck cap but im glad i went with the smartcap. It looks way better in person too.

I literally just got the cap put on today but theres a thread on here about the rsi smart caps. I havent seen anything on there about them leaking unless they have been installed wrong. Try asking the guys on that thread tho.

I found that thread ( thanks for the tip ) and read through it. Coupled with what I've read elsewhere it does seem that installation problems are probably the root cause of leaks. I'm fixin' to get a roof top tent and been considering either a rack - I like xtrusion-overland ( Aluminum Extrusion Modular Cargo Bed Racks ) and a tonneau cover - or maybe this cap. Depending on the tent I get I could have a rack such that it sits below the cab when closed ( more aerodynamic obviously ), but then bed access is going to be pretty cramped I think.
Would a tent mounted on the smartcap clear the shark-fin antenna on the roof ? Assuming the tent was long enough to come over the cab a bit. 23Zero's Kabari tent is 90" long when closed for example and on the Rebel shortbed truck it's would have to come over the cab. I guess it depends on what rails are mounted on top of the cap.

nainey_09

Reaction score
I found that thread ( thanks for the tip ) and read through it. Coupled with what I've read elsewhere it does seem that installation problems are probably the root cause of leaks. I'm fixin' to get a roof top tent and been considering either a rack - I like xtrusion-overland ( Aluminum Extrusion Modular Cargo Bed Racks ) and a tonneau cover - or maybe this cap. Depending on the tent I get I could have a rack such that it sits below the cab when closed ( more aerodynamic obviously ), but then bed access is going to be pretty cramped I think.
Would a tent mounted on the smartcap clear the shark-fin antenna on the roof ? Assuming the tent was long enough to come over the cab a bit. 23Zero's Kabari tent is 90" long when closed for example and on the Rebel shortbed truck it's would have to come over the cab. I guess it depends on what rails are mounted on top of the cap.

Yeah, i had the same debate but decided that the cap would give me way more room and access to the bed once i have a drawer system installed.

I am also looking at a longer wedge style tent that will hang over the cab. Ive seen other forums where they talk about clearing the cab with a smart cap. Im planning on getting low profile crossbars and mounting them to the smart cap rails. Crossbars that are 1.5-2” tall should make the tent clear the sharkfin. I will need to take some measurements to be sure tho.

TSL

Reaction score
The Rebel got to do some truck stuff today. 10 x 100lb bales of orchard grass for the sheep. ( We buy weaned lambs in the spring and raise them through the fall for the freezer ).
It didn't really feel like the truck noticed the weight very much. My payload sticker on this truck is 1394 lbs.
If i finish up putting a SmartCap on the truck it will complicate projects like this a bit , unless I figure out a smooth way to remove the cap when I need to haul hay ( which only happens once per year usually )

Attachments

• HayPic2.jpg
    HayPic2.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 99
  • HayPic1.jpg
    HayPic1.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 99

Downmented

Reaction score
Got my motofab 2.5" leveling kit on with a set of 18x9 -12 Rebels wrapped in 35x12.5 General Grabbers, couldn't be happier with how it turned out. I read a lot of folks saying the stock UCAs would be fine with a 2.5" leveling kit, however I am fairly certain I will need to replace them soon just from how extreme that angle is at the ball joint. Personally I am not a fan of the Icon UCAs, open to suggestions on other options?
1661771331150.png

2019Raven

Reaction score
Took her hunting this weekend. Now she needs a bath.

Attachments

• 0E5977C3-85E5-426D-B2D1-CC22C22FECAB.jpeg
    0E5977C3-85E5-426D-B2D1-CC22C22FECAB.jpeg
    352.6 KB · Views: 89
  • FF9010BB-A920-45FE-89CB-085486382865.jpeg
    FF9010BB-A920-45FE-89CB-085486382865.jpeg
    321.3 KB · Views: 89

Users who are viewing this thread