5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Post your engine parameters while driving

Celtic Sun

Reaction score
Just curious as to what everyone else's coolant temp, oil temp and trans temps are reading on their 5.7 V8.
The reason I am asking is, yesterday I drive my Laramie to the store. When I pulled into the parking lot and got out I noticed a splashing sound. I walked around to the front of the truck and saw pink liquid splashing down from under the right side of the bumper. I popped the hood and noticed the coolant resevoir's cap was slightly ****ed off. I dipped my finger into the fluid that had spilled and it had a sweet smell to it and was slightly sticky... definitely coolant. I drive the truck home while monitoring all the temperatures. Nothing got close to the halfway point of any temp Gage. I took the truck to the dealer today and told them what happened. They did a seventeen point inspection and checked for leaks. Everything came back satisfactory. I guess maybe it was the reservoir cap being slightly off.... hopefully.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, pressurized systems don't work well when they're unable to pressurize. Good catch on the reservoir cap. My engine temp never makes it to halfway.

Celtic Sun

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Today, as I pulled into the dealer, with outside temperatures at 65 degrees Fahrenheit, my gages read:

Engine coolant: 212 degrees
Trans temp: 179 degrees
Oil temp: 213 degrees

Guess that's pretty normal then.

John813

Reaction score
Coolant Temp: 206
Trans Temp: 186
Oil Temp: 221
Oil Pressure: 52

Highway driving at 80mph for up to 30-40 minutes.

Ksilva211

Reaction score
As soon as I stop my coolant temps climb up to around 225 sometimes. Not sure if this is normal

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's normal. Coolant flow is reduced at idle and there's less airflow through the radiator. If the truck needs any more cooling, the fan will remove the heat.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rolled to a stop and recorded:
Coolant 199
Tranny 185
Oil 210
Oil press 34 psi
Outside air 52

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting thread, I'll have to check mine while driving. Is there a minimum temp you let your oil get to before driving? Or does that not really matter? I noticed my oil temp was 32 when I started it the other day.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just drive it. It'll warm up on its own.

When I remote start my truck, it's more for my comfort and having the windshield clear than anything mechanical.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Coolant- 205º
Trans- 186º
Oil- 206º
Oil pressure- 49 psi (cruising speed)

30º ambient temp

Users who are viewing this thread