5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Post your Crew Cab 6’4 bed. (Official Longbed Thread)

Pikeman_66

Reaction score

Threesuns1

Reaction score
@JF19Longhorn @Threesuns1 Either of you (or anyone else) mind helping me out with the above measurements? I'm basically looking for the width from inside rail to inside rail, in two places: near the bulk head (orange line) and near the tailgate (blue line).
Between the cap overlapping the inside of bed side and the toolbox it difficult to get an accurate measurement for the front. I did have 61 7/8" the in the rear, with the toolbox I had to measure behind the box about 16 inches from the front of the bed and got 62". If I remember I'll measure my sons 2020.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Between the cap overlapping the inside of bed side and the toolbox it difficult to get an accurate measurement for the front. I did have 61 7/8" the in the rear, with the toolbox I had to measure behind the box about 16 inches from the front of the bed and got 62". If I remember I'll measure my sons 2020.
With only 1/8" difference, that suggests no taper.
It's possible XO simply cut the crossbars the wrong length.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks! I guess you’re in the same boat I am: the cover interferes with the measurement. The main thing I’m looking for is to see if there’s a difference between the bulkhead and tailgate measurement; the difference is what matters more than the precision of the measurement.

The reason I want to know is when I ordered my bedrack from Xtrusion Overland, they asked if my bed is straight (bed width same at bulkhead and tailgate) or tapered (bed narrower at tailgate). The bars are custom cut to fit a particular truck model, year, and bed size, rather than being an adjustable, one-size-fits-all design. The picture below may help picture this.

I answered straight, knowing that the 5’7” bed is straight, and that the Classic/4th Gen is tapered. I assumed, as perhaps incorrectly, that the 6’4” bed on the 5th Gen is also straight.

But a few things led me to question that assumption. First, when the rack is fully loaded with rooftop tent and other gear, the tailgate can sometimes not latch properly. This is especially true of my wife and dogs are in the tent.

Then, I removed the rack recently, and it kind of popped out of the brackets that hold it to my Retrax cover.

So I think my bed rack may be an inch or two too wide. Thus, it may have been pushing the bed sides out a bit, especially at the tailgate. Had I specified tapered bed, I would have gotten shorter crossbars that properly fit my bed.

This, aside from the cover, is why I didn’t simply take the measurement myself: my bed may have been forced wider at the tailgate that it would normally be. So my measurement would be wider than what it should be.

No big deal; I just need to disassemble the rack, cut the aluminum crossbars (easy to do with a metal cutting blade on a miter or chip saw), retap the bolt holes, and reassemble. (And maybe, if necessary, use a ratchet strap to bring the bed back into alignment at the tailgate end; I’m probably making this sound worse than it is).

But I first want to confirm the bed is indeed tapered, and by how much. That’ll give me a guide as to how much to trim the crossbars.

I may try to find a 6’4” bed on a dealer lot nearby (probably easier to find a quad cab) and take the measurements myself.

View attachment 179569
In case anyone is curious, I think I figured out the issue.

First, the left and right rails on my Retrax XR cover weren’t perfectly parallel. There was almost a half in difference in width between the rails at the front of the bed vs the back. This isn’t because of a taper, but because I wasn’t careful enough when I installed it years ago.

Because the “feet” for the bed rack fit into the Retrax XR cover’s t-slots, having the rails uneven would throw off the rack fit.

I removed the rack, aligned the Retrax rails properly, and re-installed the rack. So far, so good. I haven’t put my tent back in yet, but I did sit on the rail closest to the tailgate, and had my wife open and close the tailgate without any issue. Hopefully this did the trick.

So it looks like the answer to my original question is no, the 6’4” bed is not tapered.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks! I guess you’re in the same boat I am: the cover interferes with the measurement. The main thing I’m looking for is to see if there’s a difference between the bulkhead and tailgate measurement; the difference is what matters more than the precision of the measurement.

The reason I want to know is when I ordered my bedrack from Xtrusion Overland, they asked if my bed is straight (bed width same at bulkhead and tailgate) or tapered (bed narrower at tailgate). The bars are custom cut to fit a particular truck model, year, and bed size, rather than being an adjustable, one-size-fits-all design. The picture below may help picture this.

I answered straight, knowing that the 5’7” bed is straight, and that the Classic/4th Gen is tapered. I assumed, as perhaps incorrectly, that the 6’4” bed on the 5th Gen is also straight.

But a few things led me to question that assumption. First, when the rack is fully loaded with rooftop tent and other gear, the tailgate can sometimes not latch properly. This is especially true of my wife and dogs are in the tent.

Then, I removed the rack recently, and it kind of popped out of the brackets that hold it to my Retrax cover.

So I think my bed rack may be an inch or two too wide. Thus, it may have been pushing the bed sides out a bit, especially at the tailgate. Had I specified tapered bed, I would have gotten shorter crossbars that properly fit my bed.

This, aside from the cover, is why I didn’t simply take the measurement myself: my bed may have been forced wider at the tailgate that it would normally be. So my measurement would be wider than what it should be.

No big deal; I just need to disassemble the rack, cut the aluminum crossbars (easy to do with a metal cutting blade on a miter or chip saw), retap the bolt holes, and reassemble. (And maybe, if necessary, use a ratchet strap to bring the bed back into alignment at the tailgate end; I’m probably making this sound worse than it is).

But I first want to confirm the bed is indeed tapered, and by how much. That’ll give me a guide as to how much to trim the crossbars.

I may try to find a 6’4” bed on a dealer lot nearby (probably easier to find a quad cab) and take the measurements myself.

View attachment 179569
Sorry I wasn't as clear. The 61 7/8 was for both the front and back on mine., so no taper or very little.

Users who are viewing this thread