5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possibly looking into buying a Ram

Adams2123

Reaction score
So I'm currently trying to have GM buy back my '19 Silverado as a lemon because it's been at the dealership for a total of 60+ days since I bought it 11 months ago. Are there any major issues with the 20 Rams? Such as on the Silverados the back windows leak, iffy 8 speeds, etc...?

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine's been great (2019). A couple of recalls, don't recall what they were. Have had some people complain of cracked rear window surround which allows leaks, leak at driver's foot at seam under fender, AC not as cold as they would like, road noise from back. Those are the major things I can remember. I've had none of them except a little road noise but I only notice it when the seats are up (which is virtually all the time) and it doesn't bother me because it's a truck.

Scjon03

Reaction score
I had a 19’ Laramie and no seriously issues. Only major issue was the back window frame cracking. Got it replace under warranty. I traded in the truck and got a Limited EcoDiesel. No issues at all. But only have 1k miles on it.

ktl5005

Reaction score
I got a 2019 Limited CPO and it had 15k miles on it. Few recalls were completed by previous owner but so far none of the leak/window crack they seems to be a big issue for some

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a 2019 RAM Rebel with a build date of 1/1/2019. I bought it new on July 2019. So far it's been flawless and honestly the best truck I've ever owned by a long shot. I traded in my 2015 F150, great truck, no complaints, but this RAM is on another level.

No issues with water leaks, shifting is buttery smooth, A/C works great, etc. Knock on wood of course :)

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're on a truck forum, you're going to see complaints. jdmartin listed most of the major ones people have, and then also add eTorque battery problems from others.

orange01z28

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Rebel QC 4x4 and we're seriously thinking of getting rid of my wife's Explorer and replacing it with a CC Big Horn 2WD

I like my truck enough I'll buy a 2nd one

Adams2123

Reaction score
You're on a truck forum, you're going to see complaints. jdmartin listed most of the major ones people have, and then also add eTorque battery problems from others.
That's the reason I came here... was to see what the major complaints were... hence why I asked what the issues were.

Adams2123

Reaction score
Mine's been great (2019). A couple of recalls, don't recall what they were. Have had some people complain of cracked rear window surround which allows leaks, leak at driver's foot at seam under fender, AC not as cold as they would like, road noise from back. Those are the major things I can remember. I've had none of them except a little road noise but I only notice it when the seats are up (which is virtually all the time) and it doesn't bother me because it's a truck.
Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for. I know there's going to be issues. Same thing I had with the Chevy. The ram has a much nicer interior is one of the major selling points.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Remember this when looking for a truck.

A new truck could (and will) spend time being repaired.

Some one can buy a truck with 115k and drive it another 115k and sell it to someone else who puts 5 miles on it and it breaks down.

These are your 2 most likely users of a forum.

The guy with the new truck that does everything he tries and the guy who has the trouble free used truck will rarely show up on a forum to talk about their trucks.

The guy who goes to fold his tow mirrors and they don't...we had alot of that type for awhile. RAM was terrible. But, yet there is another guy happy as a lark with powerfolding regular mirrors and he has never once power folded his mirrors.

When you come to a forum...issues are daunting sometimes.

The best you can do is be honest with what you want.

Research facts about the trim you want and the options you want.

Be realistic of the expectations of your truck. Remember there is a reason for Hemi and v6 or lockers and open diffs and 2500 and 3500 trucks.

And then look at the issue with an open mind.

The major ones are listed by @jdmartin

Check your truck over and pay attention...but do not be driven by them.

This forum has a great membership that have the largest single knowledge group on the internet.

You picked the right place to ask and you will get good answers.

Adams2123

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. The main reason I'm looking at probably leaving Chevy is the poor customer service. It's been at the dealership for 60 days total now mainly due to dealership incompetence. When I called GM about it, they basically told me tough crap, the dealership can do what they want. We'll see what the next few weeks hold as I'll either get it bought back or head to arbitration.

bryan28

Reaction score
I traded a 2019 Silverado I had for 11 months on my 2020 Ram 1500. The Silverado 8 speed in the truck I had sucked compared to the Rams and the 5.3 can't hold a candle to the 5.7. In addition, the Chevy cabin felt really cramped and the Ram interior and ride quality seem superior IMO. Plus, I like the Uconnect over the system the Chevy used.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. The main reason I'm looking at probably leaving Chevy is the poor customer service. It's been at the dealership for 60 days total now mainly due to dealership incompetence. When I called GM about it, they basically told me tough crap, the dealership can do what they want. We'll see what the next few weeks hold as I'll either get it bought back or head to arbitration.

Well, I won't sugar coat it, Chevy for 2019 has a 3rd place dealership customer service rating in a recent national survey, higher than even Toyota or Lexus for exmple. RAM is near last, along with the rest of FCA, only Land Rover is lower. So I don't know if you will get better service, likely the opposite. Though each dealer is different. Maybe another Chevy dealer?

Are you experiencing the rear window leak that seems to be even a bigger issue with the Siverados? Apparently the same vendors supply RAM as well for rear windows. Though the forum complaints for the Silverado leak appear higher than the RAMs, it's not an issue that has disappeared on RAM either.

Last edited:

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I traded a 2019 Silverado I had for 11 months on my 2020 Ram 1500. The Silverado 8 speed in the truck I had sucked compared to the Rams and the 5.3 can't hold a candle to the 5.7. In addition, the Chevy cabin felt really cramped and the Ram interior and ride quality seem superior IMO. Plus, I like the Uconnect over the system the Chevy used.
Before I was a "Nissan" man, I was a Chevy man and always had Chevy/GM trucks. In 1994 or 1995 I bought a brand new S-10 5-speed manual. After about 5k miles or so I started getting gear grind when going from reverse to first, as if the transmission didn't have any synchros. I brought it back to Chevy and they looked at it and said "clutch wind down time, normal condition" and gave me a copy of a TSB that said you had to wait 15 seconds before going from forward to reverse gear or vice-versa. I thought that was hokey but tried it and it seemed to work - but by the time I was up to 40k miles it was 30-45 seconds before you could change gears. I brought it back to GM twice during that time as it was getting worse and got the same answer, no repair going to be made. I finally got fed up with it and traded it on a new Nissan hardbody 4WD that was on sale for $13k at a local dealer. Never had a lick of trouble with the hardbody, so then moved into a Frontier in 98, and then a Titan in 2004. Probably would still be driving the Titans if they hadn't gone to that god-awful body style and the local dealership not willing to ever make a deal. But I'm real happy with the Ram so far - my dealership has been pretty good, nothing for me to complain about so far, but I haven't had any problems/issues either. They even let the PDR guy come and take a ding out of the rear door that I put there tossing something into the dumpster, right there in their covered staging area.

I think it mostly depends on the dealership and how often and the nature of the vehicle having to go back. If you never go back to the dealer, it will probably always have good marks. Unfortunately a lot of Chrysler stuff has been low quality/reliability for a long time, and so a lot of cars come back to the dealer and problems don't always get solved. I can't think of any other Chrysler product I would ever buy new, but overall I suspect they put some effort into making Ram a decent vehicle because they're always on the bubble against F-150 and Silverado anyway.

Adams2123

Reaction score
Well, I won't sugar coat it, Chevy for 2019 has a 3rd place dealership customer service rating in a recent national survey, higher than even Toyota or Lexus for exmple. RAM is near last, along with the rest of FCA, only Land Rover is lower. So I don't know if you will get better service, likely the opposite. Though each dealer is different. Maybe another Chevy dealer?

Are you experiencing the rear window leak that seems to be even a bigger issue with the Siverados? Apparently the same vendors supply RAM as well for rear windows. Though the forum complaints for the Silverado leak appear higher than the RAMs, it's not an issue that has disappeared on RAM either.
As a matter of fact, it's currently in the shop for a headliner replacement due to the leak. I just had the rear window replaced due to it leaking for the second time.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
As a matter of fact, it's currently in the shop for a headliner replacement due to the leak. I just had the rear window replaced due to it leaking for the second time.

Gotcha, that sucks. Though I've head of a some RAM guys needing a fix more than once. Was it the seal or the frame either time?

COSPILOT

Reaction score
I would argue that dealership experience is most important. Without going into every single detail, I’ve purchased 15 vehicles both new and used from a certain dealership group. I’m loyal to them and they are loyal to me. I’m sure I get special treatment once in a while, but they do well as far as I’m concerned. That said this group doesn’t sell Chrysler, GM, or Ford. They are focused on Land Rover/Jaguar/Infiniti/Cadillac. I separate Cadillac from other GM lines for a reason even if most of of the products are identical to other GM products.

Ram vs Ford vs GM? This is specific to trucks, so here is my two cents and background matters a little:

I’ve had everything in our fleet for over 40 years and started with GM, then switched to Ford. Dodge always seemed behind in the 80’s and 90’s...

Now currently I think the Ram is by far the superior truck on the market. I’m not the fanboy of the Hemi that most are and engine alone I think the Ford Ecoboost is better in both fuel economy and power. I still hate GM and think they are far behind at the moment.

So I have some issues already mentioned, but I’m happy and would buy again. The Ram May be typical Chrysler cheap in some areas, but overall it’s superior to the others. It’s a luxury vehicle that happens to be a truck, and that’s perfect for me.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I would argue that dealership experience is most important. Without going into every single detail, I’ve purchased 15 vehicles both new and used from a certain dealership group. I’m loyal to them and they are loyal to me. I’m sure I get special treatment once in a while, but they do well as far as I’m concerned. That said this group doesn’t sell Chrysler, GM, or Ford. They are focused on Land Rover/Jaguar/Infiniti/Cadillac. I separate Cadillac from other GM lines for a reason even if most of of the products are identical to other GM products.

Ram vs Ford vs GM? This is specific to trucks, so here is my two cents and background matters a little:

I’ve had everything in our fleet for over 40 years and started with GM, then switched to Ford. Dodge always seemed behind in the 80’s and 90’s...

Now currently I think the Ram is by far the superior truck on the market. I’m not the fanboy of the Hemi that most are and engine alone I think the Ford Ecoboost is better in both fuel economy and power. I still hate GM and think they are far behind at the moment.

So I have some issues already mentioned, but I’m happy and would buy again. The Ram May be typical Chrysler cheap in some areas, but overall it’s superior to the others. It’s a luxury vehicle that happens to be a truck, and that’s perfect for me.

I absolutely agree on the performance of the Ecoboost, my 2015 2.7L was honestly faster and more fuel efficient than my Hemi, loved that motor in every way except for the sound. It sounded like an Accord and lacked a bit of charisma.

The Hemi (or any V8) just adds that something I really missed with my F150. It's fast enough, but the sound with an aftermarket muffler just adds a "sense of occasion" when you drive it. Like an old school muscle car.

However, I do miss that sport button on the F150 and the 18 mpg mixed on regular fuel. I'm getting 13 mpg mixed on 89 octane in the Rebel, but don't regret it.

COSPILOT

Reaction score
Yep the Hemi sounds better and I’ve had the pleasure of scaring the you know what out of my wife with some time in a Hellcat, but as she reminded me I’m not 18 anymore, I’m 48. I may be an average Joe scraping by, especially now with Covid, but it’s fun to have friends with fancy cars that trust me to drive them. Hellcat was awesome! Actually it was modified and more demon territory..

Users who are viewing this thread