5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible to add connectivity without Nav?

bpier962

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie. It has the Uconnect 8.4 without Nav. I don’t really want the Nav but would like the connectivity option so I can remote start it. Is this a possibility? Any help would be appreciated.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie. It has the Uconnect 8.4 without Nav. I don’t really want the Nav but would like the connectivity option so I can remote start it. Is this a possibility? Any help would be appreciated.
Not possible as the standard 8.4 does not have a modem. You have to upgrade the 8.4 to 8.4C Nav to have connectivity which also happens to include Nav. This isn’t a cheap upgrade.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not possible as the standard 8.4 does not have a modem. You have to upgrade the 8.4 to 8.4C Nav to have connectivity which also happens to include Nav. This isn’t a cheap upgrade.
And even then, you still can’t subscribe to guardian to get the remote start app.

jgouldski

Reaction score
And even then, you still can’t subscribe to guardian to get the remote start app.
Why is this? Trucks that don't come with nav and therefore the connectivity from the factory can never get guardian even if they're added later?

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Last edited:

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Why is this? Trucks that don't come with nav and therefore the connectivity from the factory can never get guardian even if they're added later?
Sirius guardian can only activate the service on a VIN that is built with a connected radio. Even though you swap in a radio that has the connected capability, the radio pulls the BCM configuration, and takes on the VIN of the vehicle it is transplanted into, and Sirius will say it’s an incompatible vehicle.

TravisH

Reaction score
Look into an aftermarket solution such as Drone Mobile. Fairly inexpensive and a remote start subscription costs $60/year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Conch007

Reaction score
Sirius guardian can only activate the service on a VIN that is built with a connected radio. Even though you swap in a radio that has the connected capability, the radio pulls the BCM configuration, and takes on the VIN of the vehicle it is transplanted into, and Sirius will say it’s an incompatible vehicle.
so is it possible to switch out the Bcm in your new truck to one that is supposed to be compatible with connected car?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
so is it possible to switch out the Bcm in your new truck to one that is supposed to be compatible with connected car?
No, because the BCM is going to take on the VIN of the PCM and RF Hub. The only way I can see possible is to find a wrecked truck that came factory equipped with an 8.4 nav or 12” radio, and get the PCM, BCM, RF Hub, and the fobs from that truck. Swap them into your truck, And the radio would now assume the VIN of a factory “connected” vehicle. Then you would have to somehow claim ownership of that VIN to be able to sign up for Sirius guardian.

Users who are viewing this thread