5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor quality on Back-Up Camera on 2022 Tradesmen

deadmaulwalking

Reaction score
My work just got two 2022 3500 Tradesmen equipped with the same 8.4" UConnect radio. They were cab and chassis that got fitted with tool boxes if that matters.

Anyway, the backup camera on both trucks really suck. Lo-res image and picture is blown out. Part of it might be the white bumper (going to try some tread tape on the bumper under the camera and see if that helps), but that doesn't explain the poor resolution. I checked another coworkers 2021 RAM 3500 Big Horn and the quality is a lot closer to what I expected.

The tool box installer said it was the camera RAM provided with the wiring harness, so I believe it's factory. I haven't reached back out to the dealer yet, but was curious if anyone else has had experience with poor quality back up cameras.

Attaching a photo of the camera as it sits in my driveway. I have a lot of shade, so the picture isn't blown out as much, but in full sun it's basically useless. You can at least tell how low resolution it is.

Attachments

• C66743BD-796A-4857-88C1-CB6CAFC611D6.jpeg
    C66743BD-796A-4857-88C1-CB6CAFC611D6.jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 88

GregHBNA

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Higher resolution backup cameras are typically on the 8.4 touchscreens with the glossy black trim around them, not the matte black.

jent

Reaction score
Looks fine to me, it's a backup camera not a movie

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Looks fine to me, it's a backup camera not a movie
We looking at the same picture? The OPs camera looks like crap, but it's a tradesmen model so bottom of the barrel as far as trim is concerned.
I bet if he upgraded the screen it would look way better.

deadmaulwalking

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses everyone!

The resolution on the display itself looks fine (Carplay is all I use admittedly, but it's nice and clear). I'm attaching another shot of the camera in full sunlight - should give a better idea of how bad it is at times. Also one of just the display in Carplay mode for resolution comparison.

I'll try and pull the shroud off the camera and see if there's a part number somewhere on it to compare to the other trim levels and see. Might just be as you guys say and the Tradesmen gets the low end display, but I'd be fine with the lower resolution camera if it'd balance colors better.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• 486A2E6C-F7E4-49EC-9D0F-3B115DA585AF.jpeg
    486A2E6C-F7E4-49EC-9D0F-3B115DA585AF.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 4E7A1ED5-800A-4A69-AAE2-3BCD54EDD597.jpeg
    4E7A1ED5-800A-4A69-AAE2-3BCD54EDD597.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

The resolution on the display itself looks fine (Carplay is all I use admittedly, but it's nice and clear). I'm attaching another shot of the camera in full sunlight - should give a better idea of how bad it is at times. Also one of just the display in Carplay mode for resolution comparison.

I'll try and pull the shroud off the camera and see if there's a part number somewhere on it to compare to the other trim levels and see. Might just be as you guys say and the Tradesmen gets the low end display, but I'd be fine with the lower resolution camera if it'd balance colors better.

Thanks again!
That definitely looks like it's a bad camera then screen based on those pictures.
I wonder how the backup camera looks in a well lit area without direct sunlight, like in a lit garage.
My wife's backup camera is complete crap if it's light at all out but works great at night, I think it's something with the exposure of the lens or something.

If you figure out how to remove the camera and it isn't destructive I can take mine off and see what part number it is. I have a Limited with a 12 inch screen. Interestingly enough my build sheet doesn't list the camera

Question, is that showing as the backup camera or as an Aux camera? The icon on the top left of the screen is the Aux icon, if I try and turn that camera on I get a blue screen (because i don't have an Aux camera). I wonder if it's a different quality connection for Aux.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Thanks again!
The camera that you have is the same part number as every other 2019+ 1500 DT that do not have the surround view system. Trucks equipped with the surround view system use a different backup camera. The screen resolution on the 8.4 non-nav radio is the same as the screen resolution on the 8.4 with nav.

GregHBNA

Reaction score
The camera that you have is the same part number as every other 2019+ 1500 DT that do not have the surround view system. Trucks equipped with the surround view system use a different backup camera. The screen resolution on the 8.4 non-nav radio is the same as the screen resolution on the 8.4 with nav.
I dunno about that. I've seen a 8.4 screen with the matte border (non-nav), and a 8.4 screen with the piano black border (with nav), and the 8.4 screen with the piano black bezel and a razor sharp resolution and a very sharp backup camera.

So, either the backup camera is different or the screen has a higher resolution. but they are NOT the same.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I dunno about that. I've seen a 8.4 screen with the matte border (non-nav), and a 8.4 screen with the piano black border (with nav), and the 8.4 screen with the piano black bezel and a razor sharp resolution and a very sharp backup camera.

So, either the backup camera is different or the screen has a higher resolution. but they are NOT the same.
They’re the same.
Now, I’ve seen different software versions affect the appearance of the camera image.

Solracer

Reaction score
I'm actually going to contact my dealer as the rear image on my 22 limited is crap compared to the front view. The front view is nice and sharp, the back view seems kind of fuzzy.

GregHBNA

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone ever peeled off the clear plastic protective film off the lens?
It usually has writing saying "NOT TO REMOVED EXCEPT BY CUSTOMER" on the clear film in white letters.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone ever peeled off the clear plastic protective film off the lens?
Is that a thing?

I don't recall having plastic on any of the cameras, but it's possible the dealership might of removed (I didn't have them wash the truck or do anything else)

GregHBNA

Reaction score
Is that a thing?

I don't recall having plastic on any of the cameras, but it's possible the dealership might of removed (I didn't have them wash the truck or do anything else)
Removing the plastic is part of the PDI after the vehicle is purchased. I've test drove vehicles with the film on the screen.

deadmaulwalking

Reaction score
Sorry if anyone was following this thread - I kind of dropped the ball on follow up responses!

I've been going back and forth with the dealer over this camera situation, but I'm not getting a fix. They tried a radio update (no change), another camera from a Laramie cab & chassis (same quality).

I did buy an aftermarket camera with OEM hookup and while it still wasn't an awesome picture, it did look a lot better (definition wise). I'm attaching a photo of the stock and then the aftermarket camera for those curious.

The fact the aftermarket looks better seems to negate the wiring and radio as the culprits, but I'm not sure if there's anything else to get the dealer to try. I know with analog security cameras, you can set the resolution of the signal and it almost seems like these OEM cameras just need a resolution adjustment, but I've no idea if that's possible or who would be able to do that (other than the dealer that doesn't want to help any further).

At this point I'm just gonna buy a better aftermarket camera (I ended up returning the first aftermarket because I thought the software upgrade was gonna fix it and didn't want to pay for a camera we didn't need). Does anyone have a preference on aftermarket parts for something like this? I'm leaning towards Dorman for no other reason than it mentions "high definition" picture in the description.

Thanks again for all of the input/discussion on this topic!

Attachments

• 00D4EF21-6190-42B9-9DBA-5BE799BDC505.jpeg
    00D4EF21-6190-42B9-9DBA-5BE799BDC505.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 25
  • D3799882-49FB-4475-A2E8-2B3A433A57EE.jpeg
    D3799882-49FB-4475-A2E8-2B3A433A57EE.jpeg
    102.7 KB · Views: 25

Users who are viewing this thread