5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

BTB123

Reaction score
I've seen plenty of broken analog Speedos and Tachs over the years. Likelihood to break is probably the same, but cost to repair is where the pain lies.
I have a 100,000 mile warranty. This truck will be history right before that ends. I don’t trust many digital vehicles past that anymore.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've seen plenty of broken analog Speedos and Tachs over the years. Likelihood to break is probably the same, but cost to repair is where the pain lies.
Probably the same cost if not cheaper.

OEM clusters are NOT cheap, screen or not. Even the existing Ram has screens and software on them with the "analog cluster"

Most analog speedos are actually fed with a digital signal anyways so it's physical parts vs a screen.

As long as the mpg and rpm gauges are realtime and not delayed I would say the digital dash is fine assuming they don't screw it up and make something simple bad.
Worst case if it blows at 150k miles you can just get a cheap 10 inch tablet and tape it over the cluster and use Torquepro and make your own gauges.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Dang.... Rednecks of the future gonna need to be seriously tech savvy!
At the rate we are going yeah.
Damn near everything is digital or electronic.

Cant even get a cable box in my town they only give you a streaming app on Android and it's your responsibility to get your own devices. Thank God I'm grandfathered in.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Gauges have been all digital fed for almost 30 years. Nothing is mechanical, there is no hard connection to any sensor or gauge.

The needles you see moving are little stepper motors.

There is an entire sub section of mechanics who repair them. Some can even repair the screens.

Or just buy a obd2 reader and cheap Amazon tablet with an app and you can see even more functions than the gauge cluster shows if it breaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mercs2112

Reaction score
I've seen reports of others getting poor gas mileage in their 5th Generation Rams. Mine is horrible. Has anyone else gotten a dealer to figure out what's wrong with this truck?
I've had my truck in the shop twice now for this issue. The Ram technicians are not able to find anything wrong with the truck.

It is a 2019 ram 1500 limited 4x4 crew cab with eTorque engine. Fuel economy is supposed to be 17 city, 22 highway.
I have the active suspension, and every option imaginable. 12" touch screen (which I would not recommend after living with it).
I only get 12-13 mpg city and 15-16mpg highway.
I have the 3.92 rear axle with anti-spin diff.
Eco mode almost never turns on in this new truck.
I have no performance options other than what the truck came with.
I have 12,500 miles on it now.

My 2016 ram quad cab with 5.7 hemi 4x4 got 20mpg or better consistently on the highway thanks to the eco mode.
I should be getting at least within 1 to 2 mpg of what is stated. My 2016 truck promised 20mpg and I got better.
I drive conservatively. I drive mostly highway. I don't idle the truck.
I thought the eTorque would be the way to go. I would not recommend it.
I've owned 4 of these trucks, each one better than the last, until this latest one.

I was given a loaner 2019 Ram 1500 with the Hemi, crew cab, same as my truck, but no eTorque option. I towed a trailer with that loaner truck for 250 miles and averaged 19.5mpg in tow/haul mode. It was the same year as mine 4x4 with the crew cab and hemi, and it got much better gas mileage. The only difference is mine has the eTorque, and this loaner did not. I can't get gas mileage that good in my truck, when it's empty and riding steady at 65mph on the highway. When I tow, I get 12 on the highway.

Something is wrong with my truck that is not wrong with all of them. Has anyone else experienced this and have you gotten it properly fixed? I'm at the point where I'm fighting with my dealer and I need to tell him what it is. He has put the OBD tester on it and says it has no codes.
Get 11 MPG around town always everywhere

6of36

Reaction score
Just reading the updates, and noticed a couple months ago, it swayed about different freeway speeds in different areas, and then the size of the freeways. I posted where the freeway had 5 regular lanes, plus 2 for EVs and HOVs in Houston. I was since corrected, for the guy that agreed that was a lot of lanes. Since, I have found out there is one section of one freeway there, that is 24 lanes wide. Back to the mileage discussion.

23RAM

Reaction score
Get 11 MPG around town always everywhere
The only way I could get 11 in town is if I filled the bed with gravel, then spun the tires launching at every traffic light with my gas pedal on the floor racing to the next traffic light.
:)
Seriously, I have 2-3 ways to get around the heavy traffic areas so I don't have to sit idling too much. I average 17-18 in the city non-etorque Hemi with 3.92 gears.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The only way I could get 11 in town is if I filled the bed with gravel, then spun the tires launching at every traffic light with my gas pedal on the floor racing to the next traffic light.
:)
Seriously, I have 2-3 ways to get around the heavy traffic areas so I don't have to sit idling too much. I average 17-18 in the city non-etorque Hemi with 3.92 gears.
I don't get 18mpg on the highway with 3.92s.
I think etorque helps to kill my mpg in the city.

6of36

Reaction score
I'm a lead foot, and my 2020 E-torque got 14.5 city, and depending how I drove highway 18-23. At 85+ 18. If i drove 65-70, up to 23. I don't drive a truck for mileage, however it got better than my 2021 Durango, probably due to all wheel drive. It has no 2wd.

23RAM

Reaction score
I don't get 18mpg on the highway with 3.92s.
I get 21 or better if I keep it under 68. If I go above 68 the VVT begins to open and mileage drops off quickly. In 50mph areas I get 22-23.
I think etorque helps to kill my mpg in the city.
E-torque is supposed to help in heavy traffic, but since I don't sit in a lot of traffic, I didn't see the need for it and opted to go without it. I'm glad I did...less complex design and I still get the mileage I was expecting.

91TTZ

Reaction score
22 larmie. Non etorque. Air ride that's leveled or raised a bit. 33 nittos. Got 17.4mpg hwy yesterday 65 to 75mph. 3.92 gears. I think the truck sits in off 1 in aero mode as I have no off road 1 or 2.

Had this truck about 3 weeks. City hasn't been so great but bad traffic and lots of lights in the area. 13ish city.

BoxerguyT89

Reaction score
I get around 18 hand calculated with mostly highway driving. City dips down in the 15s.

5.7 e-torque with 3.21s and 35" tires.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm a lead foot, and my 2020 E-torque got 14.5 city, and depending how I drove highway 18-23. At 85+ 18. If i drove 65-70, up to 23. I don't drive a truck for mileage, however it got better than my 2021 Durango, probably due to all wheel drive. It has no 2wd.
Those 3.21s tho. Also the Durangos are heavy if I recall, just as much as the RAM which doesn't help it.
I get 21 or better if I keep it under 68. If I go above 68 the VVT begins to open and mileage drops off quickly. In 50mph areas I get 22-23.

E-torque is supposed to help in heavy traffic, but since I don't sit in a lot of traffic, I didn't see the need for it and opted to go without it. I'm glad I did...less complex design and I still get the mileage I was expecting.
The "problem" I have with eTorque is that is creates a ton of drag, and since I don't use start or stop I create drag on the engine to slow it down whenever I take my foot off the break to charge a battery I mostly don't use, where I would normally coast and gain mpgs I slow down and then and are forced to accelerate again for a net loss of MPG with eTorque.
Unless you are grid locked I can't see eTorque saying any mpgs.

Not sure why my mpg is terrible on the highway except for 3.92s, eTorque is not suppose to be active at highway speeds.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The "problem" I have with eTorque is that is creates a ton of drag, and since I don't use start or stop I create drag on the engine to slow it down whenever I take my foot off the break to charge a battery I mostly don't use, where I would normally coast and gain mpgs I slow down and then and are forced to accelerate again for a net loss of MPG with eTorque.
Unless you are grid locked I can't see eTorque saying any mpgs.

Not sure why my mpg is terrible on the highway except for 3.92s, eTorque is not suppose to be active at highway speeds.
Strange to hear your experience. I feel no such 'drag' with eTorque. In fact, I sometimes wish the truck would slow down a bit more when I let off the gas in heavy traffic; I find myself having to hit the brakes in stop-and-go a little too often. Most of the time, I'll let the truck deal with it (adaptive cruise), but it gets annoying if we encounter full gridlock.

My truck is heavy and has 3.92s, so my mileage isn't anything special (see signature). It's crept up a little bit over its 40K miles. I can record 18+ mpg for a tank if I spend 90% of it cruising on two-lane highways (55-63 mph). Interestingly, the truck also has a sweet spot at around 75-78 mph where MDS will kick in with the slightest downhill or tailwind and hold for quite a while. But if I mix in some city driving, that'll tank the economy and I'll end up in the 14s or 15s.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Strange to hear your experience. I feel no such 'drag' with eTorque. In fact, I sometimes wish the truck would slow down a bit more when I let off the gas in heavy traffic; I find myself having to hit the brakes in stop-and-go a little too often. Most of the time, I'll let the truck deal with it (adaptive cruise), but it gets annoying if we encounter full gridlock.

My truck is heavy and has 3.92s, so my mileage isn't anything special (see signature). It's crept up a little bit over its 40K miles. I can record 18+ mpg for a tank if I spend 90% of it cruising on two-lane highways (55-63 mph). Interestingly, the truck also has a sweet spot at around 75-78 mph where MDS will kick in with the slightest downhill or tailwind and hold for quite a while. But if I mix in some city driving, that'll tank the economy and I'll end up in the 14s or 15s.

I drove 2 eTorque trucks and I thought the regenerative braking was very noticeable. If you're a dirt bike rider, it's similar to the difference in engine braking between a four stroke and two stroke. Four strokes are very annoying, just like eTorque. :ROFLMAO:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

If you don't feel drag with eTorque you are just used to it.
At very low speeds you don't feel it like during stop and go traffic. Going 30mph or so on a flat road and take your foot off the gas and there is significant drag.
I can coast on flat ground with my wifes Acadia in spots where I need to keep my foot on the gas in my truck, and her Acadia weights 6700 lbs so it's not like it's lighter then my Ram (6100 lbs)

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you don't feel drag with eTorque you are just used to it.
At very low speeds you don't feel it like during stop and go traffic. Going 30mph or so on a flat road and take your foot off the gas and there is significant drag.
I can coast on flat ground with my wifes Acadia in spots where I need to keep my foot on the gas in my truck, and her Acadia weights 6700 lbs so it's not like it's lighter then my Ram (6100 lbs)
Apples and oranges. The two have completely different drive trains (transmission/motors, tires, etc.), weights and rolling resistances.

Users who are viewing this thread