5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is my fill-up from today.

2 weeks of driving mostly highway with some city driving.
You can find my average speed based upon the hours and milage (no idling) avg speed was 37 MPH (which seems low to me)
Got a whopping 14.9 MPH on a 22 Limited with stock 22 all seasons. RIP.
2023-05-17 16.48.55.jpg

23RAM

Reaction score
It is more the wind resistance.
Actually it's not, unless you're towing something that has high drag.
Did you know the RAM has a drag coefficient of 0.357 which is about the same as a 1990's VW Jetta?
A lot of people think the RAM is a brick in the wind, but it's really not. And the pickup bed has nothing to do with drag either - open tailgate, or closed, doesn't matter, tonneau cover doesn't matter either.

It's the same with my V6 SUV - hit 2k rpm and the VVT starts to change and fuel consumption rises and it sucks the fuel. The difference is 29 mpg at 65 mph which drops down to 24 mpg at 75 mph. That's a whopping 5 mpg difference for 10 mph.
And it kicks over at 3k. You can hear it when you install the exhaust.
I can hear the exhaust note change at 2k and my mpg confirms that's where consumption starts to increase.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't know here you live, but those speeds have nothing to do with sanity. The posted speeds are 70 and 75, depending on which road I drive.
Well, not that far from DC since I was talking about driving the DC beltway...🤣

If you have not driven it during morning rush hour, you don't know what you are missing. 4 lanes in each direction packed with local commuters, lost out of state tourists, local businesses and 1-95 east coast traffic all sharing a 64 mile circle track race. Everyone coming off a ramp entering it feels the need to get to the far left lane and once there does not get back across all four lanes until just prior to their exit.

If you see an accident, it is considered a fender bender unless a vehicle is on its roof or a white tarp is covering it. Kind of Mad Max driving experience daily.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Actually it's not, unless you're towing something that has high drag.
Did you know the RAM has a drag coefficient of 0.357 which is about the same as a 1990's VW Jetta?
A lot of people think the RAM is a brick in the wind, but it's really not. And the pickup bed has nothing to do with drag either - open tailgate, or closed, doesn't matter, tonneau cover doesn't matter either.

It's the same with my V6 SUV - hit 2k rpm and the VVT starts to change and fuel consumption rises and it sucks the fuel. The difference is 29 mpg at 65 mph which drops down to 24 mpg at 75 mph. That's a whopping 5 mpg difference for 10 mph.

I can hear the exhaust note change at 2k and my mpg confirms that's where consumption starts to increase.

I have a loud exhaust. I can 100% confirm
It’s 3k. Even my passengers have asked why it changes.

It’s a bit of both. But Ether way, Higher speed=more wind resistance. And 3.92 truck mpg would be massively less than 3.21 trucks at the same speed. And it’s really not

I can be in tow/haul mode where it never really goes into 8th and I still get similar mpg going the same speeds.

Same as my other vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes the wind has alot to do with it. Especially a head wind. an uneven rough road will cause mpg to drop.

Last edited:

6of36

Reaction score
Well, not that far from DC since I was talking about driving the DC beltway...🤣

If you have not driven it during morning rush hour, you don't know what you are missing. 4 lanes in each direction packed with local commuters, lost out of state tourists, local businesses and 1-95 east coast traffic all sharing a 64 mile circle track race. Everyone coming off a ramp entering it feels the need to get to the far left lane and once there does not get back across all four lanes until just prior to their exit.

If you see an accident, it is considered a fender bender unless a vehicle is on its roof or a white tarp is covering it. Kind of Mad Max driving experience daily.
Try Houston. 7 lanes. None of them move. Exits on both sides of the freeway. Their road engineers should be shot. Sure glad I don't live there.

BTB123

Reaction score
2 tanks of mixed driving. Mainly in town driving up to 60MPH. Premium fuel. All engineered fuel saving methods turned on.

Attachments

• IMG_5065.jpeg
    IMG_5065.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 48

John Galt

Reaction score
no argument from me. problem is, most modern “mechanical” gauges are just as digital, but with more moving parts.

I haven’t looked but I bet the Ram “mechanical” gauges which are all digital step-motors controlled by computer to display values the ECU captures vs a flat LCD panel the cost isn’t going to be that different….amd the lcd panel has less moving parts.

ultimately, you can plug an OBDII reader into the truck and display those same values on a cell phone, different display or whatever else you want. Few vehicles if any still use real analog gauges that actually directly connect to the sensors they display information for.

I wish that were not the case.

Users who are viewing this thread