5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Took a 250 mile trip yesterday, going 65 to 70mph.
Averaged 22.7 going there, dropped to 20.3 on the way back due to strong head winds and some city driving.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Some people did though.

I sold my lifted newer Silverado for the ram to get better mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thundersnow

Reaction score
Testing testing 1, 2, 3….
Just back from a long road trip, so-cal to nor-cal. Reset the trip computer at the bottom of the grapevine using the gps to confirm consistent elevation. Only minor fluctuations in altitude for the duration of the trip confirming a flat surface.
I did 2 100 mile legs at various speeds all on cruise control. Test 1 was at 70, test 2 at 65. I found 100 miles sufficient for mpg to stabilize in the computer. Here are the pics, i’m shocked at the results. I guess my speeding days are behind me now!

Attachments

• 156AAD16-6674-4C2A-AE01-FBEE1FB6AFAD.jpeg
    156AAD16-6674-4C2A-AE01-FBEE1FB6AFAD.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 55
  • D433B3B1-538D-4057-96BB-5DF3805B5505.jpeg
    D433B3B1-538D-4057-96BB-5DF3805B5505.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 55

6of36

Reaction score
Just back from a long road trip, so-cal to nor-cal. Reset the trip computer at the bottom of the grapevine using the gps to confirm consistent elevation. Only minor fluctuations in altitude for the duration of the trip confirming a flat surface.
I did 2 100 mile legs at various speeds all on cruise control. Test 1 was at 70, test 2 at 65. I found 100 miles sufficient for mpg to stabilize in the computer. Here are the pics, i’m shocked at the results. I guess my speeding days are behind me now!
I had found in the past, that 65 seemed to be the magic wall. Above that the wind resistance jumps drastically. That's why they do the estimated highway mileage at 55.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Gotta love driving through the central valley. Such lovely smells. Especially around Harris Ranchz and Gilroy( if you go by there.l)

23RAM

Reaction score
I had found in the past, that 65 seemed to be the magic wall. Above that the wind resistance jumps drastically. That's why they do the estimated highway mileage at 55.
It's not the wind resistance so much, it's the engine is revving slightly higher and the VVT changes the intake and sucks more gas to develop more HP. This happens around 2k rpm. Most vehicles for this market are tuned to run optimally around 65 mph. The SUV is much worse with a V6 as it needs to rev higher to pull a trailer uphill and sucks way more gas than the RAM when towing. That's one of the main factors that led to buying a full size pickup - better mileage while towing.

Thundersnow

Reaction score
Gotta love driving through the central valley. Such lovely smells. Especially around Harris Ranchz and Gilroy( if you go by there.l)
Hwy 99 or bust! Harris Ranch is the sole reason I never take the 5!

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's not the wind resistance so much, it's the engine is revving slightly higher and the VVT changes the intake and sucks more gas to develop more HP. This happens around 2k rpm. Most vehicles for this market are tuned to run optimally around 65 mph. The SUV is much worse with a V6 as it needs to rev higher to pull a trailer uphill and sucks way more gas than the RAM when towing. That's one of the main factors that led to buying a full size pickup - better mileage while towing.

This is towing 10000+, so engine revving and VVT causing mpg decline isn't the issue for me. It's the sail behind me. This is out of Stockton AFTER going across the Grape Vine. My optimum for this truck is 55/65, but 60 when towing. I actually only got 10/11 in my Duramax at the same speeds.
Dash display.jpg

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Took a 250 mile trip yesterday, going 65 to 70mph.
Averaged 22.7 going there, dropped to 20.3 on the way back due to strong head winds and some city driving.
Yea, pushing against that air is tough when you are running those 3.21 gears isn't it? 😆🤣😆🤣

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I still don’t think you posted a high milage average with your superior gear ratio.

Nope. Even though the 3.92 gearing is far superior, my truck is not set up to be a fuel sipper. If I wanted that I would have stuck with the 6 banger and maybe made it a cholo truck. Lift, truck tires and a tendency to work the right side pedal pretty hard do not lend to gas milage records.

6of36

Reaction score
It was the same before VVT. It's the physics of load due to wind resistance. It will happen with any vehicle. The speed of when it will happen depends on the aerodynamics of each vehicle, at what speed it lower mileage.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score

It is more the wind resistance.

And it kicks over at 3k. You can hear it when you install the exhaust.

At 75mph I’m still under 3k. And I can get a good bit more mpg staying -around 65-70

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
The hard part was having an ice chest full of beer behind the truck. It really lugs the engine down. 😉
My goodness, how did it even make it out of the driveway?!? 😄
It is more the wind resistance.

And it kicks over at 3k. You can hear it when you install the exhaust.

At 75mph I’m still under 3k. And I can get a good bit more mpg staying -around 65-70

Driving sane saves gas all around. If I am just cruising back roads out to my friends farm on the weekend I get about 4 mpg better than driving like a lunatic on the DC beltway going to work.

6of36

Reaction score
My goodness, how did it even make it out of the driveway?!? 😄

Driving sane saves gas all around. If I am just cruising back roads out to my friends farm on the weekend I get about 4 mpg better than driving like a lunatic on the DC beltway going to work.
I don't know here you live, but those speeds have nothing to do with sanity. The posted speeds are 70 and 75, depending on which road I drive.

Users who are viewing this thread