5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Guys, it is a truck. If you seriously think you are going to get 20mpg out of a big, heavy gas eating truck you all are crazy.......

But I do get good mileage with my big heavy truck......20+ consistently.....please don't get mad at me! LOL!

chrisnack

Reaction score
My loaded Limited e-torque is getting 17mpg doing 75mph, it’s terrible. 12ish around town.

I owned 3 F150’s and they all got better. My last 2018 King Ranch got 20-22mpg doing 80mph.

Bought the RAM for the interior but the mileage is horrible.

Yes it’s a truck but there is absolutely no reason it shouldnt get 20 on the highway, Ford can do it, Chevy can do it.

chrisnack

Reaction score
It’s clearly e-torque for the most part so a new ECU flash I’m sure would handle it just fine. FCA might not care though.

So maybe I’ll look into an aftermarket tune personally.

chrisnack

Reaction score
There is no solution to a 5000lb truck with a 5.7L gas eating motor other than downsize

For RAM you mean apparently?

Seeing as everyone can do it just fine. Granted they are slightly smaller V8’s but still getting 20mpg easy.

Hell I’d be happy with 18, but 16? My 6.2L Raptor could do 15 on the highway. That’s a heavier truck, 35” tires and lifted.

So if a 6000lb 6.2L Raptor can do 15, yes I would say a 5.7L RAM limited should be able to manage at least 18mpg on the highway.

I do like my truck minus the mileage. I’ve never complained about mileage in any of the trucks I’ve owned until this one. Probably because with the exception of the Raptor this is the worst I’ve ever had.

YellowSled

Reaction score
Lots of people on here are getting in the low 20’s with the 5.7 and 5.7 w/etorque. Maybe you just have a more aggressive driving style that ur not really aware of.

BigD

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Big Horn crew cab 5.7 hemi with etorque. 3.92 gears. I get 23 mpg highway going 55-60 mph. Over 70 it drops to 17 mpg. I get 16 mpg around town. Not sure why u guys are getting such terrible gas mileage.

ktl5005

Reaction score
For RAM you mean apparently?

Seeing as everyone can do it just fine. Granted they are slightly smaller V8’s but still getting 20mpg easy.

Hell I’d be happy with 18, but 16? My 6.2L Raptor could do 15 on the highway. That’s a heavier truck, 35” tires and lifted.

So if a 6000lb 6.2L Raptor can do 15, yes I would say a 5.7L RAM limited should be able to manage at least 18mpg on the highway.

I do like my truck minus the mileage. I’ve never complained about mileage in any of the trucks I’ve owned until this one. Probably because with the exception of the Raptor this is the worst I’ve ever had.

Interesting.......

My 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk with the v6 on Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac that I am trading in for a Ram gets 14-15 around town and tops on the highway 18. I don't complain about it. I didn't buy that or this Ram I am getting Tuesday for fuel mileage. Maybe your expectations are a bit too high......

Oh, and per Fuelly average is 16-18

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
this is why with an 8 speed tansmission the towing gear should be 3.92 at 7th and a even taller 8th than the 3.21 be the overdrive, highway mpg gear.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For the love of all things holy...why does this thread continue? MPH test are done by manufacturer, in perfect world conditions, most likely downhill, with a tailwind. Things do slightly improve after about 5k miles.

If you wanted a truck and are worried about gas mileage, you should have bought a Honda Ridgeline. :unsure:

The power, sound and feel of this Ram, full sized truck kills...kills my old GMC Denali. I couldn't be happier paying $1 more (now with gas as cheap as it is, maybe 50 cents more) a day in gas to beat BMW's off the line at the stop light, then drive off onto a dirt road, never to see them again.

Nothing wrong with the truck...just your foot, on the floorboard. Giddy up! :cool:
LOL that you think a Ram will beat any BMW off the line. The ram isn't fast, it's quick...but certainly not fast.

I'm dissapointed with my mileage in my Ram Limited. Why? Because I drove a 475hp 6.4L Jeep SRT would blow the doors off the ram (and most cars) and it got better mileage than the RAM, by a few MPG.

Brad460

Reaction score
At a steady 65 MPH I can get 20 mpg and at 75 mph I can get 18.5 mpg. I’ve gotten a high as 22+ if I am extra careful and keep it under 60 mph.

Around town I am around 15.5 mpg.

My father in law has a 2018 Chevy Silverado and he gets slightly better, but the 5.3L is a turd of an engine.

My Tundra was 14.5 mpg max at any speed and driving type.

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
Then ignore the thread. Problem solved.

The rest of us are hoping there is a solution.

When i got my FIRST 2019 Ram Lonestar coming from a 2018 Ram Sport i was also majorly disappointed with the fuel economy. 5th gens were supposed to be "better designed, lighter & more fuel efficient" and i just wasn't seeing it, even after the 5,000 point.....(Both had 3.92 but the Sport held steady @ around 17, 2019 could barely stay @ 15 on a GOOD day)

i like all of us in here AT FIRST was like, "what the he!!?!" but by the time i bought my 2nd fully loaded 2019 Ram (and much heavier due to all the added options) i had decided there was only going to be THREE things regarding the MPG i was getting that would be a great solution: PERSPECTIVE , ACCEPTANCE, & SATURDAY like clockwork" fill ups...

Perspective:
If i have to part with an extra 10-15 bucks extra a week than i would if i were driving a Ford or Chevy to accomplish same MPG, so be it!

Acceptance:
And i am one that can NOT stand the expression, "it is what it is" but in this case adapting that attitude really is pretty much the only way your poor fuel economy will not dampen an otherwise great owning experience, so that is where i have been at for over a year....

Every Saturday Fill Tank:
For me i used to wanna give my fuel gauge the finger almost every morning when i first saw how poor her mpg was! But once i started my Saturday fill up regimen, NOW if i even notice my gas gauge, i'm like, "awww, is Mama's lil baby getting thirsty again honey?! There there, its almost Saturday sweetheart" : )

oh yeah, and ONE more thing: Remove that Gas Economy setting from ur instrument cluster so it ain't staring u in the face every second : )

BB ll @ Fed Ex-wp1 3.jpg

Last edited:

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
Lots of people on here are getting in the low 20’s with the 5.7 and 5.7 w/etorque. Maybe you just have a more aggressive driving style that ur not really aware of.
Please show me the post that said anyone with specifically an Etorque Hemi 4x4 is getting 20s. The original post from the OP was about the eTorque getting crappy gas mileage and I am in the same boat, as I posted in Early April. I am coming up on 2 months of owning my truck and is still haven't even gotten past the "break in" period (thanks Covid). By the way, my dealership did not stress anything about the "break in" period. In fact, my salesman had me floor it during the test drive so I could feel the Hemi, and my service manager said nothing about an oil change at 1500 miles as mentioned a few posts back. All that said, coming from Ford I thought their gas mileage bad, until I bought this truck. I am fully stock and barely getting 12 MPG in the city and lucky to get 17-18 on the little bit of highway I drive. So I feel you OP.

Boston

Reaction score
And my 25 year old 4000lb off road truck sees 12mpg around town 15 on the highway.

That’s enough to create range anxiety with a tiny 15 gallon tank.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Drove Orlando to Miami today. 70-72mph, mostly 72. Lie o meter says 21.1. That includes some idling for lunch and a couple bathroom stops with A/C running.

Around town I get 16.5 to 17.5 on the lie o meter (Orlando area). When I lived in Fort Lauderdale I got 15-16 around town.

I’m getting the sticker rated mileage (15 city 21 highway) or better. Even with the 3.92

chrisnack

Reaction score
Drove Orlando to Miami today. 70-72mph, mostly 72. Lie o meter says 21.1. That includes some idling for lunch and a couple bathroom stops with A/C running.

Around town I get 16.5 to 17.5 on the lie o meter (Orlando area). When I lived in Fort Lauderdale I got 15-16 around town.

I’m getting the sticker rated mileage (15 city 21 highway) or better. Even with the 3.92

No e-torque?

Users who are viewing this thread

• TSL