5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor fuel mileage highway

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Seems very truck to truck. Son’s 3.21 non et gets 17-18 hi-way. No idea why.

Kob0583

Reaction score
Man the trend is becoming more obvious as I read the poor mileage threads. The only people on this thread that are reporting decent gas mileage on the interstate are the owners without the eTorque engine. This is false advertising at it's finest. Claiming 17 and 22 with the majority of poor gas mileage complaints coming from eTorque owners getting city MPG on the highway. Wish I had scoured this thread before I bought my truck two weeks ago. Having some serious buyer's remorse with my choice of the eTorque engine. My average read 12.5 when I started the truck this morning to leave work. I am definitely contacting FCA about this. My truck doesn't even have 300 miles on it and my Ram ownership looks grim. This is unacceptable.

I have ET and get I average 18, 100 miles today sitting at 19 but rarely touch 20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have read through a few of these threads and consistently notice people commenting have larger tires and/or lifts and complaining about mileage... that’s not a fair datapoint at all, especially considering larger tires negatively affect the display calculation for fuel mileage.

I wish everyone would just report their trim level, engine, mpg, and any modifications.

My Laramie V8 has 3k miles, and I’ve seen a slow creep upwards to about 17.5mpg average with 33s.I put a 2” front lift on a week or so ago and am now down to 15.1mpg displayed. This isn’t FCAs fault, my datapoint is clearly invalid as related to the window sticker.

silver billet

Reaction score
I've posted this before (not in this thread), I get 24 MPG in my (relatively) light bighorn, on a 3 hour all highway trip, with only 2500 KM on the dial. Stock 18 inch tires:

20190628_091556_HDR.jpg

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Could be yes, although like I said, my son with an almost identical truck (just the 6’4” bed different) gets 18 highway.

I was on the gm performance forum this am where they were discussing (it was an old thread) about 4.8 vs 6.0 mpg’s. After numerous “I get 20 mpg highway with my 4.8, I get 15 highway with my 4.8” comments, one person said: “I don't know why there's such a disparity in MPG on these engines, but there's too many people with different results on the same engines and platforms to doubt on either side.”
So it’s not just us peeps, Probably every make has the disparity with their engines.

Ancient history - back in the mid 90’s I had my Chevy 400 truck engine rebuilt by a very good independent shop, they loaned me their stock shop truck for a couple days. I was blown away by the power the 350 vortec had (96 model) and asked the owner what performance alterations he had done (back before their were tunes, you actually had to do major engine work). He said “none, it’s just a real runner of an engine.”

He built and raced cars yet had no explanation why it performed so well. He said “with some engines everything is just right while with others everything is just wrong.“

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Ok this isn’t exactly a mpg whine however it’s a hp whine. If Hot Rod magazine could get an additional 67 hp by changing the cam, why doesn’t a RAM engineer do the same thing for the 2021? Do I need to send them the article?
‘A cam and spring upgrade yield 67 additional horsepower on a Junkyard 5.7 Hemi.‘ April 10, 2020 date, hotrod.com

So here’s a quote: “With ample displacement and compression, the only thing stopping a Hemi from making power is the mild factory cam timing, especially on the Ram trucks. The mystery surrounding our Hemi was not so much would a cam swap increase the power output, but by how much... Equipped with the new HRT cam, the 5.7L produced 434 hp and 440 lb-ft of torque. We suspect that Homey was down slightly on power from where the old dog should be, both with the stock cam and the new Comp version, but we sure liked the gains offered by the HRT cam. It's hard to argue with an extra 67 hp, especially when the big gains on the top came with no penalty in power down low.”
(End of copied portions of article.)

So RAM engine designers/engineers, please read the article and up power the hemi for 2021!
Ahh, if it were this simple!

BlackBeauty14

Reaction score
Ive noticed that last year with the 2019 Ram's, the dealers in my area at least, didn't have very many that had the e-torque Hemi engine but now with the 2020 models most of then do have e-torque. Has there been improvements in the mpg on the 2020's?

Leinhauser01

Reaction score
I wish I could get 10.7 lol.

View attachment 48484

5.7 Hemi eTorque, 3.92 axle, 22" wheels, 89 octane

Mostly city driving between 35-55 MPH. Using adaptive cruise control the majority of the time (which has slightly aggressive acceleration but it's not flooring it or anything).

Take 4WD AUTO off. Being in 4WD AUTO will actually kill your gas milage. Leave it in 2WD unless you need 4WD. Also, having it in 4WD AUTO, it engages your transfer case and puts undue wear on your Transfer and Front Diff.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Must be the 3:92 gears at 65 on flat highway I’m only around 16 with e torque!
What is your tire pressure at? The factory pressure is set for comfort, too low in my opinion and creates a lot of rolling resistance

Scram1500

Reaction score
What PSI do you recommend? My door says 45 rear and 55 front.
The non-Rebel trucks come with LT tires and the recommended is 36 psi. The Rebel trucks are on the money but they obviously set us up for a squishy ride. Bumped mine up to 44 front (limit of tire) and 40 rear

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The non-Rebel trucks come with LT tires and the recommended is 36 psi. The Rebel trucks are on the money but they obviously set us up for a squishy ride. Bumped mine up to 44 front (limit of tire) and 40 rear

you got it backwards, non rebel trucks come with P rated tires. The Off Road package trucks come with LT tires that are C rated and the Rebels come with E rated LT tires.

Scram1500

Reaction score
you got it backwards, non rebel trucks come with P rated tires. The Off Road package trucks come with LT tires that are C rated and the Rebels come with E rated LT tires.
Yes thank you for the correction. Not to go off topic but these passenger tires are awful, can't wait until they're off my truck

Users who are viewing this thread