5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor fuel mileage highway

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
Man the trend is becoming more obvious as I read the poor mileage threads. The only people on this thread that are reporting decent gas mileage on the interstate are the owners without the eTorque engine. This is false advertising at it's finest. Claiming 17 and 22 with the majority of poor gas mileage complaints coming from eTorque owners getting city MPG on the highway. Wish I had scoured this thread before I bought my truck two weeks ago. Having some serious buyer's remorse with my choice of the eTorque engine. My average read 12.5 when I started the truck this morning to leave work. I am definitely contacting FCA about this. My truck doesn't even have 300 miles on it and my Ram ownership looks grim. This is unacceptable.

flynfish

Reaction score
Mine started out around 18mpg when it was new, and has been sitting at about 14.7 for quite a while with 8200 miles on it.

I have the non etorque, 3.92 4x4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Man the trend is becoming more obvious as I read the poor mileage threads. The only people on this thread that are reporting decent gas mileage on the interstate are the owners without the eTorque engine. This is false advertising at it's finest. Claiming 17 and 22 with the majority of poor gas mileage complaints coming from eTorque owners getting city MPG on the highway. Wish I had scoured this thread before I bought my truck two weeks ago. Having some serious buyer's remorse with my choice of the eTorque engine. My average read 12.5 when I started the truck this morning to leave work. I am definitely contacting FCA about this. My truck doesn't even have 300 miles on it and my Ram ownership looks grim. This is unacceptable.
Wonder how the v6 owners are faring, as all of theirs are ET...

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
Wonder how the v6 owners are faring, as all of theirs are ET...
I am curious about that as well. I considered the V6 option, coming from the Ecoboost world, but I thought resale would suck because most would want the Hemi. The dealership still has my Lariat for sale. I wish I had the option to drop their truck off and get mine back. Don't get me wrong, I love everything about this new Ram except for the gas mileage I am I store for over the next 41 months of my lease.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can get 17 in town with mine. But also only 17 on the highway. Driving descent. I’ve heard after first oil change and around 5000 miles supposed to get better? Mine has 3300 miles so we will see. Good luck!

RainDesert

Reaction score
At 7500 miles now mine seems to be up a little. My per tank readout is currently at 15.1. Before it was always in the 14's. I don't think we're out of winter fuel here yet either. Maybe this summer my average will creep close to 16. I do a lot of mixed city and rural backroads on my normal tank averages. I also run 33" LT tires and a 2" lift.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can get 17 in town with mine. But also only 17 on the highway. Driving descent. I’ve heard after first oil change and around 5000 miles supposed to get better? Mine has 3300 miles so we will see. Good luck!

I'm in the 15s right now I think, and I've had it over a year, I wanna say, ~18,000ish miles? (I haven't looked in a while). Stock rebel, 5.7 Hemi, no etorque, stock M/T tires, no air suspension, and I have a magnaflow exhaust I enjoy listening to.

I do believe the mileage gets better as it breaks in

silver billet

Reaction score
I doubt the issue is etorque (the technology). Biggest offender is weight. Keep the options light (no sunroof, no ram boxes, no skid plates, and I guess etorque as well), get the 3.21, keep your factory tires (and keep them inflated), drive very carefully (like there is an egg between pedal and foot) and stick to 60-65 mph and you will see 24 mpg.

If you have a rebel or a loaded limited, you will never see 24.

RainDesert

Reaction score
I just read a C&D review on the new wrangler 2.0T and 2.0T etorque motors. The non etorque averaged 1 mpg better in their test.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I am curious about that as well. I considered the V6 option, coming from the Ecoboost world, but I thought resale would suck because most would want the Hemi. The dealership still has my Lariat for sale. I wish I had the option to drop their truck off and get mine back. Don't get me wrong, I love everything about this new Ram except for the gas mileage I am I store for over the next 41 months of my lease.
I test drove the Laramie CC 3.55 geared six and the similar equipped/optioned 3.21 non ET hemi back to back over the same course and decided against the Pentstar due to 1) power was lacking (heavy truck), 2) too much downshifting, and 3) resale would suck. I don’t regret the decision, even if I sacrificed 2-3 mpg. I really wondered about taking the 3.21 gears on the hemi but its turned out to be fine (of course I don’t tow anymore).

Sorry to hear of your poor mileage, what I can say is that the trucks can vary considerably. My son has the same basic Ltd, same drivetrain and gears, just the 6’4” bed compared to my 5’7” (but he has no sunroof so weight saved there) and he never gets the Mulroney sticker mpg while I (and wife) pretty much always do.

Last edited by a moderator:

silver billet

Reaction score
I just read a C&D review on the new wrangler 2.0T and 2.0T etorque motors. The non etorque averaged 1 mpg better in their test.

1 mpg is well within "margin of error". Were they otherwise identical jeeps with same tires/weight? Did they use a different driver? Different time of day? More/less wind? If you said 3-4 I would say there might be something investigating.

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
I doubt the issue is etorque (the technology). Biggest offender is weight. Keep the options light (no sunroof, no ram boxes, no skid plates, and I guess etorque as well), get the 3.21, keep your factory tires (and keep them inflated), drive very carefully (like there is an egg between pedal and foot) and stick to 60-65 mph and you will see 24 mpg.

If you have a rebel or a loaded limited, you will never see 24.
All do respect, I never expected to see 24, but with a stock truck and the crappy highway tires that come on the truck, I do expect to get close to what the sticker is advertising. I even put it in cruise control when I am on the highway to take the individual driver influence out if it when I am doing a MPG run to check fuel economy. That's the only reason I bought the truck and gave them my brand new Fallen Wildpeak AT3W tires with the traded truck, because the non-eTorque I was test driving for two days was achieving close to what the sticker advertised. Now in my eTorque truck they picked up for me and can't get more than 17-18 with the wind at my back on the same highway with the same cruise control set. All tires are properly inflated as well. If I knew I was going to get this crappy of gas mileage, I would have at least insisted on keep my A/T tires. At least the truck would have looked better then.

RainDesert

Reaction score
1 mpg is well within "margin of error". Were they otherwise identical jeeps with same tires/weight? Did they use a different driver? Different time of day? More/less wind? If you said 3-4 I would say there might be something investigating.
I agree with you. I have been reading up on the new 2021 GC that now will have 3rd row. In doing so I found out they will have a 2.0 turbo 4 that I know nothing about. I was reading up on it this am and found the CandD review. It seemed like a relatable review to this active thread. It backs what I have read that etorque does nothing for real world mpgs most drivers see. Another note is jeep now offers that 4cyl without ET, which it hadn't previously.
Anyways, I thought it was relative.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One note for everyone using the Ave MPG display on the dash. It’s based on Trip A, but only reflects the most recent 200 or so miles. It is not an average since reset, at least on 1500 DTs.

Hard to believe? I thought so too. But my Trip A has 2000 mi on it, and my Trip B has 200 mi on it, and the calculated MPG for both go up or down about the same amount. When the Trip B Ave MPG goes up or down by 0.1, Trip A’s Ave MPG does the same shortly thereafter. If the Trip A MPG was really over 2000mi, it would change slower than the MPG averaged over 200mi.

My Volvo had the same Ave MPG calculation.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One note for everyone using the Ave MPG display on the dash. It’s based on Trip A, but only reflects the most recent 200 or so miles. It is not an average since reset, at least on 1500 DTs.

Hard to believe? I thought so too. But my Trip A has 2000 mi on it, and my Trip B has 200 mi on it, and the calculated MPG for both go up or down about the same amount. When the Trip B Ave MPG goes up or down by 0.1, Trip A’s Ave MPG does the same shortly thereafter. If the Trip A MPG was really over 2000mi, it would change slower than the MPG averaged over 200mi.

My Volvo had the same Ave MPG calculation.
i figure the mpg out with a calculator and it’s normally about 1 mpg less then what the display says

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I'm averaging 22.6 50/50, but I have the Pentastar.
Just a recent random mpg on I-40: 19’ Limited 4x, straight hemi, stock 22’s, 3.21, no mods except tint

Attachments

• 93972CDA-781C-4993-9B41-3A5FEBB43EB9.jpeg
    93972CDA-781C-4993-9B41-3A5FEBB43EB9.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 46

steveved

Reaction score
Wow, amazing to see such high mpg on some of these. I have about 30,000 miles on my e-Torque hemi with 3.21 gears. I averagle 12.1 mpg around down and have seen, at best, 21mpg while on a trip from Raleigh, NC to Charleston, SC last summer.

Users who are viewing this thread