5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

POLL: New UCAs or not with leveling kit?

Did you replace the upper control arms with your leveling kit installation?

• Yes

Votes: 24 39.3%
  • No

Votes: 37 60.7%

• Total voters

SB89

Reaction score
I’ve seen the debate a million places but curious what the numbers are...I’m considering a level on the Big Horn but unsure if I’ll need to replace the upper control arms. Stock suspension - not air - without the off road group. Interested in how many people actually swapped UCA too.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's not a black and white thing, what makes a difference is how high you're going with the lift, and what your truck sits at from the factory. Those with the Off Road Group will run out of UCA travel faster than those with the regular height trucks. For the most part, if you're staying 2" or so, you should be ok, but if you have an ORG truck, 2" could put you past the operating range of the upper ball joint. The safest bet is to use the new control arms, because they come with the MOPAR 2" lift kit, and if that doesn't tell you enough about the travel limits of the stock UCA's and upper ball joints, I don't know what will.

Caseman207

Reaction score
It's not a black and white thing, what makes a difference is how high you're going with the lift, and what your truck sits at from the factory. Those with the Off Road Group will run out of UCA travel faster than those with the regular height trucks. For the most part, if you're staying 2" or so, you should be ok, but if you have an ORG truck, 2" could put you past the operating range of the upper ball joint. The safest bet is to use the new control arms, because they come with the MOPAR 2" lift kit, and if that doesn't tell you enough about the travel limits of the stock UCA's and upper ball joints, I don't know what will.
I did a 2” level on my Bighorn ORP and was fine without the UCA. Barely changed the angle...

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did a 2” level on my Bighorn ORP and was fine without the UCA. Barely changed the angle...

There's not a lot of angle in the factory ball joints to begin with, and the issue won't be apparent at normal ride height, it will only be apparent when the ball joint is over traveled (at full droop) and something is damaged or breaks.

Caseman207

Reaction score
There's not a lot of angle in the factory ball joints to begin with, and the issue won't be apparent at normal ride height, it will only be apparent when the ball joint is over traveled (at full droop) and something is damaged or breaks.
Well...it was done at a dealership. I don’t BAJA with it. If for some reason it wears out the ball joint or breaks something they said it will be covered under warranty. I’ll take their word for it. I’m sure l’ll be just fine.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well...it was done at a dealership. I don’t BAJA with it. If for some reason it wears out the ball joint or breaks something they said it will be covered under warranty. I’ll take their word for it. I’m sure l’ll be just fine.

You do you, I'm not saying it won't be fine, I'm saying there's a reason the MOPAR went through the trouble to include extended travel upper control arms in their 2" lift kit, and that reason is because the factory one's don't have the required travel. And IF it does break, it will be from the front suspension drooping too far too quickly, and snapping the ball joint or bending the arm.

Caseman207

Reaction score
You do you, I'm not saying it won't be fine, I'm saying there's a reason the MOPAR went through the trouble to include extended travel upper control arms in their 2" lift kit, and that reason is because the factory one's don't have the required travel. And IF it does break, it will be from the front suspension drooping too far too quickly, and snapping the ball joint or bending the arm.
Like I said... I don’t drive it off road very often... maybe once a year and I’m not pounding it.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like I said... I don’t drive it off road very often... maybe once a year and I’m not pounding it.
And like I said, you do you. You know your truck, driving style, etc better than anyone else. All I was saying is: there's risks involved and here's what they are. And I wasn't targeting you specifically by any means (you quoted me), I was explaining the logic behind MOPAR's decision.

Caseman207

Reaction score
And like I said, you do you. You know your truck, driving style, etc better than anyone else. All I was saying is: there's risks involved and here's what they are. And I wasn't targeting you specifically by any means (you quoted me), I was explaining the logic behind MOPAR's decision.
No offense taken WHAT SO EVER!!! Sorry if it came off that way. I do appreciate your input!

Hawaii's Finest

Reaction score
I have not come across anyone on this forum having any issues with the stock uca’s failing due to the 2.5 spacer. At the end of the day it’s preference and how hard you drive your truck. If mines fail I will definitely post it.

deanfx

Reaction score
2" motofab. It has a little Carolina lean which I like. No UCA and they aren't needed.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have not come across anyone on this forum having any issues with the stock uca’s failing due to the 2.5 spacer. At the end of the day it’s preference and how hard you drive your truck. If mines fail I will definitely post it.
I think most of the confusion comes from folks WITHOUT the ORP (off road package). You can level a standard Ram 1500 up to 2" with no side effects. If you have the off road package you start with an extra inch on the strut already, 2 more inches and you're in the sketchy zone at full droop. You might even bang the upper into the coil depending on conditions. The aftermarket UCA gives more clearance around the coil and a better ball joint angle up to 6 or 8 inches of lift, depending on the manufacturer.

And nobody is saying you're going to drop the truck off the jackstands and the ball joint will pop... it's the off road adventure 4 years from now when you forget you're on the limits of your kit and POP, you're calling a tow truck out to the trail.

xrayeddave

Reaction score
I think most of the confusion comes from folks WITHOUT the ORP (off road package). You can level a standard Ram 1500 up to 2" with no side effects. If you have the off road package you start with an extra inch on the strut already, 2 more inches and you're in the sketchy zone at full droop. You might even bang the upper into the coil depending on conditions. The aftermarket UCA gives more clearance around the coil and a better ball joint angle up to 6 or 8 inches of lift, depending on the manufacturer.

And nobody is saying you're going to drop the truck off the jackstands and the ball joint will pop... it's the off road adventure 4 years from now when you forget you're on the limits of your kit and POP, you're calling a tow truck out to the trail.
I had to change UCAs Dealer installed leveling kit on my Ram with ORP and after about 2000 miles a clunk developed. They stated at that time there was no solution so they removed lift. I with help and advice from this forum used Rough Country UCAs and 2 1/2 motofab spacers. Truck is now level and looks awesome. No change to ride quality. If you have ORP it is only a matter of time before you have problems with out replacing UCAs

paulmtalleyjr

Reaction score
Just to confirm...and I wont be driving off road except to the beach, if you don't have the ORP then you "shouldn't" need the UCA's?

Users who are viewing this thread