5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plugged the front bumber license plate holes

mdemuysere

Reaction score
3/8...had to splay the tabs out a bit, but they held, 7 months now, still look great for a buck a pop.

I'll try that, its cold and been rain/sleet/snow here in WI and I just havnt wanted to be bothered HAHA. Luckily they are all still in the center console so I dont have to run the 30 minutes to the nearest store that has these.

DesertRebel

Reaction score
well lazy doesn't get results so I went and measured with calipers... looks to be 9.75mm (.384")... which is closest to 3/8" ... So I'm gonna order some of these https://www.amazon.com/WIDGETCO-inc...5ZCF69N15PTT&refRID=BFWYFBED5ZCF69N15PTT&th=1

Or maybe just run to Lowes and see if they have something that fits (in a color that works).

That's weird, 3/8" worked perfect in mine...

I took some pics of packaging and paint and install on truck - will post later when I have time...

Waiting on grey ones from Amazon to see if the color matches.
I've tried a couple plugs... the ones from Amazon linked above - fit but the color is a little too light (for me)... this would be a good option for anyone that wants a hassle-free decent way to plug the hole...

The ones I'm using now are from Lowes (see first pic for part #) - they are white, and fit perfect (flush and secure) - I painted them with some spray paint I had on hand (it's a little too dark, but looks like rivets in the bumper/skid plate)... I used two quick wet coats just to see what it looked like... I'll get another set and prep them better with adhesion promoter and multiple light coats (that way there's a better chance of longevity).

I haven't washed the truck or anything else to test the paint adhesion - but have been driving (paved roads around dirt fields as well as freeway) all week - they are holding up.

Kind of a long post for such a simple subject - but those plate holes bug me (as they do others here) so I thought this might help others too... The Amazon plugs are pigmented grey (more like dull silver) so no worry about chipping or fading - for anyone that might choose those... I might use them eventually - if the painted ones don't hold up.

The last pic shows the Amazon plug (upper left) compared to the painted Lowes plugs.

Sorry for the crappy pics - I had to stand at an angle so my shadow didn't block view of the plugs.

Attachments

• DSC_0305.JPG
    DSC_0305.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC_0297.JPG
    DSC_0297.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC_0298.JPG
    DSC_0298.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC_0301.JPG
    DSC_0301.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 139

PMantle

Reaction score
Just want to mention, Home Depot has the plugs too. Two of the ones I bought needed a tiny bit of expansion.

Evoixjohn

Reaction score
Hey - Thanks for sharing the retainer numbers. I picked some up over the weekend and painted them with my flame red touch up paint with clear coat. Put in this morning. They look perfect. The before and after pictures.
Which touch up paint did you up using? I also have a flame red ram.

Users who are viewing this thread