5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please help Identify Red/Brown liquid

kmblackbear

Reaction score
Alrighty... So less than 1000 miles and I noticed this small puddle under the truck. Not sure if it's Transmission fluid or something else.

It very thin/watery but it did rain today and could be diluted from water dripping off the truck.

I've had the truck parked in two positions the past couple days,one with the front end/engine close to this spot yesterday, and today with the rear end over this spot.

Any thoughts?

20200313_181649.jpg

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s not a small puddle, it’s a lake. Looks to me to be ATF, should be very noticeable from where it is coming from if you have a look. I would be freaking out if I moved my truck and found that in my garage. Have it towed to dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kmblackbear

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I already have 3 ongoing warranty issues with it... I love the truck, but c'mon Dodge.... Not making a good first impression at all.

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It might also be coolant. Chrysler's anti-freeze has a reddish color to it.

rotts4u

Reaction score
Smell of it. Coolant and tranny fluid smell very differently. If you have a dip stick for tranny compare the smell. Also feel of it, tranny fluid is slick and oil like. coolant is not.

2019Black1500

Reaction score
Unless they changed the color recently zf's transmission fluid is a green color.
6fa367743e873872de6c3f2a278a5901.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Looks like it mixed with the rain water, it's coolant

kmblackbear

Reaction score
Smell of it. Coolant and tranny fluid smell very differently. If you have a dip stick for tranny compare the smell. Also feel of it, tranny fluid is slick and oil like. coolant is not.

I'll take a look and report back. I looked last night and it was dry under the truck. When I felt the liquid and smelled it, it didn't have an odor really but we had rain so I feel it was diluted a lot by some water dripping off the truck.

kmblackbear

Reaction score
I went out this morning and it was completely dried up just a little brownish spot on the pavement. It leads me to believe it might have been a little bit of coolant. With where the truck was parked both times it doesn't seem like it would be anything from the transmission, or either differentials or transfer cases. It was more sitting underneath the spare tire and tailpipe area when I had it parked under the garage. When it was sitting outside it would be closer to the front near the radiator area.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Alrighty... So less than 1000 miles and I noticed this small puddle under the truck. Not sure if it's Transmission fluid or something else.

It very thin/watery but it did rain today and could be diluted from water dripping off the truck.

I've had the truck parked in two positions the past couple days,one with the front end/engine close to this spot yesterday, and today with the rear end over this spot.

Any thoughts?

View attachment 49468

Hi @kmblackbear - If you end up addressing this with your dealer and any additional assistance is needed for that process, please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message!

Mark
RamCares

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess the color of liquids changed since my last new car 12 years ago. :ROFLMAO:

Users who are viewing this thread