5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pleasant and unexpected surprise

Ram67

Reaction score
Well the story goes, I was in a parking lot and a fella backs into me and dents /twists the rear bumper. While the overall damage seemed insignificant, I keep my truck back in good shape. After getting a few quotes we settle on a $1250 Canadian dollar repair bill. This includes transferring the upper and lower plastic portions and sensors of my old bumper to the new one. I kept the old bumper and when I got it home I was shocked how light it was - I’m guessing 20 lbs. i could literally lift it with one finger. Doesn’t give me a warm feeling about getting rear ended. They sure don’t build them like they use to. I know these are engineered but geez, any tap will be costly.

While waiting for the bumper conversion, I struck up a conversation with a very capable young lady who works in the shop. She says she noticed the side of my box had some clear coat damage and offers to buff it out as she knows her way around compound and polishing wheels. I agree and am amazed at her skill and attention to detail. When she finished (also gave the truck a complete wash) I asked how much for this extra, she turns to me and says no charge, its our policy to go the extra mile. I was flabbergasted to say the least. I quickly pulled out $40 and said lunch was on me. She was reluctant but I was insistent.
What a great customer experience !! And this is how word of mouth works.

Attachments

• 02DDDB73-CF07-4BA0-BFE5-DD47C4A3DEBD.jpeg
    02DDDB73-CF07-4BA0-BFE5-DD47C4A3DEBD.jpeg
    263.5 KB · Views: 143
  • 1DEFB141-77A9-4592-BFF2-7F3C5D122532.jpeg
    1DEFB141-77A9-4592-BFF2-7F3C5D122532.jpeg
    168.1 KB · Views: 142

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think most modern vehicles have bumper "covers". That's why it's so light. Like grimreefer said above, the actual bumper is behind the cover.

I learned how to drive on my Dad's 1989 Toyota van. That had a rubber coated steel bumper. I remember getting rear ended, and all I did was hammer it back into shape with a rubber mallet :ROFLMAO: I also learned how to drive in the snow with that RWD van.

Last edited:

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also learned how to drive in the snow with a RWD.

Best way to learn, or at least the most fun way to learn. I still to this day rarely use 4wd in any snow, just when I need it. Otherwise I'll take some tire spin and a little counter steer and have a little fun along the way.

My first winter I had an 85 Caprice, that thing taught me how to drift and do donuts very efficiently. It also taught me how to handle rwd in the snow very well, something fun from my youth that has paid off big time over the years driving in lots of snow. Even drove from College Station Texas to Nashville during their ice and snow storms last February in 2wd, in what turned into a 16 hour super fun drive (should have taken half the time).

Our 16 year old will be learning in 2wd first on the truck once the snow starts flying here, I want her to know how to control the vehicle should it start to slip in real life.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Best way to learn, or at least the most fun way to learn. I still to this day rarely use 4wd in any snow, just when I need it. Otherwise I'll take some tire spin and a little counter steer and have a little fun along the way.

My first winter I had an 85 Caprice, that thing taught me how to drift and do donuts very efficiently. It also taught me how to handle rwd in the snow very well, something fun from my youth that has paid off big time over the years driving in lots of snow. Even drove from College Station Texas to Nashville during their ice and snow storms last February in 2wd, in what turned into a 16 hour super fun drive (should have taken half the time).

Our 16 year old will be learning in 2wd first on the truck once the snow starts flying here, I want her to know how to control the vehicle should it start to slip in real life.
Like yourself I learned how to drive in the snow in a rwd car (66 Chevelle). I've owned lots of rwd cars and trucks over the years. I'm sure you will agree there is a big difference between driving a rwd coupe or sedan in the snow, and driving a rwd pickup in the snow. Putting weight in the bed is crucial, as is using winter rated tires. Although I learned to drive in the snow in a rwd car, it doesn't mean I choose to do so now LOL. I actually have more fun in my AWD Audi now. There's a large paved lot that's usually empty near where I work that I go to play in the snow. 😁

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Although I learned to drive in the snow in a rwd car, it doesn't mean I choose to do so now LOL.
Age & experience puts things into perspective. After that RWD Toyota van, my Dad has been driving Subarus ever since :ROFLMAO:

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like yourself I learned how to drive in the snow in a rwd car (66 Chevelle). I've owned lots of rwd cars and trucks over the years. I'm sure you will agree there is a big difference between driving a rwd coupe or sedan in the snow, and driving a rwd pickup in the snow. Putting weight in the bed is crucial, as is using winter rated tires. Although I learned to drive in the snow in a rwd car, it doesn't mean I choose to do so now LOL. I actually have more fun in my AWD Audi now. There's a large paved lot that's usually empty near where I work that I go to play in the snow. 😁

66 Chevelle, that's awesome! My neighbor a couple doors down has a real nice one, can always hear when he fires it up! Definitely a lot of variables with the various rwd's, but if I'm in something new in snow I like to take it to an open parking lot and let it rip and get a feel for how the car handles with some slip. I'm so used to driving trucks though that I don't put any weight in the back, just good all terrains and I go in 2wd until it becomes too slow going to do so. We do get enough snow that I do have to use 4wd at least 5-10 times a year and I do love having it there when I need it, and even bought Brandons 4x4 switch for my last 4th gen to get the transfer case working more appropriately.

I may eventually end up using 4wd more but whatever kid that is still left in me can't resist power sliding around corners and having fun when it's snowy. Responsibly of course, I'm not doing this in tight areas where I'm going to make people nervous, time and a place of course. When I was younger (dumber) though, my regular cab did perfect donuts in our neighborhood intersection down the street lol.

Although I know how fun those AWD donuts can be too :D

Users who are viewing this thread