5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plasti Dip Wheels

Rich B.

Reaction score
I just did my chrome big horn wheels for the winter. I like how they turned out.
Looks great! Is that flat back? I'm planning on doing the same thing to my Big Horn chrome wheels as well. it will be my first time using Plasti Dip... Did you take your wheels off? or just tape the lugs and center piece? I'd like to leave mine on. I bought a Graphite Metalizer kit from Dip Your Car which includes the bags to put over your rotors and dip release to put on the tires.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Looks great! Is that flat back? I'm planning on doing the same thing to my Big Horn chrome wheels as well. it will be my first time using Plasti Dip... Did you take your wheels off? or just tape the lugs and center piece? I'd like to leave mine on. I bought a Graphite Metalizer kit from Dip Your Car which includes the bags to put over your rotors and dip release to put on the tires.
Whatever you use, here's a tip to avoid frustration later on if you decide to remove it... Trust me. I've been dipping for years.

Get enough product to apply a minimum of 5 coats. I'd go with 6 or 7. The reason for this is that a nice, thick coat will be considerably easy to peel off later on, while thin coats crumble and you end up having to rub it with alcohol and a rag or sponge to remove. I always do this and even then, I spent about three hours on all four wheels last weekend to do this.

This is not so much an issue on emblems and grilles, but wheels is tricky since a lot of nooks & crannies don't get a full coverage. and that's a ***** to remove later on. So, thicker is always better.

Cheers,

WhiteKnight4x4

Reaction score
Whatever you use, here's a tip to avoid frustration later on if you decide to remove it... Trust me. I've been dipping for years.

Get enough product to apply a minimum of 5 coats. I'd go with 6 or 7. The reason for this is that a nice, thick coat will be considerably easy to peel off later on, while thin coats crumble and you end up having to rub it with alcohol and a rag or sponge to remove. I always do this and even then, I spent about three hours on all four wheels last weekend to do this.

This is not so much an issue on emblems and grilles, but wheels is tricky since a lot of nooks & crannies don't get a full coverage. and that's a ***** to remove later on. So, thicker is always better.

Cheers,

This is great advise. I will also add, halfway through your coats, roll the truck forward 1/2 rotation. You will get a more even coat across the entire wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online