5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plasti Dip Wheels

nickplmr4

Reaction score
Has anyone done plasti dip on there lonestar chrome 20's? I've seen a couple post but they were late last year and no updates since then. Just want to see if they last before I go by the black lonestars

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Terrible idea. Pay the money and have them painted or powder coated.
And about how much does it cost to have them painted or powder coated? You can plasti-dip them for under $50.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Has anyone done plasti dip on there lonestar chrome 20's? I've seen a couple post but they were late last year and no updates since then. Just want to see if they last before I go by the black lonestars
Not a terrible idea at all. :rolleyes:

I've done this on several vehicles. Not a permanent solution but it will last a couple of years if you take care of them.

I always do this as a "dry run", to see what a particular color will look on whatever vehicle I'm driving at the time. If I decide to keep it, I then have my wheels powder coated for a permanent finish, but PD does look great, and you can always easily peel it if you don't like it or get tired of it.

Here are a few examples of my past and present vehicles:

E220D8B1-916B-4340-AEA9-17D62F9ECF3A.JPG 24C9F095-C2B0-4434-A127-17B34627AC88.JPG IMG_3117.jpeg

Cheers,

Last edited:

Fornstar

Reaction score
I go back and forth on doing mine. I hate the chrome wheels, but worried about the plasti dip looking cheap.

rrbhokies

Reaction score

I've done this on several vehicles. Not a permanent solution but it will last a couple of years if you take care of them.

I always do this as a "dry run", to see what a particular color will look on whatever vehicle I'm driving at the time. If I decide to keep it, I then have my wheels powder coated for a permanent finish, but PD does look great, and you can always easily peel it if you don't like it or get tired of it.

View attachment 33028 View attachment 33027 View attachment 33029

Cheers,
Do you take off your wheels first, or do you just mask off the calipers and rotors and do it?

rrbhokies

Reaction score
I go back and forth on doing mine. I hate the chrome wheels, but worried about the plasti dip looking cheap.
My Chrome wheels look so cheap, Plasti-Dip can only make them look better:LOL:

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score

nickplmr4

Reaction score

Lize

Reaction score
@Neurobit looks good, you have a nice finish on all the bits.
I've often wondered about plasti-dipping wheels for temporary winter protection.
On another car club site I've seen some attempts which are all patchy which was a bit off putting.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
@Neurobit looks good, you have a nice finish on all the bits.
I've often wondered about plasti-dipping wheels for temporary winter protection.
On another car club site I've seen some attempts which are all patchy which was a bit off putting.
Thanks. OCD is your friend... :LOL:

Lize

Reaction score
Yes, OCD, I think I might get some and have a practice on some wheels that don't really matter first, I'd hate for them not to look good.

Not the Ram, but I've just had some Jap import wheels I managed to pick up refurbished so I want to make sure those aren't affected by nasty salted roads. I'm going to fit big brakes so swapping back to small standard ones in winter won't be an option.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Yes, OCD, I think I might get some and have a practice on some wheels that don't really matter first, I'd hate for them not to look good.

Not the Ram, but I've just had some Jap import wheels I managed to pick up refurbished so I want to make sure those aren't affected by nasty salted roads. I'm going to fit big brakes so swapping back to small standard ones in winter won't be an option.
Awesome. Prep is key. Ensure surface is very clean, of course =) If you are doing a wheel, put fresh dressing on the tires first. That will ensure the overspray literally wipes off with a dry microfiber towel.

5 or 6 coats should do it (more coats ensure nice thick layer that is easy to peel when you’re ready to remove it later on).
First coat should be very thin, with thicker follow up coats every 5 min or so.

Good luck. Post results!

Lize

Reaction score
Thanks for tips, from what I read coats and thickness key so useful pointer there.
Will be an Autumn job, last car show is end of September and I won't do it until after that.

Rubbish photo pre-refurb but as you can see it will be very difficult to clean the barrels without taking them off and although only 20" they are very heavy.

RoadKing_Ram

Reaction score
I got a quote to powder coat my chrome 20s on my big horn gloss black for $450 for all 4 including all prep work and so fourth

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I got a quote to powder coat my chrome 20s on my big horn gloss black for $450 for all 4 including all prep work and so fourth
Good price. I paid $125 last time I had this done on my 21” AMG wheels (ea.).

Fornstar

Reaction score

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Is this just black or did you use the glossifier?
I used glossifier on all the vehicles where I used this, but on the RAM, but for some reason, it did not turn out so great on the wheels, while the emblems came out fine. Not sure why.

reigninslayer

Reaction score

View attachment 33028 View attachment 33027 View attachment 33029

Cheers,

If you leave the wheels on do you cover the lugs with tape?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread