5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Picking up our TT out of state - trip complete - thank you!

Seadoorxpguy

Reaction score
Any tire is better than the junk they put on most trailers leaving you stranded/damaged on the side of the highway. If your completely new to camper just a quick list of things you will need
rv toilet paper and tank treatment
rv jack pads(some places require them)
surge protector
clean water hose, filter and regulator
grey and black water hoses
propane tank gauges are a nice add on

llando88

Reaction score
Good luck with the tow, looks like a great camper.

I just got back to Florida from New Jersey where we picked up our new 23' travel trailer. I'd say I took most of my usual stuff for camping.

Most of my tools fit into two Harbor Freight black cloth toolbags, one medium, one small. I like the cloth bags because they don't weigh much, have handles and are easy to transport around.

The medium bag is my "hitch kit" and has what I need to hitch up. Besides things like small orange sports / soccer disks to mark my line to back into an RV spot, I put hitch spares and so forth. Also box end wrenches and sockets sized for the specific nuts/bolts on my Equal-i-zer hitch. I also carry a 1/2" click-type torque wrench.

The small bag has most of my small working tools; Picquic driver, small cordless driver, Wera screwdrivers, Gedore cutter, Rivet gun, small VOM, etc.

In a square tote in the truck I also carry a Ryobi cordless drill, a Ryobi cordless power inflator, and another cordless 1/2" impact wrench with a 21mm soft sided socket for wheel changes. Plus a kneeling pad and 5 lb fire extinguisher.

Glovebox has a small SAK I've had like forever, and a AAA headlight. Roll of paper towels, Detail spray, Aerospace 303 and Sprayway Glass cleaner / MF towels are in the left rear passenger door pocket if I need to use at a fuel stop or whatever.

Reactions: Av1

Essbaum

Reaction score
Here is another vote for the equalizer WDH. However my best advice is never go cheap on the WDH. You really do get what you pay for here.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
its not the weight that pops the tires. Its that they are just poorly made and usually when they come apart they take fenders and body work with them. Ive prob seen a few dozen campers on the side of the road ripped to shreds when one of those garbage tires lets loose
A buddy had his camper totaled when he had a blowout. It ended up cracking the frame and causing a bunch of damage.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Didn't see it mentioned specifically, but make sure you have a torque wrench.
Do you have everything to set up the travel trailer or does it come with a kit? Electric, water, sewer, leveling, etc?
Good point on the torque wrench! I have a spare 'needle' type which I could leave in the trailer. The rest is stuff I've bought and shipped/received ahead just for the sake of transport. Electric level jacks is a nice touch so it saves on doing the drill-dance at each corner
A little trick to run your trailer's running lights at night.
Very cool thank you!
While the Goodyear Endurance are good tires, IMO they are overhyped.
I went with Carlisle Radial Trail HD
I'll look into these both! I have a feeling my timeline won't allow me to swap tires on this transport, but will aim to do as soon as it's home
[...]If your completely new to camper just a quick list of things you will need
Thanks for that list! I'm completely new to ownership and have limited time with TT's, only spent time with cab-overs. I believe I bought just about everything you mentioned, I had no idea about a reqt on jack pads but that does make sense, esp on soft ground. I'll have to cut some spare plywood to keep handy as well - and propane gauges.
Good luck with the tow, looks like a great camper.
Great organization - I'm thinking the same or after I see the stowage space, building a slideout w/standardized bins perhaps. The kneeling pad is a great idea, at the least I'll always have a couple canvas drop cloths handy.
A buddy had his camper totaled when he had a blowout. It ended up cracking the frame and causing a bunch of damage.
That's wild - knock on wood I don't deal with that; I was happy to hear the trailer has steel fenders (double wall iirc) to help mitigate major damage of a blowout but you never know the extent

llando88

Reaction score
We are on the road so I thought I would add a couple things we just picked up at WalMart: A Cabin Filter Fram CF11671 ($19.97), that I swapped out here in the RV Park where we are this week. A "Tire Rack" twist-lock extending squeegee / scrubber ($6.97) for the windshield. Just might be useful to have in the truck on the road.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We are on the road so I thought I would add a couple things we just picked up at WalMart: A Cabin Filter Fram CF11671 ($19.97), that I swapped out here in the RV Park where we are this week. A "Tire Rack" twist-lock extending squeegee / scrubber ($6.97) for the windshield. Just might be useful to have in the truck on the road.
I absolutely wish I had my own squeegee - I'll be buying a permanent one for the truck for sure

I'm back with a ride report - no spoilers but it went well!

The Coachmen towed very smoothly with the 10k/1k EAZLift Elite I ended up buying (didn't install the sway control arm, wasn't a fan of drilling the tongue on day one) and the spread axle on the Coachmen seemed to take speed bumps etc very smoothly (we crossed through a few cities including downtown Portland). I'll forgot to take a pic of the trip meter (ran B unloaded, A when loaded) image into here to be exact, but over 1800mi was averaging just under 8mpg iirc. We carried 10Gal in the bed so there were no surprises on the streches where 'next services 90mi' signs were common.

I'll take more photos and specs on the unit as I add to this forum but happy to answer any questions as well. Thanks to everyone for all the advice! It was nice to know in the back of my head that we'd checked all the boxes we could before hitting the road

Parked up at home now awaiting our first trip soon!

1652128360498.png

Burnzie

Reaction score
I have considered the same, but my single axle little trailer doesn't have enough weight to pop any tire..
Let's hope not. When ours blew out the tires wiped around and broke and scuffed up the side of the 2 week old camper wrapped around the axle and even messed up the brake system. We even bought extra insurance on the trailer tires, when I called about the warranty was told only covers if we were in an accident. I didn't even know the tires blew, I just pulled over to check things out, of course that wrecked the rims also.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Let's hope not. When ours blew out the tires wiped around and broke and scuffed up the side of the 2 week old camper wrapped around the axle and even messed up the brake system. We even bought extra insurance on the trailer tires, when I called about the warranty was told only covers if we were in an accident. I didn't even know the tires blew, I just pulled over to check things out, of course that wrecked the rims also.
Oh that's terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread