5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Picking up our TT out of state - trip complete - thank you!

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2 Weeks to go! Super excited to buy our first TT - a Coachmen Freedom Express 257BHS (Coachmen Link)

I've been pouring through this subforum for a couple days now, tons of great info and reminders on towing safety.

So far towing our ski boat and a ~21' enclosed trailer have been a cakewalk, but with this TT, I'll be doing about 900mi each way for pickup and want to be as best prepared - I'm handy with a wrench, so I hope y'all can sanity check my gear and provide your suggestions & opinions on how to improve. Plus I plan to buy some new equipment (WDH, Generator, Basic TT Gear?) and could use some advice.

Truck Details:
Confirmed with the door jamb sticker as well. Stock setup, tentative 2" level puck to install later this summer, but keeping OE wheel/tire setup. Air Suspension as well (hence the lack of payload), There was a good thread on WDH Setup w/Air Suspension that I'll use when hooking up this trailer at the Dealer.
1650648074217.png
1650648147548.png
Trailer Details
1650648222164.png

Towing Math:
1396 - 300 (Driver and WDH) = 1096
1096 - 665 (Trailer HW is 11% per this calc) = 431 Payload remaining
Pretty low remaining payload but l think it'll cover the family with lunch in the cab haha. I may have to see this build with coils and eventually go that route just to reclaim a couple hundred in payload...

WDH:
This is where I'm learning as I go. A quick search online brought up some decent pricing on an EAZ Lift WDH with sway control - my BiL had great things to say and this seems like it'll do well; I know with something like this I'm ok to buy once, seems like WDH opinions are all over as are their prices
1650649084729.png

Tools:
I'll take a tool kit with me with Wrenches / Sockets / 18v impact driver / straps / flat repair / jump box / lights and the usual things you'd take for a long trip and unexpected repairs - are there any TT specific things one would say is almost a must have? The only item I can think of is to take a full floor jack (or bottle jack?) or a wheel ramp to help change a tandem axle tire if required. Oh and full rubber wheel chocks as well.

Generators:
Not required on this trip, but I might camp a night or two on the way back, plus I hit a tax free state on my way and might as well buy a few bigger ticket items I'm looking for.
1650652697345.png

I'm leaning toward a 4250W Open Frame Inverter Gen (Champion Link) - This is a dual fuel model but they make a gas only; The flexibility to run LP would be nice but not necessary; the running wattage does drop a bit but iirc using LP will keep the cylinder a bit cleaner no? 64dba rating should be safe (or no?) I plan to have some sound deflecting panels in the truck to help damp the sound. I've seen similar competitively priced units from Westinghouse,, WEN and a few others before climbing into Yamaha/Honda territory.
and it's pull start - a friend recommended remote start but of course that'll add weight to the unit and this sucker's pretty compact at roughly a 20" cube vs many others. Seems like the minimum wattage to allow AC use with a cushion of power for other things if needed, rather than parallellng two smaller units.

Back up Camera:
The TT doesn't have it stock - it's overpriced to have the dealer install it so I'll have to handle it after the trip. Looking at a 4 Camera wireless system with either a 7" screen (~400) or a 10" screen (~500) with a DVR which would be a good safety net when travelling. If you've got an amazing recommendation (or one to avoid) lmk. I suppose might as well go 10" for ease of split screen view/usability
1650652746134.png

Front Hitch:
This will be a later addition but thinking it'll really aid me in threading this into parking at home - I've been following the front hitch threads for a while, I'm ok cutting an 'access panel' into the rebel's tin 'skid plate' and just creating a license plate mount to keep it tidy.

I think that's it... for now! Lots to learn and I plan to post updates and share my experience for anyone going down this path as well

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Air Suspension as well (hence the lack of payload)
I may have to see this build with coils and eventually go that route just to reclaim a couple hundred in payload...
The air suspension only reduces payload by ~35 lbs, not hundreds of pounds

Setup/adjustment of the WDH with the air suspension can be tricky.
Take your time.

I prefer bars over chains for WDH

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The air suspension only reduces payload by ~35 lbs, not hundreds of pounds
wow really? Man I thought the compressor, tanks and lines etc would weigh at least 100 anyway - I suppose eTq's MGU and battery pack aren't doing me any favors in payload.
*edit* I failed to mention I would consider gutting the air system and replacing with springs to reduce some overall weight if it gave me trouble., not just the issue of payload being lower due to the mechanics of the air system itself but solid point!
Setup/adjustment of the WDH with the air suspension can be tricky.
Take your time.
I found this thread here and the steps seem straightforward but I'm sure it's finnaky. The dealer's tech will be installing and adjusting before I leave (of course I'll do so with them)
I prefer bars over chains for WDH
Good tip! I've been hearing that and am looking for a bar style unit as well.

Thanks for the reply!

Last edited:

NRitland2

Reaction score
Look at a fastway e2 1000/10000 set up.
Just about got mine dialed in.. Keystone bullet 250bhs

Good luck

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Save yourself the headache and change out the 4 china bomb tires on the camper asap
No joke I just watched a video about that not 5 minutes ago - I'll probably add wireless tpms while I'm at at to keep an eye on over/under pressure as well

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use a Husky Centerline WDH, has been good. I had it on my previous 2 Rams(one with air suspension) and will be using it with my new Ram. I tow a Solaire 240BHS. Look at the Andersen hitch system, everyone I have talked to about it love it.

Birdman_2000

Reaction score
Remember to inflate your tires a bit. I bump up to 50ish on the rear when towing. Never really did that in prior towing, but TT's catch so much air they tend to make the truck want to wiggle a little more.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
AMEN TO THAT, we had 2 tires blow on the same side of our new TT, 2nd trip out changed to 10 ply all around .
I have considered the same, but my single axle little trailer doesn't have enough weight to pop any tire..

Seadoorxpguy

Reaction score
its not the weight that pops the tires. Its that they are just poorly made and usually when they come apart they take fenders and body work with them. Ive prob seen a few dozen campers on the side of the road ripped to shreds when one of those garbage tires lets loose

Burnzie

Reaction score
its not the weight that pops the tires. Its that they are just poorly made and usually when they come apart they take fenders and body work with them. Ive prob seen a few dozen campers on the side of the road ripped to shreds when one of those garbage tires lets loose
That's what happened to us, brand new camper scratched all to ****

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lots of tire replacement suggestions - I’ll definitely check age as likely I won’t have a chance to swap them while picking up…

Great tips on the various WDH options - I’m going to try a sway control equipped EAZ and equalizer with a similar weighted enclosed trailer just to get an idea

Other than that I’m packing a pretty comprehensive kit for the road with tools, lights, fluids, air, batteries etc

OBX_Rebel

Reaction score
You will get a lot of tire suggestions for the camper, I know I did for mine. I went with Good Year Endurance tires on my trailer after years of thinking about it (and one nasty blowout that ripped the side of the trailer apart. So far, the Good Year tires (two years now and about 2000 miles) have been great. One thing I noticed between trips is that they hold air a lot better than the originals. I was always topping off the air between trip, but the Good Years have just held the pressure better. I also noticed when I had them put on, they have a much harder and less flexible sidewall than the other tires. I noticed you have a Rebel, I do too. I tow a camper a little heavy than yours, but still within the capability envelope of the truck. I put AirLift 1000's and helwig sway bar on my truck. Those two items made a big difference when it comes to ride and comfort when towing. I personally am a fan of the Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH (chain type) over the solid bar WDH, but that is just a matter of preference I think. I have tried many WDH setups and they all seem to perform well.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put AirLift 1000's and helwig sway bar on my truck. Those two items made a big difference when it comes to ride and comfort when towing. I personally am a fan of the Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH (chain type) over the solid bar WDH, but that is just a matter of preference I think. I have tried many WDH setups and they all seem to perform well.
thanks for the info and the suggestions!

I’ll definitely look into Goodyears for the tires - Yes, I have a rebel air ride but I am definitely thinking of the hellwig swaybar, I feel like the tail end of this wiggles a lot, I should order it already

I’m getting a chain style wdh this weekend, getting down to 7 days to pickup!

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Didn't see it mentioned specifically, but make sure you have a torque wrench.

Do you have everything to set up the travel trailer or does it come with a kit? Electric, water, sewer, leveling, etc?

Users who are viewing this thread