5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshopped - Blacked Out Limited

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
this looks great!! who's truck is this? unfortunately for me i have NO time to keep it looking this great. i wonder what they did to the chrome grill? need more info @Jared B .

Not too sure, I saw it on Facebook. As far as I know the grille and chrome trim has been vinyl wrapped. I'm trying to figure out if anyone makes a vinyl wrap that matches with Granite Crystal, if so I think my decision is made on what trim level I'm going with.

mikemcfarland

Reaction score
Not too sure, I saw it on Facebook. As far as I know the grille and chrome trim has been vinyl wrapped. I'm trying to figure out if anyone makes a vinyl wrap that matches with Granite Crystal, if so I think my decision is made on what trim level I'm going with.

all that work and $ spent. still chrome tow hooks for $145.00 us? - not sure if the black ones available now- but just nit picking .
this will definitely get a few excited.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If they have a PPF pattern its just a matter of substituting a different film. I think I was on one of the PPF sites and they had some of the patterns out.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
Ahh, this is awesome thanks for sharing! I definitely love this look with the limited headlights!
I was debating getting the chrome trim pieces wrapped, but I can't imagine it would be easy to wrap the grille with all the intricate mesh. I was just thinking maybe painting it?

Jared B could you get any more info on how the owner did this? Looks great though!

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
all that work and $ spent. still chrome tow hooks for $145.00 us? - not sure if the black ones available now- but just nit picking .
this will definitely get a few excited.
Actually I kind of like having the chrome hooks as a nice accent piece.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
this looks great!! who's truck is this? unfortunately for me i have NO time to keep it looking this great. i wonder what they did to the chrome grill? need more info @Jared B .
Actually upon closer inspection.. I think they left the chrome grill alone and just wrapped the edges..

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually upon closer inspection.. I think they left the chrome grill alone and just wrapped the edges..

Yeah, just wrapped the surround. I'll see if I can try and track down whos truck it is, but I do remember them saying that they had the pieces vinyl wrapped.

Viking84

Reaction score
Any chance you could do a picture of a black grill on a granite grey truck? Would be interesting to see if the contrast looked good or not! Matching the colour with a vinyl wrap might be difficult and I fear it will look a bit bland.

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score

I have been looking for the same thing. I am not a fan of chrome. I just ordered a grey metallic vinyl wrap sample to see if it would match. I stopped by a dealer and compared quick on a trip this Saturday. It was close, but it would be might be noticeable a difference. I would like to see the chrome color matched on a grey metallic grill, but I am not handy with photoshop. The best I could do editing was the Fuel Coupler wheels in my avatar and that was a stretch.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
Anyone who owns a limited, can you check the grille trim pieces and let me know if it is metal or plastic? I was thinking I might powder coat the grille but that would mean it need to be metal.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
Guys I added a third option , please see my original post at the top. Can you rank the three pictures from your most preferred to least? I am trying to figure out what I want to do :) Much appreciated

Boatjockey

Reaction score
Guys I added a third option , please see my original post at the top. Can you rank the three pictures from your most preferred to least? I am trying to figure out what I want to do :) Much appreciated
The top pic looks the best in my opinion. I am not a fan of the totally blacked out vehicles but what do I know, I am not a kid anymore (50 makes you officially an old fart, right). I went with the Limited and kept all the chrome.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
The top pic looks the best in my opinion. I am not a fan of the totally blacked out vehicles but what do I know, I am not a kid anymore (50 makes you officially an old fart, right). I went with the Limited and kept all the chrome.
I like the all blacked out version, but also I like how the chrome makes the limited look "fancy". I don't like all chrome though, so I thought that third option (with the chrome front skirt) might look nicer? Do you prefer that over the all chrome grille or vice versa?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
^^^ This ^^^
Caveat Emptor - My last two vehicles (X5 and GL550) were all blacked out.

Here’s an idea you may want to try. Buy several cans of plastidip and go to town blacking out what you want.
This way, you can see what you like and tweak as necessary. I did this on my last two vehicles, and once I drove it like that for a few weeks, I def knew if I wanted to make it permanent. If you decide you don’t like it, you can easily peel it off and start over or stay stock.

I’m thinking about doing it to my RAM's 22s. I may go like that for a few months and then revert back to stock when I get tired of it.

BTW, plastidip is surprisingly durable. I sold my GL and all the front and rear bumper parts and grill were still intact after two years (had wheels powder coated since I loved the look).

Examples below.

Wheels, grill inserts, emblems, exhaust.
GL had metallic dark grey, and Beemer black semi-gloss.

Cheers,
Neurobit
IMG_1310.jpg IMG_1328.jpg IMG_1332.jpg IMG_3885.jpg IMG_3887.jpg IMG_3912.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread