5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phone Holder?

ChryslerVette

Reaction score
The center stack, down below the info screen there is the little shelf for a cell phone.
Some come with a wireless charger, and some don't.
I was wondering if anyone, actually uses it on this forum??
It seems like a last minute, thrown together afterthought, the placement is bad, the phone doesn't fit in the holder very good,
and isn't very functional. :confused: I know it's a small issue in the grand scheme of Life, but i was just curious what Y'all thought?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I used it every since I got the truck. Then I installed the factory charger and still use it. But the factory charger is a POS and a waste of money. You would be better off with an aftermarket unti.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

jj141979

Reaction score
My son has a 2017 Rebel and the phone holder is sort of the same design... but better! Your right its right under all the center controls and holds my phone to tight! My sons is up higher and alot easier to get your phone in and out

HemiDude

Reaction score
That;s actually where I put my phone every time I get in the truck. Plug it in for carplay, them stuff it in that holder. Sits there securely until I leave the truck

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I use my phone holder every time I drive my truck. It's the perfect spot, holds the phone securely, and charges wirelessly. What's not to like?

I see a lot of aftermarket holders that mount the phone up high above the vents. I don't look at my phone while driving, so those don't appeal to me.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
It seems perfect for my phone. Every other vehicle the cup holder is the phone holder.

Funny side note, on a 2020 Wrangler there is a slot between the cup holders that the salesman told me was a phone holder. I had thought, that is messed up, you can just snap your phone in half with it sticking up there. Yea, it's a slot to hold the key fob. Why Ram did not do the same I don't know. Great spot for the fob.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
IMO the placement of the holder is a pretty good spot. Only complaint from me is I wish it was a fast charger.
Heck, I wish mine was a charger. Cheap *** Bighorn. Really wish it was a charger and wireless Android Auto but you know what they say, wish in one hand, **** in the other.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I agree with the others about it being a great spot. No need to look at my phone while I'm driving. I use my AC vents for air flow, and don't want a phone holder blocking one. And my cup holders see plenty of use so the WT phone holder wouldn't work for me either. And I haven't had any issues with the wireless charger. My iphone 12 fits perfectly, even with a case.

HemiDude

Reaction score
It seems perfect for my phone. Every other vehicle the cup holder is the phone holder.

Funny side note, on a 2020 Wrangler there is a slot between the cup holders that the salesman told me was a phone holder. I had thought, that is messed up, you can just snap your phone in half with it sticking up there. Yea, it's a slot to hold the key fob. Why Ram did not do the same I don't know. Great spot for the fob.
Yea, it's a slot to hold the key fob. Why Ram did not do the same I don't know. Great spot for the fob.
I agree with you on the fob holder. Always threw my fob in one of the cup holders on my Big Horn. Took me exactly 1 day to appreciate what Ram did with the GT:
C74CB18A-9080-4793-931A-22E226F264C8.jpeg
0705F95E-514A-4E60-9432-A498A898F7FF.jpeg

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I agree with you on the fob holder. Always threw my fob in one of the cup holders on my Big Horn. Took me exactly 1 day to appreciate what Ram did with the GT:
View attachment 126607
View attachment 126608
Yea, I still miss the days when my key fob was made from a small flat piece of metal and a holder was built right into the steering column.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since i have a very bad habit of not turning on the bluetooth to pair the phone. The placement is very bad for me.
This is what i use. Cheap purchase about 5 years ago. Magnet 20220416_182552.jpg 20220416_182516.jpg

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the phone holder either. I dont have the wireless charger option and for me it's in an awkward place

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I have a case that doubles as a wallet so my iphone doesn't fit in the factory holder. I would use it if I had a regular case again though.
My phone goes under the lid in the center console now that I added wireless carplay. If it needs a charge, I just drop it in one of the cupholders.
Prior to wireless carplay, it pretty much lived in the passenger cupholder.

Grimgreg

Reaction score
My phone tends to stay in my pocket, unless I am on a long drive and need to charge, then I plug in and shove it in the slot where the CD player used to be. I tried the holder and my phone flipped out and fell into the console the first time I left a stop light.

As for the fob, it lives on a carabiner on my belt loop.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
My phone tends to stay in my pocket, unless I am on a long drive and need to charge, then I plug in and shove it in the slot where the CD player used to be. I tried the holder and my phone flipped out and fell into the console the first time I left a stop light.

As for the fob, it lives on a carabiner on my belt loop.
That is what I do with the giant fob too.

Reverse

Reaction score
Since i have a very bad habit of not turning on the bluetooth to pair the phone. The placement is very bad for me.
This is what i use. Cheap purchase about 5 years ago. Magnet View attachment 126609 View attachment 126610

You could program an NFC chip to trigger your phone to switch on bluetooth whenever it gets near it. Place nfc chip by the charger and problem solved. This works great on Android, not sure about iPhone.

Users who are viewing this thread