5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phone Charging Question.

2001gw

Reaction score
Got a new phone today. A Galaxy S22 (Verizon). When I put in on the wireless charging pad at the front of the console, I get red blinking light and the phone does not appear to be charging. Is an Android or Samsung phone not compatible to the RAM's wireless charger?

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Got a new phone today. A Galaxy S22 (Verizon). When I put in on the wireless charging pad at the front of the console, I get red blinking light and the phone does not appear to be charging. Is an Android or Samsung phone not compatible to the RAM's wireless charger?
Wireless chargers are pretty universal. It is simple technology so it will work with you phone. 1. Make sure you have the option (my Bighorn does not) 2. Move the phone around a bit. It has to sit just right. 3. Curse a little and try #2 again. 4. Take the case off and try #2.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
It should be compatible. My Pixel 6 does that from time to time. It's too tall to fit standing up so I have to lay it sideways and push it all the way to the left edge of the charger. If I don't have it perfectly it won't charge.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
Wireless chargers are pretty universal. It is simple technology so it will work with you phone. 1. Make sure you have the option (my Bighorn does not) 2. Move the phone around a bit. It has to sit just right. 3. Curse a little and try #2 again. 4. Take the case off and try #2.
Good point, if you have a case that has a magnetic holder on the back of it, it won't work.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
It should be compatible. My Pixel 6 does that from time to time. It's too tall to fit standing up so I have to lay it sideways and push it all the way to the left edge of the charger. If I don't have it perfectly it won't charge.
Yes and like you point out, it kind of has to sit in just the right spot.

Rick J

Reaction score
I have a Samsung S21 5G and it works fine. My S20 didn't work with the Otter Box cover I had on it (worked with the cover off) but the S21 works with a thinner cover. As others have said, you need to have it in the right position.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Yup, this ^^^

I find it much easier to simply plug my phone into the adjacent C charging ports.
Really? I think I have missed the sweet spot for the Ram Charger twice...I slid the phone over 1/2" and the light turned blue again. I understand that wireless charging has limitations, but I'm surprised that so many are having problems. You would think after a few tries, anyone could get the phone in the proper spot.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Pixel 5 can go pretty much anywhere on the pad and "charge". I put charge in quotes because its more like a slow trickle discharge using wireless Android Auto/Navigation. It's a pretty power sipping phone too. I would imagine a Pixel 6 and an S22 wouldn't charge worth a flip on it. 😝 Isn't it only a 10 watt pad?

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My Pixel 5 can go pretty much anywhere on the pad and "charge". I put charge in quotes because its more like a slow trickle discharge using wireless Android Auto/Navigation. It's a pretty power sipping phone too. I would imagine a Pixel 6 and an S22 wouldn't charge worth a flip on it. 😝 Isn't it only a 10 watt pad?
A lot of manufacturers (maybe all for all I know) cap their wireless charging wattage. My Pixel 3 was capped at 10W with the Google charger and 5W with anything else.

My S22 Ultra caps at 15W. I believe the Pixel 6 Pro is the same.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
I'll have to see what my 6 pro does otw home tonight. I have about a 35min drive so I'll make sure my phone stays at like 65% and see what it's at when I get home.

drew7811

Reaction score
Really? I think I have missed the sweet spot for the Ram Charger twice...I slid the phone over 1/2" and the light turned blue again. I understand that wireless charging has limitations, but I'm surprised that so many are having problems. You would think after a few tries, anyone could get the phone in the proper spot.
That's what I was thinking. You can see the square charging pad pretty clearly. Perhaps on future generations they can make the pad a little larger.

n8zcc

Reaction score
The first problem is the phone has to go sideways because it is too tall to make contact with the charging pad (S21 Ultra) and then the phone blocks the blue light. The second issue is I have to remove the phone from its case to get it to fit into the holder, next, when the phone is down there it doesn't always get the best reception when I'm away from the big cities (I live rural) making Android Auto's map act up, and last, it charges way too slow.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A lot of manufacturers (maybe all for all I know) cap their wireless charging wattage. My Pixel 3 was capped at 10W with the Google charger and 5W with anything else.

My S22 Ultra caps at 15W. I believe the Pixel 6 Pro is the same.
They are. My 5 will do 12 watt but at 10 watts it's a break even at best affair.

Users who are viewing this thread