5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phaser Pin Sheared Off - New Engine

sjwarden

Reaction score
New to the forum. Looking for some guidance.

2021 Big Horn 5.7 e-torque. Engine started running badly, very badly. Took to dealer, from my understanding, reading the work orders, the cam phaser pin had sheared off, this resulted in valves hitting pistons and other carnage.

New long block installed under warranty. Warranty repair experience was great, and everything seems to be working well now.

But, my truck had a only 19,000 miles when this happened.

Is this a common failure? Will it happen again? Is this a known issue on just a few trucks that I just bad lucked into, and now I don’t have to worry about it cuz it is remedied for good?

I don’t want to have this happen again after my warranty is expired and be looking at another replacement engine out of pocket.

Any thoughts appreciated. I love the truck, but it needs to be reliable.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

2021 Big Horn 5.7 e-torque. Engine started running badly, very badly. Took to dealer, from my understanding, reading the work orders, the cam phaser pin had sheared off, this resulted in valves hitting pistons and other carnage.

New long block installed under warranty. Warranty repair experience was great, and everything seems to be working well now.

Is this a common failure? Will it happen again? Is this a known issue on just a few trucks that I just bad lucked into, and now I don’t have to worry about it cuz it is remedied for good?

I don’t want to have this happen again after my warranty is expired and be looking at another replacement engine out of pocket.

It's not a common issue, but it is a documented issue that effects very few engines. You usually only see it happen to guys who have modified their engines for more horsepower, or race them a lot. I wouldn't worry about it. You still have almost half you warranty left.

HAL9001

Reaction score
It's been more of an issue on Ford trucks than on others.

austin76

Reaction score

i have a 2020 1500 laramie with e-torque..i had this issue at 14,000 miles. when it first started i would hear like a grinding sound from the motor when i would slow down. almost like a really muffled jake brake on a diesel..i called the dealership told them what was going on and brought it to them. they assured me it was a normal sound of the e-torque and i told them at no time in those 14k miles have i ever heard that..a week goes by and it progressively gets louder and louder so i called them back and they said the same thing and since there were no codes there was nothing to do or check. two days later the truck shuts off on me twice and sounds absolutely terrible. now we have a check engine light. limped it to the dealership and they checked it out. cam shaft pin sheared. they replaced the pin and cam but said there was no other damage to the motor..surprise surprise im at 19,000 miles and i have that same sound again🙃🙃.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not good. Sounds like you went to a poor service department, I would suggest looking into the reputations of some other service departments near you, so you can get it fixed right. This is not an overly common issue, but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't have been able to diagnose it and repair correctly

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It happens, we recently had a 2021 with 2700 miles with the same issue. Pistons slammed the valves, needed an engine. Star case for 2021 models applies.

Attachments

• 80acfb32-b431-4043-81f4-af06ff5656b3.pdf
    665 KB · Views: 29

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had the misfortune of working on Fords with the issue. A lot of guys elect to not go back with VVT and instead lock the cams like a traditional V8 so it doesn't happen again.

austin76

Reaction score
Not good. Sounds like you went to a poor service department, I would suggest looking into the reputations of some other service departments near you, so you can get it fixed right. This is not an overly common issue, but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't have been able to diagnose it and repair correctly
i have had a hard time with the dealership.they replaced the camshaft pin, camshaft, and the camshaft phaser. whenever i got it back everything seemed to be fixed. a couple months later my ac clutch seized up..im gonna go on a limb and say that was due to them when they took it off and put it back on..here we are 5k miles later and the same noise is back. id imagine its a defect in the camshaft pin material or a computer issue that causes the pin to get stuck.super frustrating. this will be the 5th time going in for warranty work. i love the truck its awesome and super comfortable but i think its time to cut my losses and head over to gmc.

Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score
i have had a hard time with the dealership.they replaced the camshaft pin, camshaft, and the camshaft phaser. whenever i got it back everything seemed to be fixed. a couple months later my ac compressor seized up..im gonna go on a limb and say that was due to them when they took it off and put it back on..here we are 5k miles later and the same noise is back. id imagine its a defect in the camshaft pin material or a computer issue that causes the pin to get stuck.super frustrating. this will be the 5th time going in for warranty work. i love the truck its awesome and super comfortable but i think its time to cut my losses and head over to gmc.

AC compressor seizing wouldn't have anything to do with the work they did. Has anyone cut open the oil filter?

austin76

Reaction score
AC compressor seizing wouldn't have anything to do with the work they did. Has anyone cut open the oil filter?
i meant the clutch. not that im aware of. they did send the heads off to be checked but said there was no damage

BowDown

Reaction score
i meant the clutch. not that im aware of. they did send the heads off to be checked but said there was no damage
Heads would have visible damage, not sure why they'd need to send them off, sounds like a lie.

AC clutch/compressor , neither would have had any impact by them changing the cam.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I would go to a different dealership. Not all mechanics are trained the same.....

Look at the OP, he got his problem fixed and all is good.

austin76

Reaction score
I would go to a different dealership. Not all mechanics are trained the same.....

Heads would have visible damage, not sure why they'd need to send them off, sounds like a lie.

AC clutch/compressor , neither would have had any impact by them changing the cam.
no clue, just what they told me. i do have a copy of the ticket from the shop they sent it to have them inspected. pretty sure the ac clutch has to be removed to get to the cam.

austin76

Reaction score

for sure. will call the neighboring dealership monday if it last that long. the op doesnt say how long ago they had the issue fixed. i had the camshaft and whatnot replaced in april at 14k miles. here we are in november at 19k miles and the same issue is beginning.

HemiDude

Reaction score
that bad? even if it is, can it be worse than what i have right now? lol lemme go see though
If you love the truck other than this particular set of issues, and your situation is fairly unusual, why not just write the truck itself off as being a turd, rather than the whole brand? We've all had bad girlfriends, but we didn't write off the whole female persuasion ;)

Users who are viewing this thread