5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

People with SUVs: how does your RAM ride quality compare?

jastevenson

Reaction score
For folks who own SUVs, such as Ford Explorer, Honda Pilot, etc: how do you think your ride quality (impact harshness or bumpiness over uneven pavement) compare?

Also, please specify what type of suspension you have (regular coils, off-road package/Rebel coils, or air suspension).

Thanks!

spinxt

Reaction score
For folks who own SUVs, such as Ford Explorer, Honda Pilot, etc: how do you think your ride quality (impact harshness or bumpiness over uneven pavement) compare?

Also, please specify what type of suspension you have (regular coils, off-road package/Rebel coils, or air suspension).

Thanks!
I have a 14’ Grand Cherokee and my Ram rides every bit as nice on trips as the GC. That said, the GC smokes the Ram in off road and snow performance.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
I traded my 17 Ridgeline RTLE last night for a 2020 Laramie Longhorny. Air suspension.
Ride is stiffer, but plush and well damped. Less truck-ish than the F150s I test drove.
Less refined ride than the Honda, but the Honda didn't like towing my Backhoe so...

Last edited:

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Came from a Jeep SRT and the ram rides much better (kind of expected as SRT is stiff). I have air suspension.

I find the ram is better in the snow as well. I have dedicated snow tires.

WasatchBack

Reaction score
Compared to our Durango R/T, ( or any SUV really) it soaks up small and large bumps better, meaning less jarring, less transmitting of the movement into your body. With that benefit comes a very different ride feeling though. It's more floaty (not bad just different). It took some getting used to from the family on long trips, initially the kids said they felt a bit nauseous coming from stiff riding cars/ SUVs. Think this is a difference between trucks and all else. Compared to the Ram, I thought F150s were still jarring and floaty, and did not handle, track nearly as well as the Ram. Ram was the closest feeling to a large SUV compared to the other trucks I drove.

Have a Laramie w/ air suspension.

R

Rob5589

Kia Sorento, rides much more "car like" which is to be expected. The Ram rides significantly better than the 03 Silverado it replaced, also to be expected.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Traded my '16 Pilot Touring for my Limited with Air.

Rides like a LARGE SUV (Pilot being a mid-size SUV). Ride quality is OUTSTANDING - especially compared to everything else out there in it's class.

I put a rear sway bar in to counter the roll.

I've owned Tahoe's, Suburbans - I think this RAM rides better than any of them.

Friends that ride in it are, frankly, ASTONISHED.

If you're looking for that legendary "shake-n-bake" pickup truck ride - LOOK ELSEWHERE - because you won't find it here (at least not in the higher trim levels, I only drove Limited when testing, so that's my frame of reference).

Rick

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a 14’ Grand Cherokee and my Ram rides every bit as nice on trips as the GC. That said, the GC smokes the Ram in off road and snow performance.
Son has the 14’ Cherokee Ltd, it has a close to comparable (non-air suspension) ride and definitely is capable on slick roads, even with the lowest AWD system.
My 14’ Ford Edge (coils) is a bit stiffer than his Jeep, 20’s could be part of it, but nothing is even close to the air suspension Ltd 1500.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick J

Reaction score
I don't have an SUV to compare to but last night my wife and I were going to dinner and I was driving her 2014 Honda Odyssey. I commented on the lousy ride quality. She commented that I used to say it rode nice. I replied, that was when I had my F150 but now that I have the RAM Limited, her van is a lousy ride by comparison.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2019 GC and 2019 Ram limited, both air suspension. Truck rides better because of the longer wheel base.

cra1g

Reaction score
I have a 2014 GC Summit with air suspension, and I'd say it's very close to the same ride as the truck (also air suspension), but there are certain circumstances (going over rough railroad tracks, for one) where the truck is better.

79 300

Reaction score
We have a Grand Cherokee with air suspension as well, and I think the Ram is as smooth or smoother riding than the Jeep. My son says it is a Chrysler 300 with a bed. I have owned dozens of vehicles over the years, and I can say this Ram 1500 is the nicest driving and riding I have ever owned.

Cravenfan

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Honda Pilot Touring, the 2nd most maxed out model, down one from the Elite. I've got to say, my 2020 Ram Limited 1500 rides better. Similar, but the truck just seems to eat up the bumps and potholes. The truck just feels more cushioned so far to me. Some of it may be the larger sized tires, but I think the air ride suspension is just stellar. I'll have to hop back and forth and do some more A, B comparisons, but that's my initial impression, the Ram has an amazing ride feel to it.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Our Ram has a much more forgiving ride than our Audi Q5. However, the Audi has superb cornering capabilities.

19ramsport

Reaction score
My Ram with 22's rides great and absorbs bumps and cracks/holes in the road without making much noise at all. The wife's 17 Honda Pilot with 20's rides much rougher and makes a lot noise hitting the same cracks/holes in the roads. I've read other Pilot owners complaining about the same suspension noise. Might have to consider something else next time although I've been a Honda fan and owned several of their models over the years.

Bhew123

Reaction score
We have an 18 Escalade and I traded my 18 Ltz duramax 2500 on a Laramie 1500 (no air suspension and no off-road). The ram rides just as good as the Escalade if not better. Takes the bumps substantially better than the duramax. Went to buy a limited 2500 in June and was hoping for a full rear seat (we have 2 kids under 3) and once my wife saw the sad excuse of a middle seat still in use (previously owned a 16 stick shift 2500 Cummins). We switched to a gladiator rubicon because my truck had become the 3rd car with her company car being driven mostly and then the guy told me I could buy a Laramie for 40k with the pano and 12 in screen and we were sold. My wife is looking forward to the grand wagoneer release because we are so satisfied with the ride quality and features for the money.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Honda Pilot Touring, the 2nd most maxed out model, down one from the Elite. I've got to say, my 2020 Ram Limited 1500 rides better. Similar, but the truck just seems to eat up the bumps and potholes. The truck just feels more cushioned so far to me. Some of it may be the larger sized tires, but I think the air ride suspension is just stellar. I'll have to hop back and forth and do some more A, B comparisons, but that's my initial impression, the Ram has an amazing ride feel to it.

Came out of a 16 touring - so we're comparing apples to apples between us.

Ram is worlds above the touring in ride quality - and I put 90K miles in my Honda.

GET THE SWAYBAR!!!

Rick

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The only true SUV I've ever owned, if Jeep Wranglers don't count, was a Nissan Pathfinder. This truck rides way nicer and is light years quieter.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I've had several SUVs over the years, my RAM Rebel with springs and 33" tires set at the OEM 55/45 psi rides pretty much as well as most of my previous vehicles, maybe just at touch less cushy than my Expedition, but not by much, similar to all or better than my other full size, including my 2015 F150.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
P
I've had several SUVs over the years, my RAM Rebel with springs and 33" tires set at the OEM 55/45 psi rides pretty much as well as most of my previous vehicles, maybe just at touch less cushy than my Expedition, but not by much, similar to all or better than my other full size, including my 2015 F150.
pretty darn good for a Rebel to ride like a (stock) F150 from what I remember of my 2015 ride.

Users who are viewing this thread