5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pedal Commander has thrown Check Engine Light

JohnGow383

Reaction score
Brand new RAM 1500 Limited. Dealer had installed the pedal commander before I picked it up at my request and drove it back home with it turned off during the break in period.
The next day (yesterday), sitting in my drive I decided to try it. I downloaded the app and paired it to Bluetooth with the engine on and in idle. I was just testing the app seeing how to change between modes when it suddenly came up a throttle error and CEL.
I switched off vehicle and restarted and CEL is still there. Left it over night and CEL still on. Dropped the kids off at school and came home, it was driving fine with it off. Read on the PC site to completely remove the unit and return back to stock and start and stop engine 5 to 6 times. I did this, even opening door and waiting a couple of minutes to put into sleep mode but it just wont clear. I tried maybe 10 times. I don't have any OBD device to clear that way. Will this CEL clear by itself or is there an easier way without having to fork out money at a garage? I am now very skeptical to actually use it or not. I wasn't hitting the gas or anything but I did rev in between mode changes. I may have also selected ECO mode on the app.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
You need to see what the code is actually saying before you can do anything. If you don’t have an OBD2 reader, stop by autozone. They can read it for you.

JohnGow383

Reaction score
You need to see what the code is actually saying before you can do anything. If you don’t have an OBD2 reader, stop by autozone. They can read it for you.
Well I know it's from the pedal commander. Is there an easy way to reset this light wothout having to take it in? If I disconnect the main battery and reconnect, how long does it take to reboot. Vehicle only 2 days olds so not worried about losing settings etc.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Remove it, then pull the battery terminals off for 10 mins then reconnect it CEL should be cleared…..

And last thing you want is a dealer installing or even seeing that pedal commander in there. Makes it easy for them to lay blame and void the warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JohnGow383

Reaction score
Remove it, then pull the battery terminals off for 10 mins then reconnect it CEL should be cleared…..

And last thing you want is a dealer installing or even seeing that pedal commander in there. Makes it easy for them to lay blame and void the warranty.

Ok I will try that thanks. My only concern is will this cause the apps and cameras to stop working as that's what I've read.

JohnGow383

Reaction score
After reading about issues with this thing I'm not sure iwant to even try and re-install it. Waste of money. People are saying they have had throttle go WOT without touching peddal etc. If it becomes a safety issue I think I'll just forget about it.

BNeal

Reaction score
My nephew is a service writer at a dealership and when I was considering the PC he told me about numerous nightmare situations after installing them. I decided I can live with the lazy accerater.

MXZGUY

Reaction score
I had one also for my 6.4 Hemi in my 2500. Worked just fine at first then one day put truck into limp mode. Got home disconnected started truck, all fine and never hooked up again. Never a issue again.

JohnGow383

Reaction score
It's removed and disconnected battery for around 20mins. Re-connected battery and CEL (or Malfunction Indicator Warning Light (MIL) as RAM calls it) has successfully cleared.
Surprised as my profile settings are still saved and the cameras are working. Only thing I noticed was that the lock button on the door handle didn't seem to work so just locked the vehicle with the key fob.
My anti-theft tracker company phoned me 5mins after disconnecting saying my battery was disconnected is the car safe 😂 Big Brother is watching

JohnGow383

Reaction score
My nephew is a service writer at a dealership and when I was considering the PC he told me about numerous nightmare situations after installing them. I decided I can live with the lazy accerater.
Probably safer. I'll be honest, it only gives you the illusion that it makes your truck faster. I do regret buying it. I am probably not going to bother re-connecting it but I'd have liked to at least have tried it. Didn't get that far lol

edgarrian

Reaction score
I purchased the pedal commander for my 19 a few months after getting it. I installed myself. Never had any issues. It works. You can tell with the different settings. It could be that the dealer isn't installing correctly

BackCountryinNJ

banned at member request but still lurking
Reaction score
I have one in my 5th gen Ram with no problems. I also had one in my 4th gen....which did give me an error code after install. It was completely my fault though.... You have to follow the instructions exactly when installing it. You shut off the truck and leave the driver's door open for about 5 minutes. But...when you're doing that, the key FOB MUST be a away from the truck. I forget the distance....but I think it might be something like 30 feet minimum. When I first installed it on my 4th gen, I had the key FOB in my pocket, too close to the truck and immediately got an error. After I reinstalled it correctly, drove for years with it and never got another error message.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok I will try that thanks. My only concern is will this cause the apps and cameras to stop working as that's what I've read.

They’ll reappear it just takes some time.

I had a issue on my 4th gen with the pedal commandar so I skipped it all together on the new truck. I know some guys haven’t had issues but imo not worth the pain/hassle.

JohnGow383

Reaction score
They’ll reappear it just takes some time.

I had a issue on my 4th gen with the pedal commandar so I skipped it all together on the new truck. I know some guys haven’t had issues but imo not worth the pain/hassle.

Every app seemed to work immediatly which was good. Only thing I had to do was lock and unock the doors with the key fob to get keyless entry to work again.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Your dealer installed a Pedal Commander? That seems highly unusual. Seems they would be dead set against adding something like that on a brand new factory delivered vehicle. Most are real skittish about aftermarket products and some would even try to tell you it will void your warranty.

I’ve been running my PC for over 5 months now with zero issues. Just let it set on City +2 and that seems like the best for me for everyday driving. Not too sensitive.

JohnGow383

Reaction score
Your dealer installed a Pedal Commander? That seems highly unusual. Seems they would be dead set against adding something like that on a brand new factory delivered vehicle. Most are real skittish about aftermarket products and some would even try to tell you it will void your warranty.

I’ve been running my PC for over 5 months now with zero issues. Just let it set on City +2 and that seems like the best for me for everyday driving. Not too sensitive.
Yeah I must state, I'm in the UK, so maybe things are different here. They also did my lift and Borla exhaust.
Do you use the app to change the modes? I want to find a mode I like so it's not too crazy but a little quicker than it is so the powers there if I need. I am thinking it maybe because I used the app and was cycling through modes quickly. I was just trying to test the app not the modes. I may have another go at re-installing it myself and being very careful.

lapoolboy

Reaction score
Not necessarily. My dealer actually recommended one to me as a fix for the laggy accelerator. They install them on all the trucks they upfit with lifts, wheels, etc.

JohnGow383

Reaction score
Maybe a Pulsar instead?
Well it's a bit late now tbh. I am ordering a Tazer so at least I'll be able to view and clear the codes if it happens again.
I don't want it to be too crazy (given the price of fuel here which is equivelent to 7.50 a US gallon) and drive completely inefficiently, but to basically remove the lag a bit.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yeah I must state, I'm in the UK, so maybe things are different here. They also did my lift and Borla exhaust.
Do you use the app to change the modes? I want to find a mode I like so it's not too crazy but a little quicker than it is so the powers there if I need. I am thinking it maybe because I used the app and was cycling through modes quickly. I was just trying to test the app not the modes. I may have another go at re-installing it myself and being very careful.
I use the app. My control stays stashed up under the dash.

Users who are viewing this thread