5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Payload

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I only did this once, not planning on doing that much weight again. I paid $100 and the guy said "we can just fill it up for that price" :cool:(y):eek: I thought $250-$300 of free rock, so I said "sure". I am guessing from the weight distribution that at least 15-30% of the weight was on the front wheels so the rear was probably loading about 2800-3400 and 600-1200 was on the front. Nothing got loose, no tires exploded, no small animals were harmed, and the planet is still spinning (depending on who you talk to). LOL :ROFLMAO:

P.S. I own 3 trailers but wasn't expecting them to give me buy one, get three free rock.

smashweights

Reaction score
+1 happy guy with the air suspension auto leveling. Drove a relatively dry pallet of sod about 6 miles home twice yesterday. The air suspension leveled it out beautifully. Ride was a bit floaty but the truck handled, drove, and stopped not much differently than empty. Did great with 1.5 cu yards of topsoil and 1.5 cu yards of mulch as well. Payload rating 1428lbs. IMG_20200407_151414.jpg IMG_20200407_102905.jpg IMG_20200404_141510.jpg

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
+1 happy guy with the air suspension auto leveling. Drove a relatively dry pallet of sod about 6 miles home twice yesterday. The air suspension leveled it out beautifully. Ride was a bit floaty but the truck handled, drove, and stopped not much differently than empty. Did great with 1.5 cu yards of topsoil and 1.5 cu yards of mulch as well. Payload rating 1428lbs. View attachment 51774 View attachment 51775 View attachment 51776
That's awesome. Love mine as well.
Most I carried so far was about 1000 lbs of mulch last October for my son's Eagle Scout project.
Same outcome. Auto leveled and you'd never know if was loaded. AS rocks.

F9E6FDAC-ED8B-4113-AF91-CA9C5D3DEC97.jpeg

dandar

Reaction score
I have Limited with 1300+ pounds payload rating. I carried wood pellets in it. 1000 pounds each, a bunch of times so far. It drives pretty much normal. I probably could carry a ton in it for short trips but air suspension is giving me a pause.

smashweights

Reaction score
I have Limited with 1300+ pounds payload rating. I carried wood pellets in it. 1000 pounds each, a bunch of times so far. It drives pretty much normal. I probably could carry a ton in it for short trips but air suspension is giving me a pause.

Based on reading, a pallet of sod is probably around 1500-2000 if it's not very wet. I wasn't thrilled about hauling it but given the short distance took the chance. The AS certainly looks like it handles the weight better than this dude's leaf springs who left right before me... IMG_20200407_120207.jpg

If I were doing this again I'd probably rent a trailer. I had only planned on taking half a pallet at a time but the guy at the landscape shop talked me into doing the whole thing. Probably to save his team the trouble of splitting the pallet...

upwindstorm

Reaction score
So what equipment effects your payload rating from the factory? :unsure: Tires and suspension components id imagine? surely the frame and rear axle would be the same from a laramie rated at 1300lbs and a tradesman rated at 1800 lbs?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
So what equipment effects your payload rating from the factory? :unsure: Tires and suspension components id imagine? surely the frame and rear axle would be the same from a laramie rated at 1300lbs and a tradesman rated at 1800 lbs?
All the extras that higher spec’d trucks have like pano roof, retractable steps, leather seating, motors for ventilated seats, etc. etc. It all adds up.

smashweights

Reaction score
All the extras that higher spec’d trucks have like pano roof, retractable steps, leather seating, motors for ventilated seats, etc. etc. It all adds up.

Yup. They all start with the same payload but every pound of equipment reduces your capacity. Technically if you take your wife and kid your reducing your payload by their (and your) weight as well.

DavidNJ

Reaction score
The 4-link rear suspension air springs is head and shoulders above any of the competitors. Kelderman offers similar suspensions for 2500 and 3500 pickups. It can cost $10k or more for the complete front/rear setup. With the RAM 1500 it is standard in the Limited, and just $1500 on the other models.

This is a picture of the 4-link air rear suspension for a 2020 Ram 3500:

10005561-003[1].jpg

Users who are viewing this thread