5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Payload??!! Truck Shopping and Travel Trailer Shopping

AstroBacon

Reaction score
So I'm searching for a truck and travel trailer. I'm wanting to hear from all the towing police about can/can't tow it.

The TT we're looking at is the Forest River Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS:
Length: 26"
Hitch Weight: 709 lbs (I've seen 800 lbs fully loaded: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/travel-trailer-recommendations.18738/#post-257193)
UVW: 5300 lbs
Cargo Carrying Capacity: 1569 lbs
GVWR: 6869 lbs

I currently have a Nissan Frontier 4.0L V6 2x4 CC Class IV receiver:
Curb Weight: 4462
Max Towing Capacity: 6300
GCWR: 11230
GVWR: 5730
Payload Capacity: 1268 (from the sticker)

Now technically I could tow this with my Nissan. It would have to be dry, and no cargo, blah, blah, blah. It would be no fun at all though, and I think there would be some concerns about the tongue weight as well.

So,I'm looking at the 2021 Ram 1500 Limited 4x4 V8 Hemi with eTorque CC 5'7" box. I haven't found exactly what I want out there, but I'm super disappointed looking at the stickers posted for the "Actual Payload" in the sticky thread (https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/please-post-your-tire-and-loading-sticker.374/)

Basically I'm seeing that for Ram 1500 Limited, you're looking at a payload of about 1270-1450 lbs...
Is that right????
Should I be looking for a new full size truck so I can get an additional 0-182 lbs in payload capacity????
I can carry basically 1 more full grown adult? That seems crazy.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A 1500 can tow a large trailer. It can not haul the family and gear while towing that large trailer

What you get with the 1500 over the frontier is stability. The 1500a base weight will be about the frontiers gross weight.

You will have a much more pleasant tow...but the stuff in the truck will have to be about the same.

Why I have a 2500. My camper could easily be towed by your frontier. But my truck is loaded with about 2400lbs when we go out...that is half the weight of the frontier and almost twice its payload.

Anything specific you want to know...we can crunch numbers.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Limited 1500's and hauling/towing do not mix. Most dealer equipped Limited's have a payload closer to 1000 lbs, some even below that. A base 4x4 Hemi Tradesman will have around mid 1800 lb capacity for comparison. Leather this and power that add up quick

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a Lone Star (aka Big Horn) lvl 2 equipment and my payload is 1743. I am actually looking at the Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S which is the same as the Flagstaff you are looking at. And also looking at the Keystone Premier 26UDPR.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I'm asking if my numbers are correct. Is a Limited really no better than a Frontier in payload capacity?
With the metric of just payload capacity. Yes they will be similar. A limited is a heavy truck.

A tradesman will net much larger payload.

A quad cab will also net more payload...as wheel a 2wd over a 4wd

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
****DO NOT TAKE THIS AS ADVICE OR FACT AND DON"T SAY I SAID TO TRY THIS AT HOME (YMMV)**** However I tow a 9,300-9,500 Lb boat with about 980-1,075 LB tongue weight (Depending on loading front or rear of inside of boat) and regularly take 4 passengers with me and a huge floating mat in the truck bed exceeding my payload by 300-450 Lbs at least 15 times per year for a 1 hour to the lake and 1 hour back (75 MPH Freeway down to 25MPH city streets) with no trouble or feeling of white knuckle towing. The Air Suspension makes it perfectly level and it rides smooth and stable. ****NOT TO BE TAKEN AS YOU TO DO THIS, BUT TO MAKE YOU SEE HOW MUCH MORE CAPABLE THAN RATED THESE TRUCKS ARE**** now return to your regular programming.....

Lake Ram

Reaction score
A limited is a luxury vehicle. You sacrifice capability for luxury. My Bighorn has ths tow package and not much else. 1802 lb payload. It sure aint a Limited, but it has pretty much max tow.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I hate to say this, since I'm a large fan of the current Ram's; but their weakness at this point is payload. If that is your main concern, your best looking at Chevy/Ford as trim for trim, they will have more available payload by several hundred pounds. I believe Ford is the king of payload, and you can probably get an extra few hundred pounds in a top trim Ford or Chevy.

But. To me there is far more to a truck than payload. If you want to stick with Ram, as Lake Ram suggested, just drop down to a Big Horn or something. I have a very well equipped Big Horn as well, with 1750 pounds of payload.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Other than a few of the "fancier" design features you can get a well equipped big horn or laramie and still have a decent amount of payload. If you're more concerned about payload than luxury driving to the grocery store then drop Ram Boxes, MFT, and pano roof. That'll gain you a few hundred pounds.

My dad has a Frontier, my brother has an Xterra, I had a Titan 12 for years. Almost any gen5 Ram is going to kick the crap out of one of those vehicles on interior comfort and ride quality. After being in the Rram, my dad's truck feels like it's riding on 2x4's for shocks.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My nephew just stayed with us for a few days and brought his brand new GMC 1500 4x4 crew cab pickup. Well equipped but not as well equipped as my Longhorn. His payload is 1545 compared to 1479 for my Long horn. Very comparable.

barr0208

Reaction score
With the metric of just payload capacity. Yes they will be similar. A limited is a heavy truck.

A tradesman will net much larger payload.

A quad cab will also net more payload...as wheel a 2wd over a 4wd
on the 2 wheel drive you lose the 4100lb rear axle so the best payload should be a quad cab 4x4

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The best payload and trailering is a quad cab 2wd with V6(payload) and Hemi(towing)

With that said a 2wd is 3700 front and 4100 rear.

The 200lbs lost on the front is made up by the 4x4 axle and transfer case.

A 2wd quad cab with the Dana super 60 is the king...but I have yet to see anyone have bought one.

@barr0208 you had it backwards

Front axle GAWR. 2wd 3700 4wd 3900
Rear axle GAWR. 2wd 4100 4wd 4100

The quad cab is the lightest configuration. 2wd being lighter than 4wd. The v6 being lighter than the HEMI.

The Dana super 60 is only available on 2wd. And with the Hemi is the towing king.

Ezsailor

Reaction score
The 2wd has 200lbs less GVWR but 4x4 weighs 240lbs more. So 40lb advantage to the 2wd.
Zeronet:
I have a similar trailer and considering a 2021 1500 w/ full suspension. Any thoughts on the size of the box? I'm assuming a 6'4" due to the slightly longer wheelbase... Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread