5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Payload Rant - Ford Maverick $20K versus $76K for RAM Limited and has a higher payload

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So that payload capacity of the Maverick would drop with added options just like the Ram. And what is the towing capacity? The TFL video said it could only tow 2k lbs

The one video they put three dirt bikes in the bed, but it wasn't ideal. I'm sure they would fit better in your Ram, and the truck would still ride better. And there was no room in the bed for the gear, so they had three bikes, but could only fit two riders in the cab to go anywhere.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm happy with my 1800 lb payload, considering it's equipped with a V8 and 4x4.

Most of those mavericks are... front wheel drive🤮. If you want AWD you can't have the fuel sipping hybrid that they tout and you get the high strung 2.0 turbo. Also the ride is bone shaking

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm happy with my 1800 lb payload, considering it's equipped with a V8 and 4x4.

Most of those mavericks are... front wheel drive🤮. If you want AWD you can't have the fuel sipping hybrid that they tout and you get the high strung 2.0 turbo. Also the ride is bone shaking
AWD only comes with the non-hybrid 2.0L Turbo. The hybrids are an NA 2.5L fwd only.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is my Neighbors Power Ram 50. Man do i want it...but I got enough trucks(if it was a manual I would be the owner).
20211220_205711.jpg

And I bet it has more payload than a fully loaded limited. Atleast it has real axles.

But what the hell is it gonna do better than a 5th Gen RAM...hell it probably gets worse MPG.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Ford Maverick says it has a 1500 pound payload
The ford ranger is 1860
The RAM Big Horn on the website says it has a 2,020 pound payload (only 500 pounds more than this teeny tiny city truck)

How does a Maverick that's smaller than a box of matches have just 500 pounds less payload than a half ton RAM? Why would someone spend $35,000 on a RAM when they can $22K on a Maverick and get just 500 pounds less?

The unfortunate kicker and something, while not quite buyer's remorse is annoying, that I wish I knew going into this my Limited has a maximum payload of just 1,000 pounds because of options. So you mean to tell me that I could have saved $50,000 USD and had 500 pounds more payload by purchasing a maverick?

I'm annoyed slightly. Someone help me be less annoyed please. I don't really need towing capabilities. I need payload as I put two 550 pound motorcycles in the back with people. That was my goal all along and it seems I could have done that and saved a lot of money. I love my truck but how did Ford get 1500 pounds of payload out of such a tiny vehicle?

size-of-ford-maverick.jpg
I’m no engineer, this is purely just my opinion but I feel that ram really underrated the GVWR of these 5th gens, for how much they did on these new trucks to increase capacities, I feel 7300-7500 ( for crew cab 4x4) would’ve put the rams in a much better position for payload in the big three. My friends GMC Sierra ( crew cab 4x4 ) has a 7300 pound gvwr, his RAWR is 4150, ours is 4100. I follow axle ratings more than gvwr as those are the important weight ratings.

As for the maverick, well that little thing is just a toy for city folks to drive around in pretending they own a truck🤣

SD Rebel

Reaction score
One of the other things with the Maverick is that it has a fine print that states the payload has to be divided between the bed and cab . No more than 1000lbs in the bed .

Not bad though, if you have a single 200 lbs driver in the RAM, you still only have about 1300 lbs you can put in the bed. In my case, I will likely have 700 lbs in the cab with passengers, and and 800 lbs left to put in the bed.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m no engineer, this is purely just my opinion but I feel that ram really underrated the GVWR of these 5th gens, for how much they did on these new trucks to increase capacities, I feel 7300-7500 ( for crew cab 4x4) would’ve put the rams in a much better position for payload in the big three. My friends GMC Sierra ( crew cab 4x4 ) has a 7300 pound gvwr, his RAWR is 4150, ours is 4100. I follow axle ratings more than gvwr as those are the important weight ratings.

As for the maverick, well that little thing is just a toy for city folks to drive around in pretending they own a truck🤣
I like the Sumosprings to add a little spring capacity, up to the axle GWR. Shhh, don't tell anyone, it'll be our little secret.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Pretty sure my buddies Minivan has more payload than my RAM.. but I wouldn't want to hook my trailer upto his Minivan and go for a spin.
My parents have a Mercedes mini van (Metris) with a 2,500 lb payload, but a towing capacity of only 5,000 lbs

sylent_snyper

Reaction score
I've done tons of track days and dirt days in a 2005 Colorado, a 2015 Canyon and now in my RAM 1500 all crew cabs. 1 bike plus gear and ramps in the back of the Colorado and Canyon used up nearly every inch of space. Then add 2-3 people in the cab and you feel every pound.

The cab space alone in the RAM is worth the price plus it handles the weight better and doesn't feel like it has to work anywhere near as hard as the other two. I'm sure the Maverick would be similar.

I contemplated a small trailer for the bikes and then gear in the bed when I had the mid-sized trucks but really didn't have the space to store a trailer. I don't regret the jump to a full-size truck at all.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Payload is a tug of war between regulations, engineers, marketing and lawyers. The engineers design the truck according to what marketing (product planning, etc.) wants and the regulations require (i.e. specific Federal formulas and requirements for towing). They build the truck to exceed those parameters and then go out and test it, test it some more, and find out the limits of it's real world capability.

THEN, the lawyers come in and take X% off the top to make sure that there's no chance the company can be liable when something bad happens. The goal is to make it 100% certain that a judge or jury finds it's "more probable than not" that negligent operation is the cause of a mishap (grossly overloaded vehicle caused the accident).

Moreover, full size light duty trucks are EVERYTHING to the big 3 automakers. If Ford, GM, or Stellantis get it wrong in their trucks the company would go bankrupt. So they make absolutely sure nothing jeopardizes that... like bad press and class actions for an unsafe product. They are all playing the same game... they all follow the same agreed upon rules. That's why all 3 MFG's have the same or similar ratings.

As an exercise, go look at a payload rating of a very well equipped F-150. I guarantee it will be no where near the 2,300 lbs Ford advertises for the F-150 model range. Not even close. My Rebel even has a higher payload than my neighbors 2019 F-150 Platinum.

Also, Ford has been putting a large number of disclaimers in their ratings lately, like someone pointed out... only 1,000lbs in the bed... or as TFL discovered, decreasing the tow rating for every 1,000 ft above sea level. My guess they are feeling the squeeze by what's technically possible and necessary for sales.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's kind of funny we're still calling them "half-tons" when a significant percentage of them can handle 3/4 ton of payload. Same with the 3/4 and one-tons--they can handle more than their "category."

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's kind of funny we're still calling them "half-tons" when a significant percentage of them can handle 3/4 ton of payload. Same with the 3/4 and one-tons--they can handle more than their "category."
Also kind of funny that we call 1500-level trucks "full-size" pickups. What's a 3500 dually then? Star Destroyer-size?

fishslayer

Reaction score
You must be too young to remember the Toyota One Ton pickups in the 1980s.

HAHA I remember those.. buddy og mine bought one. Thought he could pull a FIFTH WHEEL !! what they didnt tell you was it could only pull the weight 45mph and just hope theres no big hill on the way ..

Users who are viewing this thread